What am I doing wrong?

KenK

Featured Posts

Would second that, just had a weeks trip to Chester no hassles or arguments . went through all the double locks with hire boats , no problems , had a problem with my batteries while in Chester, boater moored next to me gave me an almost new 220 w battery as he had no use for it on his boat, would only take price of a drink for it. (Who says the canal spirit is dead)

• Greenie 1

I have to say that in three weeks of ownership I have met only great people. I have spent hours chatting on the towpath to people and got excellent advise from many boaters, especially yesterday when trying to wind at Enslow (failed as it happened as the water level was too low and Tesla too long!).

What am I doing wrong?

What you have done wrong is to let the cat out of the bag. Now all those people south of Birmingham on congested canals populated by grumpy boaters will start looking to come north and spoil our nice peaceful friendly canals.

I do wish people would stop posting on here saying how wonderful the northern Shroppie, the Caldon, the Weaver are.

Having just returned from a three week trip around the Four Counties and few days on the Weaver and a side trip up the Caldon I've been catching up on the forum.

In three weeks I haven't had my pins pulled out, no one has gone past the boat excessivly fast. I've waited for other boaters at locks and other boaters have waited for me. I happily let a boat go past me after the Harecastle tunnel and they said thanks. I didn't meet a grumpy operator on the Anderton lift, I met someone whom I hadn't seen in seven years who now works there. Everyone I met was cheerful despite the not exceptional weather, even, dare I say it, the few fishermen we passed.

The Weaver was brilliant didn't see another boat for two days and the shopping in Northwich was excellent. The lift was far easier than expected even Mrs K enjoyed it and she hates heights.

The Four Counties was interesting and varied and we had some sunny days. We met up with a couple of friends in Market Drayton and discovered it's the home of Gingerbread (not a lot of people know that, to coin a phrase)

The Caldon was very pretty in parts and yes the boat does fit the Froghall tunnel, just, and the gauge is pessemistic. Scraped a little paint but that's because you crouch so low you can't see to steer.

So what am I doing wrong, why don't I meet all these nasty, speeding, lock stealing boaters

One final point I discovered the difference between BW and C&RT when something has failed a paddle etc. C&RT notices are very polite no longer a BW Aware bit of sticky tape but a neat typed notice which explains the problem and apologises for the inconvenience. They still don't fix it but they are very polite about not doing so!

Happy Boating :cheers:

Ken

You need to follow forum advice more closely.

Today I was walking down the towpath of the K&A on a balmy warm evening with my shopping, when I heard the "ting-ting" of a bicycle speeding up behind me. I'm afraid i momentarily forgot forum advice to "Stand my ground" and actually stopped and stood aside! The lycra clad speedster said a cheery "thankyou" as he passed, I nodded and smiled and we both went happily on our way.......Only later did I realise that I'd missed the opertunity for a confrontation that would have run to several grumpy CWDF pages.

• Greenie 2

Today I was walking down the towpath of the K&A on a balmy warm evening with my shopping, when I heard the "ting-ting" of a bicycle speeding up behind me. I'm afraid i momentarily forgot forum advice to "Stand my ground" and actually stopped and stood aside! The lycra clad speedster said a cheery "thankyou" as he passed, I nodded and smiled and we both went happily on our way.......Only later did I realise that I'd missed the opertunity for a confrontation that would have run to several grumpy CWDF pages.

Small steps, small steps. At least the cyclist spent a quid on a ting-ting.

Its wimps like you that make life hard for us grumpy old gits. Standing aside for some plonker on a vehicle, not happening my way anytime soon, the cyclist can stand aside as he passes :cheers:

Tim

Reminds me of a lovely little incident last year on the W&B. Young lady (quite attractive, not that it's relevant of course) jogging gently along the towpath, ears plugged into music. Cyclist approaches from behind, but she can't hear him. So he didn't kill her or anything, just went at her pace until she turned off.

I'm sure she never knew he was there!

Reminds me of a lovely little incident last year on the W&B. Young lady (quite attractive, not that it's relevant of course) jogging gently along the towpath, ears plugged into music. Cyclist approaches from behind, but she can't hear him. So he didn't kill her or anything, just went at her pace until she turned off.

I'm sure she never knew he was there!

Oh.... I think being quite attractive had a bit to do with the cyclist following behind lol

Amazing just how slow a bike can get :)

Oh.... I think being quite attractive had a bit to do with the cyclist following behind lol

Amazing just how slow a bike can get :)

Yes, there's nothing like a pair of perfectly-filled lycra running sho . . . no, mustn't go there, where are my pills :blink:

[/b]

Now all those people south of Birmingham on congested canals populated by grumpy boaters will start looking to come north and spoil our nice peaceful friendly canals.

Would that be like Minshull lock where we queued about 12 deep last year for several hours ? :lol:

There is already far more congestion on popular bits of the Four Counties than we ever see in the South, so you could be better travelling down our way for your peace and quiet!

As an aside it certainly seems to be a quiet year generally - far less hold ups this year on the same popular canals as we did last year.

Agree 100% with OP though - been about 370 miles and 270 locks so far on the big summer trip, and only met a couple of complete tossers, (who I suspect would be equally tossers whatever "hobby" they decided to take up!).

I think NBW writers sit at home and make it up, and ,maybe don't even actually have boats at all - I rarely see the behaviours they try to pretend are commonplace, but saying how well behaved and friendly everybody is is hardly the raison d'etre for that particular site, is it ?

Now all those people south of Birmingham on congested canals populated by grumpy boaters will start looking to come north and spoil our nice peaceful friendly canals.

Don't we have our own resident "grumpy boater" somewhat North of Birmingham?

Hello Ken

Your story is almost plausible.

We've been up this way for a fair few months now and it is very very good.

The Weaver is indeed truly wonderful, and we have only been shouted at a couple of times (some of these northern hobby boaters just don't understand 70 foot boats and the concept that making the front go one way involves the back needing to go the other way, or that a woman CAN handle a boat).

We also moored a few yards from a winding hole (as you do on the K&A) and a passing boater went ballistic.

and there IS one rather difficult person at the Anderton lift, though the lift operators themselves are lovely!

but......

>>>>Good shopping in Northwich??????<<<

Northwich has two lovely swing bridges but we did not find any good shops (except M&S and a long walk to Sainsbury's).

Some fine pubs up north though and good beer at sensible prices.

A little sad to be heading back towards the K&A

.............Dave (and Gillie)