Mooring on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I know this has been done to death, but I can never find the older threads when I want to read them, so here goes.

We shall be moving Helvetia from Dadford's Wharf some time towards the weekend and depending on progress may need to moor overnight somewhere between Gas Street Basin and Salford Junction. I know there are moorings at Vincent Street bridge, and also just before Salford Junction, but I wondered if there was anywhere in between if we do not have sufficient time to reach the juncion before the evening.

I seem to remember that there used to be moorings at the top of Farmers bridge flight but the last ime I did those locks was more than 40 yeras ago, so things may just have changed a bit! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and it could be Saturday night so anywhere that avoids noise from revellers would be helpful.

Cuckoo Bridge wharf is the place, although I haven't stopped there. I have moored at the top of the Aston flight near the University, but that was many years ago.

ETA ---- Top of Farmers Bridge would be no good to you ---- you would only have gone a few yards.

Edited by Midnight Rider

I know this has been done to death, but I can never find the older threads when I want to read them, so here goes.

We shall be moving Helvetia from Dadford's Wharf some time towards the weekend and depending on progress may need to moor overnight somewhere between Gas Street Basin and Salford Junction. I know there are moorings at Vincent Street bridge, and also just before Salford Junction, but I wondered if there was anywhere in between if we do not have sufficient time to reach the juncion before the evening.

I seem to remember that there used to be moorings at the top of Farmers bridge flight but the last ime I did those locks was more than 40 yeras ago, so things may just have changed a bit! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and it could be Saturday night so anywhere that avoids noise from revellers would be helpful.

There are moorings near the top of Farmers Bridge but as has been said that is less than a mile from Gas St. Once you have completed the Farmers Bridge flight (my favourite urban flight) you come to Aston Junction where there are visitor moorings, however you rarely see boats moored there. Certainly OK for a lunchtime stop and Probably OK for a night stop, but it is not the best area (not the worst either). After that you have the Aston flight, and I think near the bottom there is a long pound with a newish commercial development on the left (offside). There are rings but it is slightly isolated. I think there is CCTV so probably OK and I think better than Aston Junction. After that it is Cuckoo Wharf permanent moorings where there are limited visitor moorings. Then just a short distance to Salford. I can't think of anywhere I would want to moor between Salford and the N side of Minworth. After that plenty of mooring options until you get to Fazeley (and after that as well of course). Curdwort visitor moorings are in a cutting and not particularly nice - we always carry on a couple of hundred yards to near Curdworth top lock where there is good piling and peace - despite the proximity of the M6 toll feeder (never any traffic on the M6 toll at night!).

Curdworth flight is very picturesque but can be noisy due to the M42. The noise fades by the Dog in Doublet pub, but our favourite mooring is a few locks further down, just below the bottom lock at Kingsbury Water Park.

I've also moored overnight at Butler's Bridge a couple of times, between Salford and Minworth Top. It seemed reasonably secure because there were security guards patrolling the carpark there all night (although that was a couple of years ago, I don't know if they still do so)

I had assumed that the Dadford's Wharf David was referring to was the one on the Stourbridge Canal, in which case David will have already come up sixteen locks and quite a mileage to get that far.

It is possible to moor at a number of places once down Farmers Bridge Top Lock, but not in the Framers Bridge Flight. If not wishing to start down the Aston Locks I would suggest heading towards Ashted and mooring in the middle of the University Campus.

About 8 locks down Aston there is a relatively modern office development (early 90s) with moorings. They do say no mooring but you are unlikely to be troubled. Otherwise carry on to Cuckoo Wharf.

Things may have changed since two years ago but don't assume you will have a good run, the last thing you need is to think you can "just" get down them only to find empty pounds in front of you. And also some locks are under railway bridges, which makes failing light virtually pitch black. This is bitter and recent experience talking!

You can moor reasonably securely and quietly outside Aston Uni just before the first lock on the Ashted flight, but will need to reverse back to Aston junction unless you have a little boat.

Also as reversing is the theme, you could get down to Salford junction and then turn back up towards the Garrison flight and moor on the offside mooring outside Star City.

Steve

I had assumed that the Dadford's Wharf David was referring to was the one on the Stourbridge Canal, in which case David will have already come up sixteen locks and quite a mileage to get that far.

Only 16? :unsure:

One at Blowers Green, eight at Black Delft and then Dadfords is a good half to three quarters of the way down the '16'

There're still moorings at the top of Farmer's Bridge. Gas St on a weekend night (payday weekend too) might be noisy. Quietest spot, Vincent st or maybe outside the NIA just past old turn. Don't forget to pay a visit to the Prince of Wales on Cambridge St.

Some very helpful suggestions there thanks, I have made some notes. I don't think we will be attempting Dadford's wharf (on the Stourbridge) to Gas Street in one day - I'm not Alan Fincher :lol: We will probably head for Merryhill for the first night and take the opportunity to get in some provisions, or possibly Dudley Port if we get off to an early start, and then on to Birmingham on the second day, it just depends on when we get there as to whether we decide to moor up at Gas Street or move on down Farmer's bridge flight.

Neil, it is Farmer's Bridge flight that I have not worked for more than forty years, not Gas Street basin. We were there just over a month ago, but I agree that it has changed quite a bit, although most of the old buildings along the towpath are still there. Once we reach Salford Junction we are on reasonably familiar territory

Edited by David Schweizer

Some very helpful suggestions there thanks, I have made some notes. I don't think we will be attempting Dadford's wharf (on the Stourbridge) to Gas Street in one day, I am not Alan Fincher :lol: We will probably head for Merryhill for the first night and take the opportunity to get in some provisions, or possibly Dudley Port if we get off to an early start, and then on to Birmingham on the second day, it just depends on when we get there as to whether we decide to moor up at Gas Street or move on down Farmer's bridge flight.

Neil, it is Farmer's Bridge flight that I have not worked for more than forty years, not Gas sStreet basin. We were there just over a month ago, but I agree that it has changed quite a bit, although most of the old buildings along the towpath are still there. Once we reach Salford Junction we are on reasonably familiar territory

Whilst I think of it we found a lovely little pub of the shabby miscellaneous upholstered couches variety, right at Worcester Bar. I think it used to be a cafe. Fairly adjacent to the Tap and Spile. Worth popping in for a quick one or several!

Things may have changed since two years ago but don't assume you will have a good run, the last thing you need is to think you can "just" get down them only to find empty pounds in front of you. And also some locks are under railway bridges, which makes failing light virtually pitch black. This is bitter and recent experience talking!

Generally both Farmers Bridge and Aston seem pretty good to us, and we have not had problems with low levels or failed infrastructure. Farmer's bridge locks I consider very easy ones.

Ashtead always feels less maintained by comparison, but you'll not be going that way unless you detour, (and if you do, watch your new paint in that tunnel!)

As you say the Finchers don't hang about, (!) so we just did Old Turn to just above the bottom lock at Minworth in a day, (12 miles, 37 locks, about 8.5 hours), but if I wanted to do shorter steps, then Cuckoo Wharf looked a good choice to us as well.

Once you're at Merry Hell might as well keep motoring. 3 maybe 4 hours to Brum.

As you say the Finchers don't hang about, (!) so we just did Old Turn to just above the bottom lock at Minworth in a day, (12 miles, 37 locks, about 8.5 hours), but if I wanted to do shorter steps, then Cuckoo Wharf looked a good choice to us as well.

From Old Turn I've always made the Dog & Doublet for tea. (Northern tea btw) does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:

We stopped at Curdworth moorings by the tunnel last time and had no problems. Relatively peaceful.

Dan

Find the Beehive in Curdworth - a bit further away than the other pub, but well worth it, good food and ale, and much more down to earth feel to the place. It's a nice village to stroll through on an evening, too!

We moored between the tunnel and the bridge, no traffic noise, and only the early-morning arrivals at Birmingham airport to disturb you if you aren't use to those things, like wot we are down in Cornwall!

Edited by chykensa

Im moored by top lock farmers bridge. Easy to moor. Free for 14 days, shower, water and safe. I'm here til Saturday. I'll even walk down and help you with the locks if you approach by then.

I have just heard from the painter that the boat will be finished by Friday pm, but as there is no one at the wharf over the weekend, we will not be in Birmingham until wednesday at the earliest, but thanks for the offer.