'Renting' out your narrowboat to friends/family.

DomX

Featured Posts

...essentially it's an insured lump of metal that I hope will bring joy to as many of my friends and family as possible!

That's exactly the attitude that Dave and Jan took when they first offered us the use of Carrie~Lou. They were simply delighted that they had such an asset to offer and were happy to see someone else getting the same enjoyment out of her that they did. Although they offered on several occasions and we were positively itching to go boating, it took several attempts before we finally decided to take them up on their offer! It's a huge responsibility to be in charge of someone else's pride and joy and we were SO worried about it...

We were absolutely petrified that something would go wrong and it would sour our friendship, but we needn't have worried. We always respect any boats we use and I'm pleased to say that we've had several very memorable trips on her. We are careful with any boats we use, whether they are hired or borrowed and always aim to return them in the same or better condition...

Theo was also kind enough to loan his boat Theodora to us, to allow us to fulfill a long held ambition to cruise in the midst of winter which we simply couldn't do on a hire boat...we had actually already met Jan and Dave when they offered us the use of Carrie~Lou, so they sort of knew us, but we'd never met Theo and his lovely wife...they offered us the use of their boat purely because of our relationship on CWDF...there are some wonderful and trusting members on here...

We met them for the first time when they handed over the keys to their boat! If it hadn't been for them I doubt we'd ever have had the opportunity to do the River Soar and the Erewash...that was the most fantastic cruise! I can't say that I was too enamoured about a frozen Elsan point but breaking ice back to the marina and having Canada geese use our wake to find some free water is an image that will live with me forever and something that we simply couldn't have done without their generosity.

In both cases no money changed hands and none was expected or asked for...we simply replaced any diesel used, pumped out the toilet tanks as a polite gesture, and in the case of Theodora made a voluntary contribution to their chosen charity.

I like to think that if we're ever lucky enough to own our own boat, then we'd do the same thing to allow other folk to enjoy as much as we have.

Janet

PS...If you want to lend us a boat and you need your cupboards spring cleaning, then give me a shout!

Edited by Janet S

I know there are hire companies who offer the option Martin, but there aren't that many who offer two berth boats at a reasonable price and we'd already exhausted all our options that year, having had our annual cruise earlier...

Janet

I know there are hire companies who offer the option Martin, but there aren't that many who offer two berth boats at a reasonable price and we'd already exhausted all our options that year, having had our annual cruise earlier...

Janet

Fairy nuff - it was just your post might give the impression nobody does...

(I guess you don't get a lock tutors discount then... :cheers:)

or couldn't you just liberate Strumble while no-body's looking...

Edited by The Dog House

When I moved onto my first boat, my dad and his partner came up with the idea of a boat/house swap for a couple of weeks every year. I said "Fine, you can have the boat for a couple of weeks in November or February."

I don't think that's exactly what they had in mind... :P

Edited by blackrose

...couldn't you just liberate Strumble while no-body's looking...

Ha ha! That was before I started working for CBE...!

We should be able to do it again before too long, as we're shortly bringing another two berth boat over to join the fleet at Barnoldswick.

Janet

The minute we said we were buying a boat, folk started saying 'Oooh, how much will it be to hire it', or 'Great, I can't wait to borrow it'...

EH? If they'd just bought a Lambourgini or however you spell it, would they be handing me the keys? I very much doubt it.

No, nay and never will anyone be borrowing my pride and joy. Not even if George Clooney knocked on my front door wearing a sailor's outfit would I hand him the keys.

My nearest and dearest can come and visit, and we've taken various relly's for a spin, they can stay over if they want but that's it I'm afraid.

When Brenda and I purchased Jannock part of the reason we chose an ex-hire boat was that we envisaged that both sons would grow up, leave home and want to borrow it. They have both done all of those things but we still stick to strict rules. Every crew member they take along has to attend a days training with us so that they know what to do if son/captain is taken ill or similarly incapacitated. A damage deposit is taken before they borrow it and we expect it to be cleaner when returned that when they take it over. Seems to work quite well so far.

Graham

www.jannock.org.uk

In the past I was in a position where my boat was "lent" out, twice to people we knew. At the time I did not have much say in the things that went on. I would NEVER do this again! Since then a lot of blood, sweat & tears have gone into her, literally and it would be more than I could bear.

Besides which it now comes with 3 hairy smelly 'sitting tennants' which kinda puts people off!

But If close friends wanted a trip on her, then I may be persuaded to share nicely.... :captain:

In the past I was in a position where my boat was "lent" out, twice to people we knew. At the time I did not have much say in the things that went on. I would NEVER do this again! Since then a lot of blood, sweat & tears have gone into her, literally and it would be more than I could bear.

Besides which it now comes with 3 hairy smelly 'sitting tennants' which kinda puts people off!

But If close friends wanted a trip on her, then I may be persuaded to share nicely.... :captain:

Leicester Tigers Front Row?

Lent mine to some very good friends... when I picked it up one of the deck planks had been broken (I suspect someone jumping off the roof once too often) and the portaloo was overflowing with no sanitary point in sight. One or two unadmitted large dents where they'd obviously hit a bridge. No apologies were made (in fact nothing was admitted as they'd left it before I went to get it) and no offers to pay for repairs were made either. Only reason we're still good friends is because I didn't mention it either...

Once more I lent it and it sprang a leak halfway round the SU - gasket round the propshaft gave way. They didn't bother to tell me, just brought it the rest of the way back with the bilge pump roaring permamently away trying to keep pace with the inflow, which it just about did. Moored it up and left me to deal with it.

That's two out of the four times I've lent it - moral - only lend it if you are prepared for damage and to pay for it. I don't lend any more...