Dealing with cyclists

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Do you really think the cyclist would have been there when the Police arrived?

Not necessarily, but the Police would investigate an assault, especially since property was damaged. Also if they made a insurance claim (possibly on house insurance) for damage to the bikes they'd need a crime number so the police would have to be involved.

:( looks likes it's either the tawse or thrown in the canal then lol

Doesn't just go for inconsiderate cyclists.

They're not alone. Every kind of canal user has a few selfish and inconsiderate ones among them unfortunately

:unsure: yikes lol reminder to myself .. ahem !! jump off bike ruddy quick when near wannabe LOL I dont fancy a ducking hahahh ;)

Me too !! Cyclists ( not all ) are much like any other form on bully, stand your ground and they generaly wimp off. My concern is why buy a vehicle ( thats what a cycle is ) and use it on a path. Vehicle are meant for roads.

Tim

erm..... Isn't a boat a vehicle?

Reading lessons - many seem unable to comprehend the instruction "cyclists dismount".

You may be right,but,in defence of cyclists as a whole. Most do

Just as most boats slow down passing moored craft (not all sadly)

:rolleyes: ohhhh.... a scot trying to take on a yorkshire tyke .... erm ... no contest so its conkers at the ready ;) and reminds room, moi is a very considerate person full stop :rolleyes:

Conkers is it then :)

But please be considerate

Haven't played conkers in years lol

You may be right,but,in defence of cyclists as a whole. Most do

Just as most boats slow down passing moored craft (not all sadly)

Conkers is it then :)

But please be considerate

Haven't played conkers in years lol

OK!! I wont soak mine in vinegar and chuck them in the oven hehehe

opps!! apologises for going off topic :rolleyes:

:wacko: NO. And I aint seen many boats been driven down the towpath but plenty of pratts on pushbikes :angry:

Tim

A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum[1]) is a mobile machine that is designed or used to transport passengers or cargo. Most often vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats and aircraft

I've seen plenty of pratts on all types of vehicles

I've seen plenty of pratts on all types of vehicles

Yup so have I !! but I still aint seen a boat being driven on the towpath, but I have seen hundreds of plonkers on pesky pushbikes which are far better suited to the road although even there they are a pain in the bloody arress as most dont obey any signs or comply with any legislation..............not that I am anti cyclist............I just think they should all be shot at birth :D

Tim

I am sure that most people would agree that there are : inconsiderate cyclists, boaters, fishing people, joggers, you name it the blighters are everywhere, Its just a sad fact of life today. What can we all do about ??? hmm... IMO being polite and pointing out the errors of their ways :) it might work with a few it might not.

edited cos I forgot a bit ... whispers I also have a kayak .... OH!! tree lol should have kept that one quiet LOL ;)

Edited by tree

Yup so have I !! but I still aint seen a boat being driven on the towpath, but I have seen hundreds of plonkers on pesky pushbikes which are far better suited to the road although even there they are a pain in the bloody arress as most dont obey any signs or comply with any legislation..............not that I am anti cyclist............I just think they should all be shot at birth :D

Tim

Can't say I've seen many cyclists being proper pratts in the canal either? But hey......

I'm a live and let live guy. There's a chain reaction to life. get rid of one thing and it has a knock on effect

I am sure that most people would agree that there are : inconsiderate cyclists, boaters, fishing people, joggers, you name it the blighters are everywhere, Its just a sad fact of life today. What can we all do about ??? hmm... IMO being polite and pointing out the errors of their ways :) it might work with a few it might not.

Conkers is it then lol

( but I have to agree with what you say)

I wonder if the time has come when cyclists ought to have a unique registration number and some form of compulsory third party insurance. It is not all cyclists that are inconsiderate but I fear there may be a significant proportion of them who don't give a damn for other towpath users of any description.

Using the same logic you should advocate banning CCing because some CCers bridgehop/never move. Oh yes while you're about make sure that boaters in marinas don't stay aboard overnight unless they have a residential mooring and pay council tax for it.

Don't you realise that by requiring bike licenses and insurance you'll put the good guys off taking up cycling in the first place but won't stop the "baddies" from cycling without insurance.

..............not that I am anti cyclist............I just think they should all be shot at birth :D

Good luck predicting which newborns will be cyclists!

Or do you mean "all anticyclists should be shot at birth"?

I'm a fair weather mountain bike cyclist; I enjoy cycling along the tow path as it is car free, relatively flat and pretty. It is a friendly environment to be in as most people are out and about enjoying their chosen pursuit.

I feel the problem lies with the minority who think it is a right of way and not a privilege to use the towpath but how do you encourage or enforce considerate behaviour, I don't think licensing would be of any use, how many of these speeding cyclists have a permit I wonder or even know they are supposed to have one.

As others have said, its lack of consideration by a minority of cyclists leading to ruffled feathers on the towpath and to cyclists being demonised by some on here.

Why do people cycle on paths? Speaking for myself, its because the roads are just too dangerous. An altercation with car or truck leads to far more than ruffled feathers - see ROSPA statistics.

For 2011, 107 killed, 3085 seriously injured. Should all car and truck drivers on here be demonised? (NB I acknowledge the stats imply some accidents are the fault of the cyclist).

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/cycling/facts-figures.aspx

What I see happening on here is:

1) Pick a minority group.

2) Find something to complain about, about a few of that minority.

3) Blow it up out of all proportion.

4) Feel smug and self important.

This is not a new process, politicians are especially good at it to give the impression they care.

Graham

• Greenie 1

"Cyclists dismount" on a blue sign is advisory only.

....and may prompt the reply "Oh no they don't" as the cyclist whizzes past.

It reminds me of a friend who sells records by mail order. On his packaging he always clearly writes "Records - do not bend". One of his customers reported to him that he'd received his records with the package bent double, and "Oh yes they do" scrawled across it. There is a suspicion that the Post Office sorter concerned may have been serving out his notice.

A walking pole or two carried in a strategic fashion can ensure a wide berth is given. On footpaths next to the road...." aw! Won't your mum let you ride on the road yet? "

As others have said, its lack of consideration by a minority of cyclists leading to ruffled feathers on the towpath and to cyclists being demonised by some on here.

Why do people cycle on paths? Speaking for myself, its because the roads are just too dangerous. An altercation with car or truck leads to far more than ruffled feathers - see ROSPA statistics.

For 2011, 107 killed, 3085 seriously injured. Should all car and truck drivers on here be demonised? (NB I acknowledge the stats imply some accidents are the fault of the cyclist).

This is not a new process, politicians are especially good at it to give the impression they care.

Graham

Graham

My intention was not to pick on a minority group but as I spend quite a bit of time on the towpath trying to help the National Trust I do see some very rude and intolerant cyclists - e.g. taking a rather large branch off a tree and some cyclists just push through despite the danger and some when asked to wait a couple of minutes refuse to do so. I have just ( 30 mins ago) looked out of my kitchen window across the canal to the sealed towpath of the Basingstoke Canal to see 12 or 13 lycra clad cyclists going 'hell for leather' up the towpath - there was no room for anyone else who may have been walking their dog or taking a morning constitutional.

I can understand that there is the 'give a dog a bad name' syndrome but there is a danger that the selfishness of some cyclists (who's cycles are these days quite fast) will eventually do some real damage to a person/pet on the towpath (we've already had four or five dogs injured this year alone). It almost certainly is the minority who give the majority a bad name - it is just about being courteous and thoughtful - perhaps something that is missing in a lot of society today. It doesn't necessarily apply just to cyclists of course but some can be a very obvious (and sometimes vocal) minority. I just don't want to wait until things get completely out-of-hand.

• Greenie 1

There are inconsiderate idiots. They do not limit themselves to a single "hobbie". This isn't a "sign of the times" - there has always been inconsiderate idiots. a lot of people seem to focus on the minority that are inconsiderate idiots.

Edited by grahoom
  • Greenie 1

Graham

As a road cyclist who's been hit by a car the main issue is inconsiderate behaviour on both sides. The roads are getting safer for cyclists, mainly due to a significant increase in number and drivers becoming more aware of them - safety in numbers. There are complete idiots out there who ignore the rules and it gives the rest of the group a bad name. The majority are law abiding who just want to enjoy their hobby without inconveniencing others. It needs tolerance and understanding on both sides and an understanding of who the vulnerable users are. On the roads it's the cyclist, on the footpath it's the pedestrian.

Cycling on tow paths is nowhere as much fun as a a decent set of hills on a good road bike...