US Battery XC2200

Lesd

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Its looking like time for us to replace our domestic battery bank. I'm considering the US Battery XC2200s that has been mentioned on here several time, probably 4 x 6v units @220AH giving us 440aH/12v. Plymouth Batteries sell them at £98+vat each. Does anyone know a cheaper supplier ?

Also, does anyone know if these can have a watering system installed ? I've seen one for T105s and quite like the idea of having that in place as its pretty tight on headroom where the batteries are located and Im aware that I will wreck these quickly if I dont keep topped up.

Thanks for your help

Les

We've got the T105's and I've topped them up twice in the last 9 months, and even then they were not desperate.

We charge at 14.8v and periodically equalise at 15.5v.

I expect they will get a bit more thirsty as they get older but so far I feel that topping up is not a big issue, and would not justify the cost of a watering system.

The general advice on this forum is:

Get cheapo batteries, neglect them, and replace often

or

Get good batteries, look after them, and replace less often.

Trojan/Crown and US count as good batteries so you should be checking specific gravity from time to time and doing an equalisation.

If access is bad then checking SG is a pain so the cheapo approach might be better????

.........Dave

steves batteries used to do US 2200's for a good price, but I've noted there web site has been 'suspended'

We bought 6 US2200 from Steves batteries, at the time is was the best price we could find around £75 + v.a.t We actually collected direct from their depot as we were passing on a trip. When we got there, the batteries were actually delivered to Steves Batteries by Manbat batteries from Manchester.

We noted down the details from the company van, and a few days later I got a quote from them just out of interest and was only quoted a few quid cheaper than we paid Steves batteries which is no surprise as Steves batteries would have a large discount being a regular purchaser. Still worth giving them a ring though, but delivery is £50 quid weather you order 1 or a dozen batteries as it's a fixed pallet load price.

Also the US220 is advertised as a golf cart battery, but it's been highly rated as a general leisure battery by RV users in the US and has excellent feedback over their for leisure use.

http://www.manbat.co.uk/products/golf_u.php

The price you have been quoted is about normal for US batteries, they are a tad cheaper at Tanya buit there is a delivery charge:- http://www.tayna.co.uk/US-Batteries-6-Volt-S603-1.html

We have two slightly more powerful US125 batteries in our boat and they are excellent. They are now over seven years old and still hold their charge very well. We did not even have to top them up for the first four years now it is only needed once a year, and they do not take very much.

Thanks everyone for the input, will be checking the prices from the suppliers mentioned. I need to get this done before the long dark nights arrive !

Wouldn't do any harm to phone around the usual suppliers and ask for a discount on 4, if they'll do a much better discount on 8 or so it could be worth getting together with someone else.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Tanya are the cheapest supplier I've found at £110 each for 4. Shipping for all 4 at £38

They're offering the USBatt XC2200 and the T105 for the same price.

Just need to check a few things on our wiring before I order them.

Thanks for the recommendations folks (especially David S for the Tanya details)

Les

Tanya are the cheapest supplier I've found at £110 each for 4. Shipping for all 4 at £38

They're offering the USBatt XC2200 and the T105 for the same price.

Just need to check a few things on our wiring before I order them.

Thanks for the recommendations folks (especially David S for the Tanya details)

Les

Is that a Trojan T105? If so, they're better than the 2200.

Although not directly related, it may be worth considering how batteries are used. We are still using second hand batteries bought from a forum member at just £25 each - we bought two sets of four and rotate them - the 'spare' set being properly charged at the house and then kept at full charge until exchanged for the batteries used on the boat. At such a low price we expected them to last a little more than 12 months but they are still as good as ever after three years of tough service. We may have been 'lucky' but our experience tends to indicate that there may be some merit in rotating batteries to extend their life . . .

Is that a Trojan T105? If so, they're better than the 2200.

Thats right Gibbo the Trojan T105, I think its 225Ah and the USBatt 2200 is 232ah. Would you recommend the Trojan then ? Its actually a few millimeters lower in height too which would suit me.

Thats right Gibbo the Trojan T105, I think its 225Ah and the USBatt 2200 is 232ah. Would you recommend the Trojan then ? Its actually a few millimeters lower in height too which would suit me.

The Trojan is definitely a better battery. No question about it. Slightly lower label capacity but the actual capacity is no different and they last longer. I've run long tests on both. The difference is small (very small), but it is there.

The Trojan is definitely a better battery. No question about it. Slightly lower label capacity but the actual capacity is no different and they last longer. I've run long tests on both. The difference is small (very small), but it is there.

That's good as that is what I fitted.