The Shroppie Ledge

Zayna

Featured Posts

I have just returned from my cruise and was on the Shroppie for most of June. I have an 18" draft and didn't once have a problem mooring. The wonderful Shropshire Union Canal Society have ensured that there are plenty of sites, with rings where you can moor. I had much more difficulty on the Macclesfield finding mooring spots than on the Shroppie. Oh and the Llangollen (which is of course part of the Shroppie) was excellent for mooring too. I have travelled extensively over the last few months and can say the Shroppie is my favourite canal! Ledge, what ledge? :lol:

This may be a dumb question - but why is it there? (the ledge that is)

It is the way it was built.

I suppose thinking about it the canal was built with a view to allow boats to move along it's length and it was likely the only place they were likely to stop was at a wharf of in a town. I don't think the the prospect of loads of leisure boats wishing to moor along it's length to enjoy the scenery ever came into the design

This may be a dumb question - but why is it there? (the ledge that is)

The canal has a concrete edge. A trench was dug with the diggings being used as a sort of coffer and the trench was filled with concrete to provide a footing to the canal wall. As this was just a roughly dug trench it varied in depth and width. Shuttering was then used to hold the concrete used for the vertical canal edge. When the diggings eventually washed away, the rough edge of the concrete footings was exposed to the canal. It is uneven, so when moored against it, contact might only be made at one or two points. This is why it can be so damaging if there is any movement of the boat, to the degree where not only is the blacking removed but also gouges in the steel are made.

I've seen one year old 2 part blacking removed along a line about 9 inches below the water line as a direct result.

Edited by dor

When cruising the southern part in May we also found long sections where there were slabs all along the edge sloping at a 45 degree angle, sometimes partly sticking out above the surface of the water and sometimes fully submerged. Presumably these have been added in more recent times to protect the embankment ot the foundations???

When cruising the southern part in May we also found long sections where there were slabs all along the edge sloping at a 45 degree angle, sometimes partly sticking out above the surface of the water and sometimes fully submerged. Presumably these have been added in more recent times to protect the embankment ot the foundations???

Actually, I think those are a much older part of the canal structure

Richard

It can damage your propeller as we found out one day. I think we were just very unlucky. As others have said the ledge is uneven with bits protruding.

The shelf is very pronounced at the top of Adderley locks. I othen wondered why you hardly see boats moored along that stretch.

Edited by bag 'o' bones