Alternator Service

Tonka

Featured Posts

I have a Markon Sawafuji SL105 5kva 240 VAC alternator which has developed a grauncy noise and as such requires a service, but I amhaving trouble finding someone. Anyone know where I can get it serviced

I know that Markon have shut up shop here and all their parts moved abroad however if you track down their website theer are contact numbers on there that were routing to Cummins who are the parent company.

Assuming its a single bearing version mounted directly on the engine and not a double bearing one there is not much to the SL105 its a very simple design. Suspect that the grauchy noise could be worn brushes back to the metal holders or the bearing at the tail end.

It is the 2 bearing version as it is belt driven.

Cummins have not been very helpfull. They just told me to google "Motor Rewinders" or "Alternator servicing"

They did send me to someone but they were a parts agent

Edited by Tonka

Here is a bit more info

Whilst on holiday it started granching. Quick check on belt which is a cam belt and it was starting to break up. So I changed the belt. Still noisy so I removed belt and ran without genny. Return from holiday took adjuster wheel off and T. Norris of Isleworth have renewed the 2 bearings and the bolt as they were worn. Back to boat, re-assemble unit but still graunchy so only other thing is alternator. If you turn by hand it seems normal and no graunhing heard. So removed unit to try and get service. I have just removed cover to look at brushes and they appear to be there in good form.

They are dirt cheap I just got a single bearing one from markon just before they closed for 385

Could almost be cheaper to replace than pay someone to repair.

As for the problem there are only a couple of bearings in the unit and are you sure its not side loading on the engine causing the noise?

If the alternator drive belt has been very tight it is possible that the crankshaft bearing has become worn by the pull in one direction.

Is the engine the main propulsion engine or a dedicated genset engine?

When adding belt driven items to a crankshaft I have alwasys been carefull to load them both sides and not all on one side.

Just a thought to keep you aware of all posibilities

Erik's the national electro mechanical servises firm, who I took it to for service have found that the brushes were not worn but stuck. Now freed. One bearing was shot and needs replacing, plus the fan had come adrift, moved and rubbing.