How do you remove sprayfoam from batons

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi again.

Would you ....

1. Use a hammer and scraper

2. Use an electric tool of some sort.

3. Use something like a hacksaw blade and run it downwards to cut the foam off...

4. Use a heated wire to "cut" the foam.

to remove all the sprayfoam from wooden batons...

:)

Hi again.

Would you ....

3. Use something like a hacksaw blade and run it downwards to cut the foam off...

2. Go to your local vet or fairer & get a hoof trimmer for your little angle grinder.

Then to Screwfix for proper masks.

taslim

Never done it myself, but I heard that taping the batons before spraying makes removal of excess foam much easier. I suppose it would have to be strong duct tape.

Whenever I've used sprayfoam in cans I've always put a thin film of vasaline over anything that I didn't want the foam to stick to, so perhaps that's another option? I don't suppose vasaline would do the battons any harm.

Edited by blackrose

Horrible job.I found that tools wih a serated edge worked best. Various sized hand saws, kitchen knifes etc., whatever fitted. But I'm no expert; I've only done it once.

Tape over them first, as said. I found brown parcel tape worked very well. I found a non-serrated bread knife best for anything that finished proud of my eventual lining. Hacksaws or any other sort of toothed device creates lots of small particles which stick to you.

Hi again.

Would you ....

I was going to say bread knife but Tam beat me to it :mellow:

Every one must have one of them tucked away under the sink along with the sandwich toaster and breville teas made.

Mines in a box in Teesside in a storage container :)

The boats already been sprayfoamed. (No vaseline or taping)

I collect it next week

I forgot about dust masks, thanks.

I'll have an arrangement of knives, saws, scrapers ready at my disposal. Thanks all.

DON'T wear anything like a fleece when cutting back the foam!! (yes, voice of experience! :blush: ) Shame they didn't tape it up first, most do...are you sure they haven't and you just can't see for the foam over? Worth an ask. Otherwise yes, non-serrated bread or carving knife is best.

I collect it next week

I'll have an arrangement of knives, saws, scrapers ready at my disposal. Thanks all.

Eye protection also advised. As it snaps off it can spit little bits. AMHIK.

I'll be amazed if they haven't applied masking tape.

Wear a boiler suit.

Have a vacuum cleaner available.

Under the gunnel & the ceiling are the hardest parts.

The most efficient and neatest way I've seen this done is by using the following.

Either buy, or use an already used/available disposable 22" hand saw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-Soft-Grip-Hardpoint-Handsaw-Hard-Point-Teeth-7Tpi-/400306521895?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5d3420c727#ht_1318wt_1012

Remove handle.

Glue and clamp overnight to one side of the saw blade a 30 to 36 inch long straight batten (2x1 or 2x2 or even 3x1") to the saw an inch to 1.5 inch from the saw blade edge wider the gap the better and overlapping the batten equally over each end of the blade. This will now span foamed battens and cut flat & straight between them.

Tip; scratch saw blade with 40/60/80 grit to aid gluing.

This can also be done with the super strong double sided tape if the batten is wider @ 3x1" and sealed or painted. You can also bevel the edge of the 3x1 that's near the blade edge, this helps disburse foam easier. and works much better. You can now fit handles or grips or knobs to the batten to enable comfortable control of use.

Tip: Have some double sided tape at hand if glue fails.

Use nice big VHD bin liners for collecting mess.

Use hoover for smaller bits.

Another vote for a breadknife, in MA's case mostly wielded by the local Ballinamore drunk "Mad Mickey", the Poles were always "busy" when asked to help with the sprayfoam trimming.

We found it better to push the knife in longways then "ping" the offending bits off the battens, that way you make less cutting dust mess. I will certainly echo the warning about getting the dust in your eyes, it is evil stuff.

I must be the only person here who actually did most of their own sprayfoaming...so did it max thickness, so had a fair bit to cut off. After all MA is to spend a long time in the dampest country in the world.

I am now the Riversdale sprayfoam machine "expert".

Img_9535.jpg

Riversdale's sprayfoam machine

Dean, I have waited so patiently for all the sensible answers to be posted, and now I can add....HOW DO I REMOVE SPRAYFOAM FROM BATONS?......simple..ask the orchestra leader to do it! :rolleyes: (we use battens). Have fun, STUBAG

• Greenie 1

Dean, I have waited so patiently for all the sensible answers to be posted, and now I can add....HOW DO I REMOVE SPRAYFOAM FROM BATONS?......simple..ask the orchestra leader to do it! :rolleyes: (we use battens). Have fun, STUBAG

Hilarious.....

I have a million questions to ask in prep for my new build....some are silly, and I dont want to start a new thread for them....like.....why does THIS Screwfix site list all other blue crimp terminals...except the one I want...the straight one for terminating elec plug points etc. Does anyone know where I can get those blue "lugs" as we used to call them. ETA...FOUND THEM ON EBAY B05

Edited by DeanS

Hilarious.....

I have a million questions to ask in prep for my new build....some are silly, and I dont want to start a new thread for them....like.....why does THIS Screwfix site list all other blue crimp terminals...except the one I want...the straight one for terminating elec plug points etc. Does anyone know where I can get those blue "lugs" as we used to call them. ETA...FOUND THEM ON EBAY B05

Hi Dean

Why not use cable ferrules

much cheaper

Keith

Tape over them first, as said. I found brown parcel tape worked very well. I found a non-serrated bread knife best for anything that finished proud of my eventual lining. Hacksaws or any other sort of toothed device creates lots of small particles which stick to you.

That really is the answer, the shiny brown parcel tape. the foam doesn't stick to it very well and can just peel it off.

DON'T wear anything like a fleece when cutting back the foam!! (yes, voice of experience! :blush: ) Shame they didn't tape it up first, most do...are you sure they haven't and you just can't see for the foam over? Worth an ask. Otherwise yes, non-serrated bread or carving knife is best.

light weight disposable paper overalls. I used a wood saw to cut large amounts off, a surform to take small amounts off. A scraper to clean back to wood or metal.

I collect it next week

Did you check the depth of foam as advised.

wood saw worked fine for me - and masking tape was better than parcel tape because the foam stuck to it and so when you pull off the foam, the tape comes away too.

the bits where we had missed tape were a proper pain - hope yours was taped!

went round pulling off all the excess by hand and cutting back all the spare bits with the saw. no need for complicated tools IMO. it took about an hour to do the whole boat, ending up with about 2 cubic metres of waste. and several hoovers' worth of dust which is impossible to get rid of until all the foam is covered up.

enjoy!