Petrol Station help on my next trip

Sproz

Featured Posts

Hi,

We have a trip planned aboard (aboard not abroad...shame!) our plastic fantastic jug from the Leeds Liverpool nr Wigan to the Llangollen using the bridgewater, T&M, Shroppy bits, now as we run on Petrol we have found it rather hard to come by within easy walking of the Canal on recent trips so to avoid mass panic I want to mark the available Petrol Stations on the BW (sorry CRT!!) guide maps.

So the question is....to save hours of trawling google maps looking for suitable fill up points, can anyone pinpoint garages very near to the canal especially from Middlewich to Llangollen?

Cheers and here's hoping the jet stream shifts soon!!

Cant think of one on the Middlewich branch. Going up the Llangollen the first one i know of is at Grindley Brook near the Horse and Jockey, then Ellesmere and then near a big hotel with its own jetty's (the name escapes me for the minute but you cant miss it) then not to sure 'till Llangollen.

There may be more of which i am not aware.

Know anyone with a satnav? They usually show petrol stations.

There is one right by the canal at Grindley Brook. One by the canal on the Calverley straight - not on your route but only about half a mile from Barbridge junction.

One fairly near the end of the arm at Ellesmere.

One near Chirk close to the canal on the A5

One not too far from the canal in Llangollen

Know anyone with a satnav? They usually show petrol stations.

There is one right by the canal at Grindley Brook. One by the canal on the Calverley straight - not on your route but only about half a mile from Barbridge junction.

One fairly near the end of the arm at Ellesmere.

One near Chirk close to the canal on the A5

One not too far from the canal in Llangollen

Hi,I usually take my satnav, which shows fuel stations close to the canal.

You could tow a large stock of petrol behind you. Coffins are quite boaty shaped, if you could find an old one with a lid, it would also make a nice tender to row by fixing rowlocks to it to get to the pub if on the other bank.

Make sure there's no one in it first though. :closedeyes:

and then near a big hotel with its own jetty's (the name escapes me for the minute but you cant miss it)

Lion Quays, and the petrol station is the opposite side of the road to it.

If you go through the bridge access "might" be easier.

Thanks for the replies, I use satnav every day with my job and I didn't even think of it!! the coffin idea is good, once the fuel is used up it would be a good place for a)the wife b)the 15yr old were taking, bets are on for the first one I throw in there!!

Calverly sounds good as I think they have a services with a shower along that stretch and because the heatwave is coming and we don't have a shower on the boat so showers maybe in as much demand as Petrol !!!

Thanks for the replies, I use satnav every day with my job and I didn't even think of it!! the coffin idea is good, once the fuel is used up it would be a good place for a)the wife b)the 15yr old were taking, bets are on for the first one I throw in there!!

Calverly sounds good as I think they have a services with a shower along that stretch and because the heatwave is coming and we don't have a shower on the boat so showers maybe in as much demand as Petrol !!!

Ahhh, showers, my speciality, homemade ones i can help you with.

The petrol station is between Barbridge junction and the Calveley Services.

Edited by dor

Smartphone and google maps? There's also an app for petrol stations. I carry 2 fuel cans with Honda outboard connectors so I can readily swap over. A folding shopper bike is cheap and fairly small to carry, or a folding sack truck/trolley can also prevent one arm getting longer than the other walking back from the petrol station. I've done much of that journey in a dawncraft from Rochdale with no problems. There 's a petrol station above the middle of Preston brook tunnel if you need one there. I've heard of someone carrying a 5 gallon jerry can on long trips, tied on the bows to the pulpit rail, no danger of fumes getting in the boat, he's never run out. Doubt that is legal tho! I usually top up my empty outboard can whenever I get the opportunity, I get about 2 full days cruising off each can. I've done several long trips over the years, never run out yet, tho occasionally had to cycle a few miles.

hello

ok here goes

Grindly Brook.

Chemistry Bridge near the Whitchurch arm on the Whitchurch by pass.

Ellesmere, on the Whitchurch road, i think :blush: a short walk from the Ellesmere arm.

on the 483 Wrexham by pass near lion quays but not the shell one its closed at the moment, head towards wrexham its on the roundabout.

near the whitehurst bridge other side of Chirk.

and finally there isnt a petrol station in Llangollen at all.

hope this helps enjoy your trip :)