Canal Drifter

DaveC

Featured Posts

Has anyone seen or heard of Canaldrifter (should that be one or two words?) lately? I sent an email to his last known email address but not heard anything back.

Where are you Tony?

Dave

He got himself banned here. I believe he is active on Just Canals

Richard

How innovative to mention "active" and "Just Canals" in the same sentence. I used to look at that site, but often I would visit it a day or two later and there would be only a couple of new posts.

How innovative to mention "active" and "Just Canals" in the same sentence. I used to look at that site, but often I would visit it a day or two later and there would be only a couple of new posts.

I'm not a member or a visitor there, so I'll take your word for it

Richard

His movement 15/7/2012

Reached Torksey today against quite a lot of fresh. 3 hours 45 mins

from West Stockwith.14.5 winding miles.That mill at Gainsborough was

viewed from all angles, and never seemed to go away.

D/C performed extremely well. 1700 revs (about 6mph through the water)

at 80 degrees engine temp all the way. Gave her a 2000 rev blast for

the last 15 mins into Torksey as the 'fresh' was getting serious. Went

to 85 degrees. Really pleased that the water pump is performing so

well after all that aggro changing the impeller and stopping oil leaks

a month or so ago.

At Gainsborough was overtaken by a sea-going dutch barge thingy. They

told us they were struggling too. Yeah, right!

Now moored on the floating pontoon below Torksey Lock.That run was the

last time I'll have D/C's tiller in my hand as skipper*, as tomorrow,

the new owners are taking her up to their home-town, Lincoln,

themselves, after experiencing drought, floods, torrential rain, being

marooned on a water-surrounded pontoon and a throttle cable break just

after tackling 4mph flow on the flooded Aire.

And they are still keen!

They can also now tie truckers dollies and quick releases on bollards.

Thanks for your help too, Rob & Lesley. The Glen Orrin is going down

well. See you tomorrow for the cruise into Lincoln. It will be a

doddle in the sunshine after all that.

*Sophie and I have been invited back as guests on D/C****, whenever.

But tomorrow I really want Mark & Sue to steer their own boat through

the Glory Hole** into their own home town after all that, as a sorta

victory, and as confirmation that they are now qualified 'Boaters'

having absorbed all the tuition I could give them from my 60 odd

***years experience.

Bless 'em.

That is virtually the same for uk.rec.waterways which used to be one of the major canal sites years ago but is now just a shadow of its former self. It now seems to be virtually a Tony Haynes exclusive site with occasional contributions from some of his friends and a few others.

Roger

That is virtually the same for uk.rec.waterways which used to be one of the major canal sites years ago but is now just a shadow of its former self. It now seems to be virtually a Tony Haynes exclusive site with occasional contributions from some of his friends and a few others.

Roger

uk.rec.waterways is a good example of what can happen when trolls take over an unmoderated site. The regulars gradually drifted away and many like me resurfaced on CWDF.

Mind you, I did have a regular slot on NBW, until I saw the light blush.gif.

I remember him being banned (over the PM thing) but thought most of his posts were OK. Is the ban for good? or is it time for bygones to be just that?

Actually, he got banned more than once, three times I think. He used a couple of duplicate identities to get himself banned again and again

Things didn't end well as I recall

Richard

I hav enot heard of uk.rec.waterways. I must have a look at it. I'll report back.

Don't get too excited Athy, it's hardly worth the effort of the key clicks these days. In fact, in addition to Koukouvagia's point, even the trolls don't seem to think it worth contributing these days. :lol:

Roger

Edited by Albion

Off topic I apologise, but what would you use a Dolly knot for on a narrowboat? I learned the knot many years ago when driving flat back lorries but have never used it since, apart from once when I used it on a friend's roof rack. Forgetting how powerful it is I nearly T boned the roof!

So why has Tony Haynes sold Dreamcatcher? I know he went through a bad patch 2 or 3 years ago, but seemed to be rejuvenated with new hips when I met him at West Stockwith last September(?) - Chertsey was also there. TH tried to get me to write plant biology articles for a new waterways publication he and a friend were starting, but I've not heard anything more about that.

Having been on the receiving end of Tony Haynes sense of humor sarcasm and cruel observation, I sincerely hope that he never re-emerges on CWDF. After his insensitive and offensive comments about my wife, I took it upon myself to try and find out a bit more about him. It isn't difficult, he is very fond of self promotion on the internet, but seems to lack many, if any, of the skills and talents which he claims to possess.

• Greenie 2

Having been on the receiving end of Tony Haynes sense of humor sarcasm and cruel observation, I sincerely hope that he never re-emerges on CWDF. After his insensitive and offensive comments about my wife, I took it upon myself to try and find out a bit more about him. It isn't difficult, he is very fond of self promotion on the internet, but seems to lack many, if any, of the skills and talents which he claims to possess.

Ten out of ten for observation and accuracy David.

Roger

So why has Tony Haynes sold Dreamcatcher? I know he went through a bad patch 2 or 3 years ago, but seemed to be rejuvenated with new hips when I met him at West Stockwith last September(?) - Chertsey was also there. TH tried to get me to write plant biology articles for a new waterways publication he and a friend were starting, but I've not heard anything more about that.

I believe he reached a low point with his health and felt he had reached a stage where he would never be active enough to boat solo again.

If new hips have given him a new lease of life then by selling Dreamcatcher he may have jumped the gun (not advisable on dodgy hips).

He certainly wasn't as bad as I'd been led to expect!

I briefly met Tony twice on the Selby late last year - after recognising Sophie initially when they were moored at West Haddersly.

He seemed sociable enough to me.

I briefly met Tony twice on the Selby late last year - after recognising Sophie initially when they were moored at West Haddersly.

He seemed sociable enough to me.

Very likeable sociable man who posted after having a drink or two. After his op he didn't feel confident of being steady on his feet. He now has a camper so will still be travelling.