Painting my boat for the first time

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and also new to the boating community.

I have recently had a new 57x10 cruiser stern broadbeam built. It is now finally awaiting its first lick of paint and am after some advice.

I have had lots of mixed oppinions about whether to use boat paint or exterior grade metal paint and now my had is going to explode and none the clearer. The place which it is being built has said that i am more than welcome to use their giant compressor if i like. all i need is a spray gun (decent one of course).Is this wise or should i paint by hand?

Also I have had recommended to me that BEDEC MSP multi surface paint is very good. I have contacted the manufacturers and they say it can be used in all sorts of applications from industrial sheet cladding, radiators, doors, windows, beach huts ets and that it will withstand my boat. Does anyone have any experience with this paint? or should i use boat paint??? If so, Which one?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks, sam

Hello everyone

I have recently had a new 57x10 cruiser stern broadbeam built. It is now finally awaiting its first lick of paint and am after some advice.

I have had lots of mixed oppinions about whether to use boat paint or exterior grade metal paint and now my had is going to explode and none the clearer. The place which it is being built has said that i am more than welcome to use their giant compressor if i like. all i need is a spray gun (decent one of course).Is this wise or should i paint by hand?

Also I have had recommended to me that BEDEC MSP multi surface paint is very good. I have contacted the manufacturers and they say it can be used in all sorts of applications from industrial sheet cladding, radiators, doors, windows, beach huts ets and that it will withstand my boat. Does anyone have any experience with this paint? or should i use boat paint??? If so, Which one?

Many thanks, sam

Unless you know how to spray paint i'd use a brush.

Hello everyone

Many thanks, sam

Spray painting is not hard. In fact it could be argued it is easier to achive a fabulously shiny and smooth finish than with a brush. You need to practice your technique first to get the hang of it before commiting to the real thing.

One of the most popular spray guns used in the trade is the Devilbiss GTI. Its not a cheap gun by any means but they do come up on ebay occasionally at the right money. Avoid really cheap copies there not worth the hassle. The fluid tip and needle are usually poorly formed creating an uneven fan.

Getting the correct paint mix is very important. Simplistically if the paint is too thick it won't settle out properly or if it is too thin you get runs.

Preparation is the key to a good finish. Bear in mind also that the shinier the paint the more it will show up any flaws in the steel work which on a narrowboat will be plenty - even the best built shells.

Haynes produce a good book called the car body work repair manual which contains advice on how to spray cars specifically aimed at the DIY'er. Ok there are no boats in it granted, but the theory is the same. I had never held a spray gun ever before buying this book, 3 succesfully sprayed cars later, it was well worth the 15 quid price tag.

If you decide to spray its well worth using a 2-pack paint. Far tougher and durable than any 'traditional' boat paint, and you don't need such a thick coat to obtain the same protection.

Having done a fair bit of custom car spraying I go with you.

It's not that difficult to get a good finish with spray given some practice but the vintage cars I hand painted (cellulose) needed much more skill and time.

On guns while, Devilbliss are the dogs doo-dars I found that some slightly cheaper guns did me just as well especial for larger areas like base coats/laquers on vans so I suppose would be OK on a boat. Also with the money saved the OP could pick up a filter regulator. For detail you may want to use air brushes but they are a whole different, and also expensive, bag.

Viscosity is the big deal & I bought a viscosity drop gage. Not cheap but nether is paint or the time spent re working after a cock-up... Been there, done that.

Im liking the sound of spraying. Is there anywhere i can hire a sprayer or do i have to purchase one?

You can hire & I've done it but the quality of the kit can be variable, as can the state of it (jets, flairs, needles mostly).

If you do hire only go for top line kit & when you sign it out it must be impeccably clean. If you are hiring a compressor too 'go large'.

Since you said you have the offer of use of a decent compressor I would suggest purchase of a gun. In time you will probably want to give the boat another blast / hide attempts at accidental 'customization' & as a previous poster suggested get the book & practice some first.

An entry level gun that delivers is the De Vilbliss FLG5 which is a traditional suction cup gun. I understand Sprayguns Direct (can't do link on this kit) will flog you one for about a ton. You could easily spend that on brushes, rollers, trays & such.

No association with above named firms except as a happy De Vil user. Other whatsits available etc.

Edit to add bizard types quicker than me.

Edited by TASLIM

Preparation is the biggest part of any paint job. Using high quality paint and equipment will be reflected in the finish and the durability.

It would be good if you could arrange to try it out and test a few scrap panels, you will soon know whether you have a natural ability or you are going to struggle with it.

I employed men who were new to the trade yet could virtually spray with their eyes shut, and others who had been in the game for years and still struggled !!!

Since my previous post spoke to my brother regarding resonably priced spray guns. He reckons he blew over a VW Polo with white hammerite smooth using a Sealey Gold suction gun. Reckoned the finish whilst not perfect was quite respectable considering it was quick job with minumum prep. ;)