Boat sunk at Redhill

Roxy

Featured Posts

I'd wrap builder's plastic around the cockpit, personally.

Easier to use than ply and cheaper.

Even easier still with wooden boats as you can use a staple gun to stop it flapping about until you get some negative pressure to suck it into the holes.

Yes anything like that i've even collected ash from peoples stoves to seal small chinks and cracks which just tipped the balance between no float and float, enough difference for the pumps to make ground.

As Carl says pumps are the best and easiest way but all cabin and hull openings,windows ect will need closing off leaving say one open for the pumps suction hose, but unless a very powerful pump is employed building a dam around the cockpit ect with ply boards would be an almost certainty. Hauling a boat up with strops shouldn't harm a boat unless of course its old perhaps rotten and weakened as any submerged object weighs a lot less submerged than out of the water, This boat i think is GRP so wouldn't be a problem, after all all types of boats are being slung about on cranes all the time.

WHAT???

Carl how will they refloat/lift it do you think?

It is Ange, I spoke to Steve yesterday who is now in charge of the boat sales at Redhill and he said the guy who owns it is insured and that the boat did need alot of working doing on it. He said the owner is just going to claim off his insurance but surely they could argue and say that he left the boat unattended and on a river that was liable to flood or was in flood?

I'm not sure where he would stand on that.......

if he didn't disclose where the boat was at the time of sinking let's just hope the insurance company don't want to see it in situ.

That is right

Haven't you noticed that things fall of your magnets as you lift them from the water? As the break the surface they lose their buoyancy

Richard

It was the use of 'a lot' which concerned me, implying that a sunken boat is going to be a lot lighter than a floating one, in the sense of being easier to lift with straps, which i don't think is really the case.

things don't fall off my magnets ;)

It was the use of 'a lot' which concerned me, implying that a sunken boat is going to be a lot lighter than a floating one, in the sense of being easier to lift with straps, which i don't think is really the case.

things don't fall off my magnets ;)

Take a submarine.In order to submerge they open vents which allow water ballast in to increase the crafts weight and the deeper they go more and more water is let in to counteract the increasing water pressure. When surfacing they have to pump out the water or blow out the water with compressed air fairly slowly or the boat will bob up 'like a cork' too fast and cause damage.

If you have a spring balance like an anglers try tying a weight on a string to it and note its weight out of the water and at various depths, it'll get lighter the deeper you dangle it.

Take a submarine.In order to submerge they open vents which allow water ballast in to increase the crafts weight and the deeper they go more and more water is let in to counteract the increasing water pressure. When surfacing they have to pump out the water or blow out the water with compressed air fairly slowly or the boat will bob up 'like a cork' too fast and cause damage.

If you have a spring balance like an anglers try tying a weight on a string to it and note its weight out of the water and at various depths, it'll get lighter the deeper you dangle it.

And those of you who've used an anchor should have noticed that after extracting the flukes from the bed of a deep sea,river or wherever it feels quite light and might even feel like you've left the anchor behind!, but no it gradually gets heavier as it reaches the surface.

If the anchors on all rope that is. If all chain then the weight would be more balanced as more and more chain is pulled up.

Edited by bizzard

Consider this:

Hold an anchor and then feel how heavy it is...now ask someone else to assist with holding the anchor - it 'feels' lighter - but it is not the weight that has changed, it is the fact that you are not 'holding' all of the weight. Same is true in water - you are being assisted (by the water) in holding hence you are not carrying the full weight - the total weight of the anchor has not changed.

(yes, the mass does not & can not change, weight is influenced by gravity so 'can' change)

???

Mass doesn't change. Weight doesn't change either, if we accept that the force of gravity is going to be constant. What does change, though, is the upwards force due to buoyancy, due to the displacement of water. Thus, the resultant force changes - in water, it is less than in air. Its just semantics, really.

I agree with Carl, whilst using bags, oil drums or other buoyancy can be a useful technique in certain circumstances, when trying to dewater a boat like this one, it's far easier and safer just to seal the holes (as much as possible) and use pumps. If the boat is completely submerged and it's possible to do so, then pumping air inside the vessel either on it's own or whilst pumping water out can be effective (that's how the German fleet at Scapa Flow was raised for scrapping after the war).

One thing to bear in mind for boats sunk in a river is that the longer they're down, the more mud will collect inside the boat. When we raised Caravelle after six weeks or so on the bottom she had about four inches of mud in the bilges. Combined with all of the water that soaked into the structure that was normally above the waterline, and she floated a good six inches lower in the water than she did before she sank (I'm pleased to say that after the new owner cleaned her out and she had a few weeks to dry out, she's now floating on her normal waterline again). There are techniques for removing mud from inside boats (an air lift is my personal favourite - a length of drainpipe with an air line attached to the bottom, the bubbles lower the water pressure inside the pipe and it sucks the mud up and out of the top).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I rescued this old girl from the "graveyard" about 18 months ago.

Lots done, all the interior was saved, just waiting for the weather to allow the paintwork to recommence.

Hope this is a sort of happy ending..... Hope to be ON the water for the summer. ???

20140417_181120.jpg

wow that's brilliant, well done you, happy boating :boat: