Wigan Flight singlehanded

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Tomorrow or Monday I intend to go up the Wigan flight with no crew (the dog is useless). If I find another boat to go with, that's fine, but if not I'll have to give it a go. Anyone hard up for something to do either day? Sustenance and effusive thanks provided, of course. I'm at Dover Lock Inn at the moment, but if it were to be tomorrow, I'd move nearer this evening.

Cheers

Mac

Tomorrow or Monday I intend to go up the Wigan flight with no crew (the dog is useless). If I find another boat to go with, that's fine, but if not I'll have to give it a go. Anyone hard up for something to do either day? Sustenance and effusive thanks provided, of course. I'm at Dover Lock Inn at the moment, but if it were to be tomorrow, I'd move nearer this evening.

Cheers

Mac

If you can track the number down, ring the lock keeper and tell them you're going up solo - they'll give you a hand. Even if you don;t warn them in advance, if they notice you they will probably help. I've done it single handed myself - it's not that bad, just goes on for ever!

Oh. Has anyone else got anything on that?

Nothing on waterscape...

If you can track the number down, ring the lock keeper and tell them you're going up solo - they'll give you a hand. Even if you don;t warn them in advance, if they notice you they will probably help. I've done it single handed myself - it's not that bad, just goes on for ever!

Lock Keeper at Wigan??? You are going back a few years!!!

Mac if I was you I would just sit near the bottow and wait for a boat one will be along at some point.

E mail notice i got during the week:

Locks 88 to 65 of Wigan Flight (inclusive) & Lock 1 (Poolstock) Leigh Branch.

Tuesday 26 June 2012 until further notice

Due to an operational issue with the feeder at Scholes, we are currently experiencing low water levels on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal through Wigan.

Engineers will be on site tomorrow to review the situation with the pump.

An update will be issued on 27 June 2012.

Enquiries: 01942 405700

Edited by Matthew Dowson

E mail notice i got during the week:

Locks 88 to 65 of Wigan Flight (inclusive) & Lock 1 (Poolstock) Leigh Branch.

Tuesday 26 June 2012 until further notice

Due to an operational issue with the feeder at Scholes, we are currently experiencing low water levels on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal through Wigan.

Engineers will be on site tomorrow to review the situation with the pump.

An update will be issued on 27 June 2012.

Enquiries: 01942 405700

Update said feeder problem is sorted.

I've done the Wigan flight single handed without another boat (there were lockeepers there but they were helping 2 crewed boats going down together - then they went for lunch and I never saw them again), and will do so again in a couple of months. You've done the Rochdale and Huddersfield enough - I consider this much easier, just be prepared to take most of the day.

I've done the Wigan flight single handed without another boat (there were lockeepers there but they were helping 2 crewed boats going down together - then they went for lunch and I never saw them again), and will do so again in a couple of months. You've done the Rochdale and Huddersfield enough - I consider this much easier, just be prepared to take most of the day.

Yes but not in one day!

I do expect to take all day, but there seems to be some lack of clarity as to whether the flight is locked at the top at 1630 Is it? I seem to remember it being unlocked at 0830 when we went down a few years ago.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Yes but not in one day!

I do expect to take all day, but there seems to be some lack of clarity as to whether the flight is locked at the top at 1630 Is it? I seem to remember it being unlocked at 0830 when we went down a few years ago.

Was not locked when I came up last month, I was moored at the top for 2 days and boats were coming up well after 16:30

Well here I am sitting at the bottom of the flight in a steady heavy drizzle. A woman at the Poolstock locks told me this was 'billinge rain', which is a new one on me.

I would go up if another boat turned up, and would have started up myself had it been dry, but but not by myself in the wet, mainly because it would be more dangerous, with everything so slippery.

Wigan in the rain, eh? What more could you want? Considering the weather, there are a hell of a lot of cyclists zipping by.

I did it! Rain cleared up, forecast for tomorrow not good, nobody turned up, so set off at midday. 6 and a quarter hours, which beats my age in decades by a rather satrisfying margin (you know, like golf scores after a player reaches a certain age). Knackered, though, goes without saying.

What do you want a medal?.....

© Onionbargee.

(actually that's pretty good going I'd say)

:cheers:

He deserves one for doing the flight single handed ;)

Well here I am sitting at the bottom of the flight in a steady heavy drizzle. A woman at the Poolstock locks told me this was 'billinge rain', which is a new one on me.

I would go up if another boat turned up, and would have started up myself had it been dry, but but not by myself in the wet, mainly because it would be more dangerous, with everything so slippery.

Wigan in the rain, eh? What more could you want? Considering the weather, there are a hell of a lot of cyclists zipping by.

Wigan; I spent a week there one afternoon.

There is an old saying in Wigan:

"If you can see the slag heaps it is about to rain,

If you can't see the slag heaps it's raining."

The cyclists zipping by are escapees.

Only kidding, I like Wigan, spent a year of my youth there. I was in love with a female bus conductor (should that be conductress? we called 'em clippies) Happy days. :)

Edited by Guest

I did it! Rain cleared up, forecast for tomorrow not good, nobody turned up, so set off at midday. 6 and a quarter hours, which beats my age in decades by a rather satrisfying margin (you know, like golf scores after a player reaches a certain age). Knackered, though, goes without saying.

:) good for you :) it feels really good when you over come a challenge, have a well earned relaxing evening :)

Nothing on waterscape...

Lock keepers at Wigan !!!!!!!!!!!!

No chance, me and my other half did it at the begining of May She insisted on doing the locks and it took us all day

GOOD LUCK

Well done you! Where are you off to?

You missed a treat with the Museum of Science and Industry

Wrinkley

Well there isn´t a lot of choice, is there? I just had to get out of the city. Thanks again for pairing me down underneath Manchester. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Respect Mac!

We really struggled going up the Wigan Flight and there's two of us (though we did run out of water half way up which didn't help!)

You deserve a beer :cheers: