BMC ENGINE BATTERY

Featured Posts

A friend needs to replace the starter battery on her boat, run by a BMC diesel engine,tried to start it the other day and it wouldnt push the engine at all, tried to charge it but wouldnt take the charge....looking at the possibility that a new battery is needed, but investigating all possibilities like alternator needs attention/replacing.

Ok i know i am new here and this question has probably been asked before, :help: but what ampage or size of battery is the needed to start a Diesel BMC engine having seen the old battery it looks like its one of them two handled jobs but cant make out the ampage or any of the writing on the old battery.

Much appriciation in anticipation

A friend needs to replace the starter battery on her boat, run by a BMC diesel engine,tried to start it the other day and it wouldnt push the engine at all, tried to charge it but wouldnt take the charge....looking at the possibility that a new battery is needed, but investigating all possibilities like alternator needs attention/replacing.

Ok i know i am new here and this question has probably been asked before, :help: but what ampage or size of battery is the needed to start a Diesel BMC engine having seen the old battery it looks like its one of them two handled jobs but cant make out the ampage or any of the writing on the old battery.

Much appriciation in anticipation

The standard Starter battery for a BMC 1.5 is a 643 or 644 (depending on terminal layout). Some people recommend the slightly mre powerful 663/664 but in my experience they are really only needed on a bigger engine.

The standard Starter battery for a BMC 1.5 is a 643 or 644 (depending on terminal layout). Some people recommend the slightly mre powerful 663/664 but in my experience they are really only needed on a bigger engine.

Thanks for that David, so is the battery we need a Boshe S4 or something of that nature, I phoned up one garage and asked them if the battery is the wrong one can we take it back, but the reply was that if we connected the battery then it would not be possible just to take it back, so now you can see the importance of getting it right and not wasting money. in short thanks for your answer but i need the exact model and make of a replacement battery.

I wouldn't worry too much. We buy whatever is the cheapest starter battery from whichever chandlers we are near for our BMC 1.8

It isn't a hugely demanding job, starting a boat - unlike the domestic batteries

Richard

I wouldn't worry too much. We buy whatever is the cheapest starter battery from whichever chandlers we are near for our BMC 1.8

It isn't a hugely demanding job, starting a boat - unlike the domestic batteries

Richard

Same here.

The three digit number is a very precise specification for the size, rating and terminal position of a battery, so any (eg) 663 will replace any other 663. After this you have a choice of makers (within those local dealers will offer) but any 663 should do a 663 job.

Consider the three digit number as a battery identifier like AA, AAA, PP3 etc are for primary cells. Likewise it still allows makers to offer budget or premium within the spec.

Thanks for that David, so is the battery we need a Boshe S4 or something of that nature, I phoned up one garage and asked them if the battery is the wrong one can we take it back, but the reply was that if we connected the battery then it would not be possible just to take it back, so now you can see the importance of getting it right and not wasting money. in short thanks for your answer but i need the exact model and make of a replacement battery.

As far as I know the Bosch S4 is a range of batteries, not a specific model. What you are looking for is one with a capacity of about 900/950Ah and a cold cranking capacity of 620/640CCA. They an industry standard and can be bought from any Tyre and Battery depot or from Chandlers for somewhere between £80 and £100. I got a decent quality one from our local tyre depot for something like £75, so it is worth phoning around a bit,

Edited by David Schweizer

As far as I know the Bosch S4 is a range of batteries, not a specific model. What you are looking for is one with a capacity of about 900/950Ah and a cold cranking capacity of 620/640CCA.

I think David means 90Ah to 95Ah

Otherwise it would be one hell of a battery. (!)

From when this was discussed before, the CCA (cold cranking amps) figure may well be higher than that - but that's no bad thing - it can't be too big, so don't worry about it too much.

As has been said, any starter battery from any source with the terminals in the right layout, and which will fit the space is likely to be fine.

No you don't. You need a proper battery supplier. Any supplier should be able to supply a battery based on the spec 643 or 644 (i even did this in France).

David's specification is accurate and sufficient.

No you don't. You need a proper battery supplier. Any supplier should be able to supply a battery based on the spec 643 or 644 (i even did this in France).

David's specification is accurate and sufficient.

With the correction as pointed out by Alan, that it should be somewhere around 90Ah to 95Ah

Edited by David Schweizer

I've uploaded a doc with all the common battery types, sizes, terminal layout, or PM me for a copy:

http://www.scribd.com/smileypete/d/97766142-Numax-Battery-Specification-charts

As others have said, a local batt supplier should stock one, or a motor parts supplier, tyre place should be able to order one in for the next day, just shop around :)

cheers,

Pete.

or walk into Halfords and ask for a battery suitable for a 2 litre diesel engine.

Partially joking, honest.

The battery you have is not the right one, although it will work, a suitable battery is unlikely to have handles.

The new one will almost certainly look smaller (physical size)

An example here: (this is in no way a recommendation) http://www.tayna.co.uk/663-Numax-Commercial-Battery-P3288.html