Getting battery cables made up....

Featured Posts

Can any-one recommend a supplier of made to measure battery leads.

I need a set of interconnecting leads making up, preferably male order/internet or somewhere near Leeds or in the North East.

Was going to make these up myself but a proper crimping tool costs a fortune and I don't want to make things worse using a 'cheapy' and messing up the connections....

Thanks in advance...

Was going to make these up myself but a proper crimping tool costs a fortune and I don't want to make things worse using a 'cheapy' and messing up the connections....

Someone here used a cheapy £40 hydraulic crimper with good results. Plus you could always hire a decent one.

Cheers guys I think I'll ask - we are not exactly flush with chandlers around our way but what we have are pretty good.

Cheers...

Hi Martin

There's an ebayer who will supply at any size, I'll just have a hunt through my ebay and see if I can find him. You can buy hydraulic crimpers for £40.00, they're brilliant and a cheap pair of cable cutters for around a tenner both from E bay. The cutters are fine but probably wouldn't last too long used daily by a pro but adequately cut the cable up to 70mm s They'll always come in handy too.

Crimper.png

ETA

Here's the e-bay seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-duty-battery-Positive-cables-link-strap-new-6v-12v-24v-35mm-400Amp-/140757249701?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c5c92ea5#ht_500wt_1169

Depending on how many leads you need, It might well be cheaper to buy the tools. I would make a list and get a price from him as combined postage will save a lot of money and a bulk order might get a decent quote.

Depending on what you want' I have quite a bit of cable left over and lugs, some 70mmS and 40mmS I recall. So I could make some up for you possibly.

Edited by Julynian

I need a set of interconnecting leads making up, preferably male order/internet or somewhere near Leeds or in the North East.

Thanks in advance...

Hello Martin,

I supplied you your replacement T class fuse

I am more than happy to make up your cables

just let know what is needed

Keith

Thanks everybody.

I need to double check post to post distances as I want to get them as short as possible and the new bank will be in place this or next week, after which I'll be in touch.

Cheers....

Thanks in advance...

its not your area but they are very obliging and might well send them to you, I would reccommend NAPS at Northampton 01604 750 200

Wollix

Thanks in advance...

I think Limekiln Chandlers at Stourport will make up battery link cables and do mal order.

inexpensive hammer crimping tool, ( don't ask me where to get them )

hammercrimp.jpg

Their on E-bay

They do the job pretty well, only problem is consistency, you can end up splitting the crimp if hit too hard, or not hit hard enough and not have a perfect crimp. The Hydraulic cheapies I bought were excellent which surprised me, a really neat & tidy crimp from a tool just over a foot long applying 8 tons of pressure with little effort. I did most my crimping sat on the sofa whilst watching TV, couldn't be easier. I planned to buy them use them then sell em, but their so compact and come in a nice wee case I'll keep them, they'll come in handy I'm sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-CRIMPING-WIRE-8-TONNE-CABLE-DIE-TOOL-4-70mm-CRIMPER-ENHANCED-MODEL-/250990322863?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a703064af#ht_754wt_922

You can get the bigger model up to 300mmS for around £65 Crimping pressure 13 tonn

I used to have the same problem.Ended up spending £120.00 on a decent crimper. Its money well spent and makes cable work a pleasure not a chore. My mates think so to lol.

Please could you post a reference to the model you bought and where? There seems to be a lt of websites selling them, with a vast range of prices. It is good to have a recommendation on a pair. Thanks.

And if your not certain of the quality of your crimping run some solder into it too. But advise scraping off with a knife blade the thin coat of laquer from the copper conductors before crimping and or soldering until they are bright shiny copper to ensure good trouble free connections.

PS. and if soldering any terminals don't forget to scrub the finished article with a little soapy water to remove any excess flux.

Edited by bizzard