Another unknown boat

Carl Ryan

Featured Posts

Here are some more photos. Probably from the mid 1970's. It would seem that all my photos from the seventies and eighties are all slightly out of focus. I thought it was just me. I am pretty sure these were taken at Middlewich but I never did know which boat it was. Any ideas?

middlewich7.jpg

middlewich6.jpg

middlewich5.jpg

middlewich4.jpg

middlewich3.jpg

middlewich2.jpg

Middlewich1.jpg

middlewich8.jpg

• Greenie 1

It certainly looks like middlewich, just before the bend on the off side. It looks like a motorised Northwich butty but that is as much as I can help with I'm afraid.

Kind regards

Dan

Based on an LMS Station Boat, which the owner named PARAGON, because he came from Hull. Unless it already coincidentally had that name, don't think so though.

Tim

Based on an LMS Station Boat, which the owner named PARAGON, because he came from Hull. Unless it already coincidentally had that name, don't think so though.

Tim

Would that be the Paragon that has been at Peterborough relatively recently? it was in a pretty basic state but was clearly a gorgeous boat... Reminiscent of Magnetman's old Bantock(?) Oriane. Hard to compare with an out of the water pic, must admit my first thought on looking at the photos was Northwich.

Would that be the Paragon that has been at Peterborough relatively recently? it was in a pretty basic state but was clearly a gorgeous boat... Reminiscent of Magnetman's old Bantock(?) Oriane. Hard to compare with an out of the water pic, must admit my first thought on looking at the photos was Northwich.

I wouldn't know, not seen the boat for may years (nor been to Peterborough).

The LMS station boats were built in Northwich, of course, but with longer flatter decks than the GU Northwich boats.

Tim

I believe this to be one of the LMS boats scrapped by BW. They had them removed by a scrap merchant who was hotly pursued by a bunch of enthusiasts one of whom was my late pal Ed Greenwood. Despite being "cut up" all the boats returned to the water in one form or another. I remember seeing this boat but other than being able to confirm it is a Yarwoods boat built for the LMS I cannot remember knowing a name. I am sure Pete Harrison will look at his records on this.

I believe this to be one of the LMS boats scrapped by BW. They had them removed by a scrap merchant who was hotly pursued by a bunch of enthusiasts one of whom was my late pal Ed Greenwood. Despite being "cut up" all the boats returned to the water in one form or another. I remember seeing this boat but other than being able to confirm it is a Yarwoods boat built for the LMS I cannot remember knowing a name. I am sure Pete Harrison will look at his records on this.

Definitely PARAGON.

Whether or not it had a name in its previous life I cannot answer.

Tim

• 7 years later...
On 11/06/2012 at 07:57, Timleech said:

Tim

My great grandparents had a boat called paragon. However they were at a place called poulton cum seacombe. That is now what is known as wallasey on the wirral. Obviously a very long time ago. Strange coincidence having the same name.

On 17/06/2012 at 21:02, Timleech said:

Definitely PARAGON.

Whether or not it had a name in its previous life I cannot answer.

Tim

My great grandfather had one called paragon. From poulton cum seacombe which is now part of wallasey. Very long time ago. Odd coincidence with the name.