Chimney Stacks

Featured Posts

I am not particularly keen on either the excessive height or quality of the engine stack on my boat. Therefore, I am having a new one made by Chris Smith. I have asked him to make me one 18" tall - including its top baffle. Other than the fact that when the wind is unfavourable I will get smoke in my eyes, is there any other disadvantage to having a stack markedly shorter than most?

I can't think of one - what is important is the height of the outlet above the source - that is, you have to include the height of the entire length of pipe that already sits inside the boat. A reduction of, say, a 2ft external chimney to 18in isn't going to make a ha'p'orth of difference. Besides which, in my experience the smoke often blows slightly downwards and along the roof of the boat when you're moving along, so the smoke in the eyes argument doesn't really hold water either!

edited because I missed the word 'engine' at first - but the argument is still valid.

Edited by Machpoint005

The engine note will change to a boy racer burble and of course the boat will go faster , you have got the stripes ready.

Seriously, I doubt there will be any noticeable change.

Edit: spelling

Edited by bottle

The average "tall pie" on working boats was around 28", this kept the exhaust out of the steerers eyes.

Why did boats interchange tall pipes with short pipes for loaded/unloaded conditions, cause would the tall pipe hit on anything when unloaded or another reason??

Darren

Why did boats interchange tall pipes with short pipes for loaded/unloaded conditions, cause would the tall pipe hit on anything when unloaded or another reason??

Darren

Basically, yes. I read somewhere (no doubt on here ) that an unloaded boat would never have used a tall pipe. Also some people have extra-tall pipes for rivers where the engine is working harder and the bridges aren't so low (Osney excepted); I believe Mykaskin has one for Victoria.

I reckon it's as much about keeping the smoke out of your lungs as your eyes. As I'm a shortarse, I had mine made 24" rather than 30" which makes life a bit easier. I still haven't got a titch though, really must get round to that.

Edited by Chertsey