BMC 1.5 , Oil change , wire burning out , Starter motor sticking ,mess !

Featured Posts

Where do i start ... well i recently did an oil filter/oil change on my BMC 1.5 , simple enough you would think?! (with a little help from the oil filter thread) everything seemed to go well ..ok i had knocked the engine temp gauge wire but shouldnt have caused to many problems.

I went to turn her over and there was a click from the starter motor and a bit of smoke from behind the control panel. Ok i had the engine running just before the oil change and was fine .

RCR came out and apart from the seemingly obvious the starter was sticking or kaput,but they couldnt work out the problem with the wiring as it kept burning out and advised i get a sparky in.

Thing is everything was fine before the oil change... coincidence?

Regards

Ollie

Where do i start ... well i recently did an oil filter/oil change on my BMC 1.5 , simple enough you would think?! (with a little help from the oil filter thread) everything seemed to go well ..ok i had knocked the engine temp gauge wire but shouldnt have caused to many problems.

I went to turn her over and there was a click from the starter motor and a bit of smoke from behind the control panel. Ok i had the engine running just before the oil change and was fine .

RCR came out and apart from the seemingly obvious the starter was sticking or kaput,but they couldnt work out the problem with the wiring as it kept burning out and advised i get a sparky in.

Thing is everything was fine before the oil change... coincidence?

Regards

Ollie

Probably yes, about 17 years ago I had probs with the starter on a 1.5 I had years ago and had difficulties getting it serviced. One person suggested buying a large tin of Wd40 and spraying it through the starter motor.

Did this, (do it over a container as the gunge that flushed out was amazing) and as far as I am aware the motor is still giving good service.

Allow to dry out for a day or so..

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Probably yes, about 17 years ago I had probs with the starter on a 1.5 I had years ago and had difficulties getting it serviced. One person suggested buying a large tin of Wd40 and spraying it through the starter motor.

Did this, (do it over a container as the gunge that flushed out was amazing) and as far as I am aware the motor is still giving good service.

Allow to dry out for a day or so..

Leo.

Should you need to get your starter serviced, I can highly recommend SAC in Coventry. The last starter I had done by them was from a BMC 2.2

Richard

Your starter motor may have an inspection band around the rear commutator brush area,held on by a single screw and nut,if so''just slacken and slide the band forward'',specially provided for cleaning,commutator,brush inspection or renewal.