Pubs In Long Itchington Area

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Do you remember how the Blue Lias used to be? Donkeys, goats, chickens, geese and other animals in the garden - a donkey stuck its head in the side window which really startled the dog - and a Vampire bomber in the car park. It had the most amazing range of scotch whiskies available, many of them brought back for them by regulars who had been on holiday in Scotland.

The first time we arrived there as a party of 8 hirers, the whiskies were arranged on three shelves behind the bar. The landlady said "I don't know you so you're only allowed to choose whisky from the bottom shelf. One person asked for ginger in his whisky and was summarily served a pint of beer instead. When we approached the bar again, three of us were deemed to have chosen well and were allowed to choose from the second shelf; the others were told they must choose again on the bottom shelf, apart from the one of course who was only allowed beer.

We returned to the bar and the landlady looked around furtively. "The landlord's not around" she said to us three second-shelfers "so I'm going to let you and you, but not you, choose just one from the top shelf but don't say a word if he comes back in". I chose a 30-year old MacAllan and the memory of its amazing taste still lingers with me forty years later ...

Unfortunately, like so many things, it has changed and possibly not for the better! :cheers:

We will be around Cuttle / Long Itchington tonight, if all goes to plan, and looking for a pub for a meal.

We seem to be more spoilt for choice than usual, with the Cuttle Inn & the Two Boats at the foot of the locks, the "Blue Lias" part way up, and the Boat at the top.

So any people have had particularly good (or bad) experiences of lately, please ?

It looks like the Cuttle may have live music, and I want to enjoy a meal with conversation, so I'm minded to rule that one out first!

On Friday night we went to the Wharf at Fenny Compton where the food was half decent and very reasonable and the entertainment (a ten piece band - 'Chain of Fools') was excellent. In fact the entertainment was so good we stayed until closing time . . .

We normally go into the village to eat/drink, rather than use those establishments by the canal.

Typically, we go to the Harvester. It's very much a one-off and nothing whatsoever to do with the chain of that name. Decent steaks and a whole range of other food, with good beer and a nice, village pub atmosphere (outsiders welcome). Plus a touch of eccentricity to bring a smile to your face.

Bob.