oil change

Featured Posts

Carried out a small service on my Beta BD1005 today. Oil change, oil filter change, air filter and fuel filter changed. All went well and was easy enough even for a novice like me. while waiting for the new oil to settle in to the sump I spent 10mins reading the mantainance manual to see what other things I may be able to do. To my surprise it recommends an oil change every 150hrs for the shallow sump version of my engine ( mine is) holding only 5-ltrs of oil. Now i,m thinking that 150 hrs isn,t that long and that if I were to do any serious cruising I would have to do a oil change every 4-6 weeks.Is this Normal????

Carried out a small service on my Beta BD1005 today. Oil change, oil filter change, air filter and fuel filter changed. All went well and was easy enough even for a novice like me. while waiting for the new oil to settle in to the sump I spent 10mins reading the mantainance manual to see what other things I may be able to do. To my surprise it recommends an oil change every 150hrs for the shallow sump version of my engine ( mine is) holding only 5-ltrs of oil. Now i,m thinking that 150 hrs isn,t that long and that if I were to do any serious cruising I would have to do a oil change every 4-6 weeks.Is this Normal????

Well if it was a car doing 40mph it would be 6000 miles, does that sound a bit better. I do mine every 250 hrs but that is a different engine.

General opinion seems to be that as the engine is not at all highly stressed, it is OK to extend the intervals between changes. I know I do with mine but that is a different engine and I couldn't say about yours

my Lister holds 9 litres, recomended to change every 250 hours.I will be changing every 150 hours, its the life blood of the engine, why comprmise. I also have just removed the sump and cleaned that out of years of gunge, that will also be removed and cleaned every 6 months, my oil in the Lister is now so clean you can not read the level on the dip stck, as apossed to when i got her it was jet black. probably over the top, but it makes me happy.

Edited by micky44

Perfectly normal, the Vetus is 100hrs IIRC. I do stretch it a little during the extended cruise in summer.

my oil in the Lister is now so clean you can not read the level on the dip stck, as apossed to when i got her it was jet black. probably over the top, but it makes me happy.

my Yanmar manual tells me to expect the engine oil to be black, that is quite normal.