Chesterfield Canal

maggie-y

Featured Posts

Hi

Thinking of adding the Chesterfield Canal to our summer outing along the Trent.

Is it worth it?

Will I be able to get a canal license from the lock-keeper or should I get it in Newark?

Thanks

Maggie

Arrived on the Chesterfield yesterday. Very interesting getting into Stockworth lock but we did it! First night moored up just outside the basin, very quiet with good walking for the dogs. Moved to just past the Redford and Worksop Boat Club moorings, in the middle of nowhere. So far the canal is very pretty with a fare bit of interesting stuff. A bit shallow here and there and not able to get close to the side on the first or second attempt but hey ho.

Hi

Is it worth it?

The first section from the Trent to Worksop is interesting, if somewhat unspectacular. But from Worksop to the tunnel is just magical and an absolute "must do"!

The whole canal is little used and deserves to be better known.

Go for it!

David

Hi

Is it worth it?

Will I be able to get a canal license from the lock-keeper or should I get it in Newark?

The Chesterfield is a very pretty canal, Retford and Worksop are good places to stock up, A BW licence is all that is required, but if travelling up to the tunnel you will require a handcuff key available from Newark or West Stockwith to work the Top locks at Thorpe. The flight up to the summit although 23 locks with 2 double and 2 treble staircases, they are easy to work, and the whole experience of going up is well worth it, that flight and the run to the tunnel has been described as the prettiest in the country. There is a full length windy hole 200yds short of tunnel, and moorings, so you can either walk or reverse to tunnel mouth

Thanks

Maggie

To avoid confusion (Mrs Mac just got confused), I'm assuming the OP has a rivers only licence. Most boats will not need an extra licence for the Chesterfield.

But if it is a rivers only boat, what is your draft? The first part of the Chesterfield is very shallow. Ive known more than one boat give up after a couple of miles.

• Greenie 1

To avoid confusion (Mrs Mac just got confused), I'm assuming the OP has a rivers only licence. Most boats will not need an extra licence for the Chesterfield.

But if it is a rivers only boat, what is your draft? The first part of the Chesterfield is very shallow. Ive known more than one boat give up after a couple of miles.

How shallow? We are thinking of doing the Chesterfield, but we are 28inch draft......we struggle on many canals, and especially mooring up 'cos of the draft/lack of dredging etc....

How shallow? We are thinking of doing the Chesterfield, but we are 28inch draft......we struggle on many canals, and especially mooring up 'cos of the draft/lack of dredging etc....

You should be OK if you take it very slowly until Drakeholes. Chertsey managed it last year - perhaps Sarah or PB could comment? Also don't forget it goes down to narrow locks past Retford.

We took Fulbourne, drawing 3 ft, there in 2009. Yes it was shallow, and we were scraping the bottom quite a lot, but it was the width at Stret Lock that stopped us. A modern 6ft 10in wide boat should have no problem.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Guys.

I think thats our summer trip sorted.

No problem with the draft we are standard clone craft.

The river only is because we moor on the Soar and with the water shortages (the Leicester line being closed) had planned the Trent for this year - before a diversion along the Chesterfield occured to me.

Thanks for the answers.

Maggie

We're planning to do the Chesterfield in 2 weeks time. Similar set up to you including license so will let you know how we get on.

Thanks - we are planning late July to then be in Notting for the Riverside festival early Aug.

Maggie