e-canalmapp.co

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

wow .. £130 for their other product (PC Based) and then £25 per year for updates!

No more expensive than the set of paper guides.

Nicholson's Guides: £9.74 x 7 = £68.14 from Amazon, plus a few Imray guides if you want to do Nene, Fens, etc. Surely more expensive and not so easy to keep on the back hatch to glance at as you pootle along?

• Greenie 1

Which is the wooden boat in their website header?

Richard

I'm sure Carl will confirm, but I think it is "Clent".

That's Pete Boyce's yard, where "Lucy" is already being worked on.

I'm sure Carl will confirm, but I think it is "Clent".

That's Pete Boyce's yard, where "Lucy" is already being worked on.

Ahhh, so it is Lucy on the hardstanding behind Midland Chandlers then

Richard

Ahhh, so it is Lucy on the hardstanding behind Midland Chandlers then

Richard

Yes,

Although it is possible there are multiple boats there, I'm not sure.

All the other boats in the water there are associated with Pete Boyce too, and you can see James Loader (also wooden), Betelgeuse and BCN No 108 (aka "Joe") corrently on loan to Liam and Kez. Pete also half owns Renfrew, I believe.

Pete Boyce's boats

• 2 weeks later...

Nicholson's Guides: £9.74 x 7 = £68.14 from Amazon, plus a few Imray guides if you want to do Nene, Fens, etc. Surely more expensive and not so easy to keep on the back hatch to glance at as you pootle along?

I think I will stick to my books as i already have most of them,, £25 a year for updates seem expensive.. I know Tom Tom charge for updates but then the roads are always changing, the route of the canal doesn't :-)

• 2 months later...

1. I think some people are confusing the e-canalmapp smartphone apps and the Water-Way PC product - apps are £5.99/region for iOS and some Android devices.

2. Agreed the canals do not change like roads... but the POIs do and Water-Way publishes new versions almost every week. Also Nicholson don't provide supermarkets, doctors, dentists, vets, laundrettes, post offices, etc.... so £25 might seem a bit pricey but many don't pay anyway as they are providing the Water-Way community with updates.

3. The boat is indeed 'Clent' outside Pete's yard, taken September 2011.

if you have a smart phone you can find supermarkets, doctors, dentists, vets, laundrettes, post offices, etc on lattitude which is a google based map, i use it all the time and costs nothing to use.

if you have a smart phone you can find supermarkets, doctors, dentists, vets, laundrettes, post offices, etc on lattitude which is a google based map, i use it all the time and costs nothing to use.

Hmm, a couple of rain related comments:

1. Our new Nicholson doesn't seem to have pages as water resistant as the previous edition. Mind you that one is pretty distressed after the last 2 weeks

2. Phones, smart or not, are not very water resistant. OH's Nokia has given up after a teensy bit of damp.

Does anyone know when the app for IOS will be available as signed up for the details at crick but not heard anything yet.

Guessing they are having technical issues. Apple are quite strict about what can be released to the app store..

• 4 months later...

Very true - Apple are extremely strict (and quite slow), but this is why Apple apps are far less 'bug-ridden' that Android!. However, technical issues with both Apple and Android have been overcome (for now - until they release new OS!) and the apps are all available on iTunes store and Google Play.

Upgrades are already in development for phased release over the next year - apart from POI data updates, these will include trip tracking, log book creation and a feedback service; also potentially route planning (maybe only for iPad to start with).

Guessing they are having technical issues. Apple are quite strict about what can be released to the app store..