NB Python is gearing up ready to set off on her "Summer Tour 2012"

The itinerary is due to include the following events:

Etruria Canal Festival

Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival

Northwich River Weaver Festival

Audlem Festival Of Transport

Alvecote Festival

Shackerstone Family Festival

Python is operated by a volunteer crew from The Chesterfield Canal Trust so if you see her out and about be sure to come and say hello or give us a friendly wave as we pass by.

Hope to see you all along the route somewhere.

• Greenie 1

Etruria Canal Festival

Alvecote Festival

Python is operated by a volunteer crew from The Chesterfield Canal Trust so if you see her out and about be sure to come and say hello or give us a friendly wave as we pass by.

What a great looking boat, the electric blue really suits it together with the yellow.

Etruria Canal Festival

Alvecote Festival

It would be nice to have all of these events on the forum calendar (instead of all those birthdays which make it unreadable).

What a great looking boat, the electric blue really suits it together with the yellow.

Thank you for your most positive comment, the colours are the British Waterway colours that were being used at the time when Python was being used as a maintenance boat for BW. When we The Canal trust aquired Python these were the colours she was in, we have just repainted her as near as possible to her original colour

Pete

Etruria Canal Festival

Alvecote Festival

You will we are about 4 boats up from you on the same pontoon at Northwich. Look forward to saying hello x

It would be nice to have all of these events on the forum calendar (instead of all those birthdays which make it unreadable).

That is a very good point. A forum calendar would be a really useful resource for all those occasions when you are approaching a weekend and realise you have a space in your social diary to fill.

I have realised that it would have probably been helpful for me to add the dates of these events although I suspect it is easy enough to find some more information via Google.

Hopefully this will help:

Etruria Canal Festival 2nd & 3rd June

Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival 16th & 17th June

Northwich River Weaver Festival 23rd & 24th June

Audlem Festival Of Transport 28th & 29th July

Alvecote Festival 25th & 26th August

Shackerstone Family Festival 1st & 2nd September

You will we are about 4 boats up from you on the same pontoon at Northwich. Look forward to saying hello x

It is all very exciting! :D

It will be lovely for all the crew to get to meet new people this season.

That is a very good point. A forum calendar would be a really useful resource for all those occasions when you are approaching a weekend and realise you have a space in your social diary to fill.

I have realised that it would have probably been helpful for me to add the dates of these events although I suspect it is easy enough to find some more information via Google.

Hopefully this will help:

Etruria Canal Festival 2nd & 3rd June

Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival 16th & 17th June

Northwich River Weaver Festival 23rd & 24th June

Audlem Festival Of Transport 28th & 29th July

Alvecote Festival 25th & 26th August

Shackerstone Family Festival 1st & 2nd September

It is all very exciting! :D

It will be lovely for all the crew to get to meet new people this season.

It will be lovely, see you at Etruria too x

• 3 weeks later...

And so it begins:-

21st May - Python sets off from Shireoaks Marina onto the Chesterfield Canal where the water level seems reasonably higher than of late.

Unfortunately Python has other ideas as we bottom out slightly in Shireoaks Top lock.

BW (or is it CART?) help us out magnificently by flooding the pound for Shireoaks Middle lock but still Python hits the bottom.

We easily solve this by having only one on the stern.

How does he do it, Just how does he know about all that happens on the canal? - Roger Bunting the famed Chesterfield Canal Photographer turned up to witness and record our progress down to Stret lock, Where the very large pound was being flooded. We had nearly an hours wait outside the Lockeeper (how tempting :cheers: ), When we set off the lovely Python had settled onto the bottom again and needed a lot of pushing and manoeuvring to get into Stret lock - ease out nice and gently and - get stuck halfway out. A little bit of flushing by BW and Python pops out of the lock like a big blue cork.

Moored up overnight courtesy of BW Sandy lane (Thanks very much for your assistance)

Well that's it for the tricky Python stopping Chesterfield Canal we think! - lets see what tomorrow brings.

Hoping to get a few more photo's to add later but here is one for good measure - Python stuck in Shireoaks Middle Lock

536521_408302342526550_374153355941449_1301893_234429572_n.jpg

Two days of travel to catch up on due to the lack of internet connection.

Tuesday 22nd May

The crew had planty of opportunity to bathe in the glorious sunshine while Python ploughed the bottom!

We travelled from Sandy Lane to the Hop Pole in glorious sunshine. Python still does not like to go round corners! It will be good when the alterations to the rudder are completed next winter.

At a brige in Woksop Everyone bar the steerer got off to allow a run up - little darlings have ripped up paving slabs and dropped them on the bottom (Python leaping like a salmon is a sight to behold).

Osberton lock - The crew had forgotten that is where we usually hit the cill at the first attempt and so everyone off and gently float her over!

We stopped off at the Chequers at Ranby to deliver Chesterfield Canal leaflets and posters.

After Ranby we stirred up the bottom some more and found a couple of submerged objects and made it round to the Hop Pole taking the last berth.

Edited by NB Python

Birthdays split on to separate calendar.

Daniel

Mod action is required to approve calendar additions, I believe?

Has the (I presume there is such a thing) tasklist for mods been updated to include looking at these?

Or am I being too impatient with my trial first effort?

(Or did I just do it wrong!)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you just love these modern times of limitless electrickery and mobile tinternet?

If that was truly the case then you would not have had to wait this long for an update on our travels. Apologies for the delay!

If you're trying to picture Python getting stuck, here it is struggling at the Shireoaks set of locks.

python%20dislodges.jpg

We stopped off at the Chequers at Ranby to deliver Chesterfield Canal leaflets and posters and left very refreshed.

After Ranby we stirred up the bottom some more and found a couple of submerged objects and made it round to the Hop Pole taking the last berth for the night.

The days comment was:- These Mile Posts are a long way apart! :lol:

Today the skipper cooked lunch (Thanks Mick Cheshire).

The trip then continued along the canal all 15 miles and 5 locks to where Python ended up in West Stockwith before heading out onto the Trent!

waiting%20for%20west%20stockwith%20lock.jpg

24th May Deja Vu

The reason for today's title is that from the Chesterfield Canal there's only one way to the rest of the waterways and that's on the Trent from West Stockwith and in this case we're heading to Newark.

Margaret and Dave had slept overnight at West Stockwith Marina. Dave doesn't do early mornings, but the dawn chorus were oblivious to Dave's feelings and duly woke him at about 3.30. Still, it was a glorious morning with the prospects of a good, fair weather trip up the Trent.

The 'day' crew of Mick Cheshire and Richard Chappell arrived in good time and after a welcoming coffee, arranged an immediate passage through the lock onto a swift incoming tide up the river at 9.15.

exiting%20stockwith.jpg

Mick is an experienced boater on the river and Dave and Margaret have also cruised it several times before, but it was a maiden voyage as far as Richard was concerned. Mick is very knowledgeable in the navigational aspects of the tidal river, but we did have the river navigation charts to hand for the details and the landmarks as we cruised along . A very different experience from taking John Varley to Mill Green!

The tide carried us swiftly up the river and we made excellent time through Gainsborough, Torksey and Dunham. The cruise, whilst full of interest, was otherwise uneventful.

gravel%20barge1.jpg

Nothing else much moved on the river apart from 2 heavily laden gravel barges, some gulls, loads of migrant swans and the spatula turning the bacon in the frying pan! Hmmmm bacon, egg and tomatoes with dippy bread. :wub:

By the time we had passed Fledborough the tide had turned, but this far up river, the flow had little effect in stemming our progress. We made Cromwell Lock by 14.50, Nether Lock at 16.10 and arrived to moor up opposite the Castle in Newark by about 16.30. Does this look familiar?

does%20this%20look%20familiar%202.jpg

We were met by Pete Ramsell and Eddie Lawton who was joining the crew for the trip to Etruria. Eddie's eyes lit up as, at the back of our mooring, there was a large marquee announcing 'Beer Festival'. It was a shame that it didn't start until the following evening. C’est la vie and all that.

Python was now heading to Etruria, where we would be visiting our first festival of the year

2nd June To Etruria

Python cruised from Newark-on-Trent past Castle Marina, where we had a brief stop last year, through Stenson, Fradley and Stone and then onwards into Stoke mooring at the Etruria Industrial Museum, which is next to a BW yard, for our first festival - the Etruria Jubilee Canals Festival.

The festival involved the museum, where fine bone china was made, stalls selling food and promoting other canals and museums, music and of course working boats.

etruria%2001.jpg

There was a lot of rain, especially on Sunday, yet it stopped just in time for Stoke-on-Trent's very own Flotilla. More on that later.

When we arrived, we put out our new A-frame, which has information about the Chesterfield Canal on one side and Python on the other, and also a banner that has a map of the Chesterfield Canal. We found that this attracted people over to Python and gave Eddie and me something to talk about to the public, cyclists and fellow boaters, e.g. Closing the Gap - restoring the last 8 miles of our canal.

etruria%202.jpg

We managed to hand out quite a few Chesterfield Canal Visitor Guides, even though the weather was a bit dodgy, and invite people to the Chesterfield Canal Festival.

etruria%203.jpg

On to Stoke's very own flotilla; the one in Etruria went exactly the same as in London. When setting off, the rain was rather quiet. It was the usual chaos that we experienced when we did the same last year at Braunston. We ended up being at the back despite our carefully laid plans and, on top of that, we got stuck opposite the diesel boat and museum with everybody watching us. Between Eddie using a pole against the bank and the people who run the diesel boat pulling us off, we managed to get going again and join the back of the rather bunched up boats. After carefully making our way up to Etruria's festival park marina to turn, we had to dodge in and out of moored boats to let the front of the flotilla come by. We eventually got to execute a turn to head back to the museum. When we came to moor the heavens opened and we got absolutely soaked. :(

etruria%204.jpg

Over the weekend, we've got to talk to quite a few people and publicise the Chesterfield Canal, so Python has definitely made a great start to this year's trip.

What's next I here you ask? Well this Friday we will move Python to Middlewich for the Folk and Boat Festival. Hopefully we will have better weather than in Etruria.

• Greenie 2

One more photo to add:

562113_10150722765817824_1998176128_n.jpg

This photo was taken by the lovely Viv, owner of NB Monarch. It was spotted on her Facebook page with the title "I spy a snake in the grass" :lol:

This is one snake that does not bite (much)

Update to trip report was written by crew member Tom:

8th June - Pressing on.

Getting up, I was prepared for a two day cruise to Middlewich which I thought was going to be great with the 1 ½ mile long Harecastle Tunnel. Then I heard this from the BBC News "The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for wind in South West England, the Midlands and the South East, and for wind and rain in Wales. Flood warnings and alerts are in place for Wales and Southern England as the weather system moves North East." We were in for a right trip!

After two and a bit hours of driving and getting slightly lost (Yes I can map read, but No not well!), we (Richard, Eddie and I) met up at King's Lock Pub which is next to the lock and moorings for which we were heading, to shuffle cars between there and Etruria.

Driving down the M6 there was rain bouncing off cars and the road. So when we went over a bridge looking at a lock we'd meet on the Trent and Mersey Canal, our smiles turned upside down!

Arriving at Etruria and meeting Python cheered us up, for me just thinking of the fun we had in the flotilla.

As we got ourselves ready to get rather wet, the rain eased a bit whilst we set off. I've got to say it was quite pleasant steering on the back of Python heading up to the tunnel in which my sources (Pete) had told me that you're almost on your knees going through it and I thought it would be a welcome break from the light showers. Arriving at the tunnel, it absolutely poured! We quickly moored, locked ourselves into the hold and got the kettle and frying pan on quite briskly. When the rain lessened, we met the tunnel keeper and took the opportunity to fill up with water as we had an hour's wait.

harecastle%20tunnel%2001.jpg

The tunnel was great and I started to think that Pete didn't know what he was on about until, after been shouted to that we were halfway through, it all of a sudden started to get lower (or were we getting bigger?). It wasn't too bad as at different intervals the tunnel got higher and then lower. (What was James Brindley up to?) Eventually we got to one bit were I was standing on the second step down in the engine room. Overall it was dark, long and had loads of stalactites coming down off the ceiling but I rather enjoyed it and was quite over-excited really but it got me out of the wet and it was good practice for when the last 400 metres of Norwood Tunnel is eventually reopened.

Well after that we met locks and, since it was absolutely pouring down, we decided that we were making good enough time to change the plan. If we could get through all 30 locks and the rest of the 18 ¼ miles to Middlewich, we could be home in time for a warm drink and bed!

So that's what we did. With it raining, us cheering fellow boaters and walkers up, and locking locks like never before, even with someone walking and setting the next one up, we made good time. The water eventually got through my boots (and I was steering) so I can't imagine what Richard's and Eddie's were like!

We eventually got to Wheelock with a good amount of the locks behind us and only three or four left, so I swapped the helm with Richard.

We got to Middlewich eventually and cut the two day cruise down to an extended soggy single day. The FAB weekend (Folk and Boat Festival) in Middlewich, weather permitting, should be a really great time and that's where we'll be over the 15th, 16th and 17th June before heading to Northwich and the Anderton Lift. So if you're going to be there, whether by boat, car or any other means of transport, we hope to see you, so come and see us!

• 2 weeks later...

It was fantastic to catch up with The Python team at The Northwich River Weaver Festival yesterday. There were a lot of people showing interest in the work of The Chesterfield Trust despite the showery weather.

I felt it was a great pity that it was not possible for the general public to enter the pontoons to see the historic boats. Viewed from the bank they all looked gorgeous and We know I could probably have blagged my way onto the pontoon to talk to the boaters but we did not. The Python team had their own presence with their gazebo with the stalls meaning that they were far more available to the the general public that many others. Python might have been so sandwiched in by other boats that it was not going to be moving anywhere in a hurry but it did mean it was showing itself off to the public far more than most of the other boats.

545345_10150974822694070_66180846_n.jpg

I am looking forward to your next update