Been a classic silly newbie :(

Myself

Featured Posts

Just a quick update.

Thanks to you guys my lovely boat is now on its way to having all the work done AND through negotiating with the former owner, the money he sent is covering the whole cost.

Also the wonderful guy that is doing the work is going to service the engine, hopefully I won't have another problem with oil then :)

Will update again later, and thanks again everyone

Joy x

Just a quick update.

Thanks to you guys my lovely boat is now on its way to having all the work done AND through negotiating with the former owner, the money he sent is covering the whole cost.

Also the wonderful guy that is doing the work is going to service the engine, hopefully I won't have another problem with oil then :)

Joy x

Seems like a good result, well done wink.gif

Well done to all the CWDF contributors to this thread too - your advice and good sense helped Joy get the situation resolved most satisfactorily it seems. This really is a brilliant site for all sorts of reasons - and particularly when a boater is in trouble of some sort.

It isn't possible to give collective greenies but all of you on this thread, please consider yourselves well and truly greened! :cheers:

Edited by Jo_

Well said Jo,

without the help I received here I would have sold the boat and thought it a lesson learned. Now I am back on track and almost ready to live my dream.

Everyone helped me so much, but have to thank Mr Chris Pink, Mr Bizzard, and Mr Dave especially, who all took time out to walk a newbie through this. And young Mr Pink who is helping me now.

I am so grateful for all the help.

Joy x

Well said Jo,

without the help I received here I would have sold the boat and thought it a lesson learned. Now I am back on track and almost ready to live my dream.

Everyone helped me so much, but have to thank Mr Chris Pink, Mr Bizzard, and Mr Dave especially, who all took time out to walk a newbie through this. And young Mr Pink who is helping me now.

I am so grateful for all the help.

Joy x

Well done Joy, very pleased for you.

Just a quick update.

Joy x

:) excellent news Joy and I am glad that things have worked out well. Now you can start to relax and enjoy your boat and boating :)

Built in 1976 so 36 years young :)

I had a 1972 n/boat before my present one. I had to renew the whole of the Uxter plating''swim tops''and fabricate and weld in a new weed box,it nearly sank. But is still going strong and giving someone pleasure.

Hi this is really an awful situation for you,however, you will come through with loads of support from other boaters and people on here.

I would grab the money he offers you, see if he will put anything in writing about only paying half. Don't say anything yourself agreeing with him. Then when you get the final bill ask him again - in writing nicely to pay the balance. If he refuses write and tell him you plan to apply to the small claims court and he will end up with a CCJ against his name. It will cost you a £100 which if found in your favour he'll have to pay and can all be done on the internet. I just feel he has took you and that is not how things should be done.

When it's all over relax and enjoy your boat, it's great.

I don't know, it sounds to me as if he may have acted in good faith and genuinely underestimated the scale of the repairs. And as others have said, the OP may now be overestimating them. Lets not be too quick to leap to the conclusion that everyone is a con-man.

I think you are being a bit soft here. The bottom of a boat is everything under the waterline, if you get your bottom blacked (I know!) and they didn't do the sides everyone on here would tell you to take them to court. You bought the boat on the understanding that any work required to the bottom (including the sides) would be paid for by the vendor, if he hadn't given that assurance you wouldn't have bought the boat. Don't mess about with with county courts on the internet, go to a proper solicitor with your contract and get him to write a letter to the vendor explaining his obligations, then have the boat fixed properly at the vendors expense.

I disagree. The bottom is the bottom, which most people don't actually black. You black the hull.

I know these posts have been superseded by later events, but still think that needs saying.

Great result for the OP, but having read the entire thread, am I the only one who feels some sympathy for the vendor too?

Edited by Chertsey

My first port of call would probably be a Citizens advice bureau.

Followed by getting a second opinion on the state of the hull: I'm with Chris Pink and feel that this might be a case of being overcautious and also the surveyor not thinking through the problems that go with a lot of over-plating.

I'm probably a bit late, but here goes anyway.

Strictly speaking the 'bottom' of a boat is the hull below the waterline, whether the boat is hard chine (like a narrowboat) or round bottomed makes no difference. The seller may have meant only the bottom plate, but if your contract refers to work on the bottom of the boat, then it also includes the side plates up to the waterline.

Without seeing the survey in detail, or surveying the boat myself, I can't comment on whether the suggested work is necessary or not. Having said that, if the surveyor thought you could get away with localised patching then they'd probably have said so.

I know you don't currently need a surveyor, but for future reference I'm happy to travel over to the Birmingham area to do surveys or consultancy (I moved to Norfolk but grew up in Bearwood and still have family in the area).

Built in 1976 so 36 years young :)

Hiya

Was it yourselves that moored up behind me at padworth on the k&a last weekend? If so i hope all went well after your fuel and charging issues you were suffering from, the boat sounded sweet enough when you left.

Paul

Hi Paul,

yes that was us. Still having a problem with the lift pump but hopefully that will be sorted tomorrow and she will continue on her way. Was great being on her for a couple of days.

Hopefully see you soon.

Joy

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update everyone, my lovely boat is having all her work undertaken as I type. I was there for the first 2 days and will go back to be there when she is refloated on Friday. The work being done is amazing I am so happy. I will post some boring pics of the work under way and completed in due time, so please be warned! Thank you to everyone for helping me keep my dream going.

Joy x

Just to update everyone, my lovely boat is having all her work undertaken as I type. I was there for the first 2 days and will go back to be there when she is refloated on Friday. The work being done is amazing I am so happy. I will post some boring pics of the work under way and completed in due time, so please be warned! Thank you to everyone for helping me keep my dream going.

Joy x

It's a good feeling to bring Joy to a day

day to a Joy.............

ah!

Joy to a Joy <_<

• 2 months later...

Time to update.....

The work on my boat is now complete, I can only thank Iolo Lavinder for all his hard work and all the people on this forum that helped me to sort it all out.

I was so lucky in the end as the ex-owner gave enough money for the welding to be completed, and also have a new tiller arm, although Iolo didn't get time to finish this, it's still much better than it was.

I also need to give a shout out to Semington dock, who took us on at short notice as we were supposed to go to Bradford docks but as the canal was closed Semington took me in at very short notice, and have been great since. I would recommend the guys at Semington, Ian, Leb, Jason and Jeff if anyone needs any work done in that area of the world.

As I did not need to use my money for the welding I have been able to get the guys there to do all the other work I needed doing that had taken second place to the welding.

I have had the engine sorted, so no more oil leaks, lift pump problems, over heating, water leaking, yay. I also had the electrics redone as the batteries were not charging properly and i found out the leasure bateries were not connected properly. I then had 2x100 watt solar panels fitted which now means, for the warmer weather at least, i now have all the power i need and no longer sit in the dim light in the evening.

I have changed her name to Thaisa, a very personal and special (and individual!) name, which to me at least, seems to suit my boat better. I will get a sign writer to put her name on properly as soon as my house is sold and I move onto her full time....soon, hopefully soon.

Again Thank you to all the people on this forum who have helped me as I now have a safe boat that i can live on and be happy for a long time.

A very happy Joy x

Edited to say I have put up pictures in the gallery

Edited by Myself

Time to update.....

The work on my boat is now complete, I can only thank Iolo Lavinder for all his hard work and all the people on this forum that helped me to sort it all out.

I was so lucky in the end as the ex-owner gave enough money for the welding to be completed, and also have a new tiller arm, although Iolo didn't get time to finish this, it's still much better than it was.

I also need to give a shout out to Semington dock, who took us on at short notice as we were supposed to go to Bradford docks but as the canal was closed Semington took me in at very short notice, and have been great since. I would recommend the guys at Semington, Ian, Leb, Jason and Jeff if anyone needs any work done in that area of the world.

As I did not need to use my money for the welding I have been able to get the guys there to do all the other work I needed doing that had taken second place to the welding.

I have had the engine sorted, so no more oil leaks, lift pump problems, over heating, water leaking, yay. I also had the electrics redone as the batteries were not charging properly and i found out the leasure bateries were not connected properly. I then had 2x100 watt solar panels fitted which now means, for the warmer weather at least, i now have all the power i need and no longer sit in the dim light in the evening.

I have changed her name to Thaisa, a very personal and special (and individual!) name, which to me at least, seems to suit my boat better. I will get a sign writer to put her name on properly as soon as my house is sold and I move onto her full time....soon, hopefully soon.

Again Thank you to all the people on this forum who have helped me as I now have a safe boat that i can live on and be happy for a long time.

A very happy Joy x

Edited to say I have put up pictures in the gallery

:) wonderful news Joy :) wishing you happy days always, now you can relax and enjoy xx