jabsco pump problens

Featured Posts

So the old jabsco water pump packed in and as we were in a hurry i ordered the exact same model, a jabsco par-max 3. Now it came with all sorts of strange extra bits and instructions for a sea toilet and its got me thinking that this pump isn't built to provide for a domestic water system, particularly as it does this super slow noise frequently that sounds like some sort of creature under our bed, not even a whiring but very slow frequent mechanical sounds that dims the lights every minute or so meaning we are having to turn it off at theswitch all the time..plus thepump itself is quite warm wen it is in said creature mode...

Can any one shed any light on this? Thanks

The pump has been on (but not in use) for two hours and the body of its not just warm its hot! What is it up to?

Normally these pumps whizz away quite fast.

It sounds to me like the problem may be an electrical one, preventing the pump from getting enough power to build up the pressure needed to operate the cut-out switch. This would cause the pump to run very slowly or stall, causing it to draw even more current and then overheat,

The normal running current should be only 5 amps which would not dim the lights. Either the batteries are flat, or there is a poor connection that is shared by the pumps and the lights - such as the battery terminals or main switch.

To try and explain (apologies if I'm telling you what you already know); the faster a motor is spinning, the less current it draws from the battery. When you open a tap, the pump has very little load so it spins freely and this actually causes it to take very little current, which means it gets the full 12 volts and doesn't dim the lights. When you close the taps it needs more current to make it build up the pressure, then if there's an electrical problem that extra current causes a voltage drop which makes it turn slower which makes it draw more current which .... etc

he pump has been on (but not in use) for two hours and the body of its not just warm its hot! What is it up to?

Er, is the pressure switch connected?!?! A few piccies would help if you're unsure.

Edit: Keeping Up has highlighted the likely problem.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

It should not be generating any heat (what-so-ever!) on standby . . there's summat wrong!

There is a distinct possibility that something killed your old pump and that fault is still there and is trying to kill your new one.

Er, is the pressure switch connected?!?! A few piccies would help if you're unsure.

Edit: Keeping Up has highlighted the likely problem.

Yep, check the connections. (Some pressure switches have a diode in to prevent contact burn, so can be connected wrong way round).

Sounds like its getting power after it has stopped!

Found the problem, its the wrong bloody pump! My partner installed it before i got to see it and assumed i had gone for another pump, on googling the model number on the side of the otherwise blank pump body, turns out its a par max 4 for use in a flushing toilet system rather than the par max 3 i ordered from mailspeed marine... They are uwfully sorry and are now out of stock of the par max three, and we don't now know whether we'll get a refund as it has already been installed, grrrrr... Lesson learnt- don't shop with mailspeed marine!!