Well we done it.........bought our first boat!

Narrow Minded

Featured Posts

Listened to many people and what has been said on this forum and now done the deal, subject to survey.

The boat is a 50 ft semi trad built in 1998 by Midlands Canal Centre with a Beta BV 1903 engine and bow thruster.

We are going to call her Narrow Minded.

See you on the cut soon.

Listened to many people and what has been said on this forum and now done the deal, subject to survey.

The boat is a 50 ft semi trad built in 1998 by Midlands Canal Centre with a Beta BV 1903 engine and bow thruster.

See you on the cut soon.

You don't mention which toilet choice you made..........this is leaving you open to abuse from both sides not just one..... ;)

Well done, fantastic news, when do you think you will be out and about......as soon as possible , or sooner!!

You don't mention which toilet choice you made..........

We have a right to know!!! (Especially as they say they've got a bow thruster) ;)

Seriously though, well done! Its a nice feeling isn't it. :D

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Actually, Red Wharf has a BT too, but we've never used it. I thought I'd give the girly button a press when I was out and about last weekend, just to see if it still worked. PANIC nothing happened. Then I remembered I'd turned it off by the isolater in the bow. Panic over!

See you on the cut soon.

where you keeping it? who you bought it off? and have you any pictures?

Hi I am in a similar situation, I have to tell you that now the hard work starts to happen, I am finding the negotiation process to get the boat into a working state after seeing the survey results very difficult. I wish you all the best and have streanth

• 2 months later...

Now that was a bold step, Mr. Rollins. How is it going? Any regrets, or "wish we'd done it earlier"?

I don,t know about a bold step some might say complete madness, just selling up and buying a boat never ever trying one in anyway shape or form. Lol.

Well so far its going great ask me after an harsh winter when the water taps froze or the pump out station is not working. We did look around at a fair few boats before buying this 70ft semi trad from stoke. I really enjoyed bringing it down from Stoke which took nine days to Gloucester the fun began when it was put into the water facing the wrong way and I had to try and reverse it back to the winding hole. I had to watch someone use the lock so I knew what to do. But its all part of the fun. The river severn worried me a bit thinking about coming down it but once on it there were no problems only masses of debris what the spring tide had brought up. The boat as already had some money off us batteries, cratch cover etc. And i,ve just built the roof boxes ready for the solar panels, then come september we want to replace the oil fire with a multi fuel fire and the carpets with a wooden floor. We have put at least a 10 year plan on the idea of living on a boat thats why we are spending a little now to get it how we want.

So far I wish we had done it earlier its nice to have the freedom to move about a see different views from the window, living on the towpath reminds me of the 17 years we had in Barmouth where everyone spoke and were friendly a good old tight nit community. I lived in a house in Gloucester for 12 years and its amazing that you do not even get to know your neighbours from a couple of doors down. Everyone just comes from work shuts the door and thats it. What amazes me is that when total strangers walk along the towpath they speak and are friendly yet they would probably pass you in the street without a glance.

My only regret I have just cancelled my nine days holiday due to the bad weather, we were going to travel back up the severn and off at diglas basin, perhaps july or august might bring some better weather.