Volvo Penta

Pastures

Featured Posts

My engine seems to be "missing" should I clean fuel lines and if so how?

Well, first you need to try to establish why it "missing" and it would help if you were more precise as to the engine model and exactly when the "missing" takes place together with some sort of description.

If the thing has decompressors make sure they are off AND correctly adjusted. Then check the valve clearances.

If that shows no problems get it "missing" and open the bleed screw on the injector pump. Fuel should pour out. If not or it only dribbles you have a lack of fuel so its change the filter, check the strainer in the lift pump (assuming you have one), check any water traps in the fuel line from the tank and blow back down the line into the tank in case any muck has blocked the pipe in the tank.

If that is all OK disconnect the inlet pipe from the filter and spin the engine on the starter, expect about an eggcup of fuel each two revolutions of the engine. Significantly less may indicate a faulty lift pump.

If that fails to show a fault reassemble and bleed the system - can't tell you exactly how until we know the engine.

Get it missing again and loosen each injector pipe in turn. The one that makes little difference to engine sound/speed is the cylinder that is missing. Now it is up to you. Either compression test and if OK have the injector tested or the other way round. This is no good if it is a single cylinder so go straight to the compression test/injector check scenario.

So not a very urgent question then! :angry:

Sometimes I wonder why more of us do not resort to "funny" remarks rather than trying to help.

If your engine is missing then cleaning the fuel lines will not help until you find it.

Brasso is great on copper fuel lines and brings them up real clean and shiny - won't do much to solve a running problem though

Reminds me that a few years ago a gentleman, former amateur racing-driver and classic-car journalist,called in with his newly-purchased boat and complained that the engine was "misfiring". Before I stepped on board Iasked what engine was in the boat. "Perkins P3,I believe" says he !.......

It might be useful to have a few more details of your particular engine before anyone can give you more specific things to look for. What model is it for example, one of their smaller basic river boat engines or an all singing, all dancing, fire spitting, turbo charged example. :rolleyes:

If it is any consolation our mid range VP lump has been ultra reliable for the last few years <touches some wood> so I wouldnt expect it to be anything major. Check your fuel filters are clean and are not letting any air into the system for starters. Start with the simple things first.

And if it is a Vetus....don't forget to check the little filter in the electric lift pump(which is nearly always hidden away low down on the right-hand side looking forward.)