Sad News about Maureen Shaw who used to live a Wardle Lock Cottage

John Watson

Featured Posts

Another sad loss to the canal network.

If Maureen has photos of canal life, perhaps one of our historians might try and contact her family to ensure these are not lost to posterity? I don't know what family she has living, but maybe they might like to ensure her legacy?

Doesn't compensate for the loss though

Sadly Maureen, who used to live at Wardle Lock Cottage on the Middlewich Branch, died last night, Saturday 17th March 2012, she passed away peacefully at Leighton Hospital near Crewe.

Many boaters will have encountered Maureen as they passed through Wardle Lock, she had something of a reputation of speaking her mind if you made a mistake :-) but this was just her way and she helped and advised many an inexperienced boater and always had time for those who were prepared to listen.

Maureen was part of the Jinks boating family, she worked on the boats for many years firstly with her family and later with Jack her husband on their own boats. We had a passing acquaintance with Maureen for a long time but since coming to live in Middlewich we got to know her well. She was a kind and generous person with a fund of stories about her life on the boats and will be sadly missed by many.

I will post details of the funeral arrangements when I know them

John Watson

nb Tam Lin

Like many, we have had many a chat with Maureen over the years. A fund of knowledge, and a delightful example of that dying breed of "formidable" ladies.

Maureen knew her stuff, and didn't suffer fools gladly, but she was also a sweet person who wanted to help, and to share the company of others. She cared that people got it right, and must surely have been an asset to the local hire firms as their hirers, having fumbled through the first couple of locks, arrived with Maureen for their advanced education.

If you got it right, you received understated praise, and a story of somebody who didn't get it right. If you got it wrong, you got good advice. If you got it wrong and didn't want advice... well, that wouldn't be a good idea!

To all and sundry, she was just Maureen, and she invited such familiarity, except for those who got it wrong and wouldn't take good advice, such as the odd wet-behind-the-ears BW manager, who imagined that HE knew more than Maureen. They were firmly put in their place, and told "It's Mrs Shaw to you"

After passing her on the lockside (and usually passing muster), many times, we heard of her illness, and finding her not out and about one day, Bev knocked to ask how she was feeling, and to ask if there was anything that we could do for her, and was invited in for a cup of tea, which was a treasured experience.

If ever the saying that "they broke the mould when they made her" was apt, it was in Maureen's case, and we have lost one of the colourful characters of the inland waterways who will never be replaced.

I hope that in the fullness of time, Maureen is properly commemorated at the lock where she achieved such fame. I would hope that the new owners would agree to a blue plaque, and that we could have a board telling the story of Maureen.

• Greenie 1

Absolutely all agreed Dave, but a couple of quick snips here, just to save space:

<snip>

If you got it right, you received understated praise, and a story of somebody who didn't get it right. If you got it wrong, you got good advice. If you got it wrong and didn't want advice... well, that wouldn't be a good idea!

It was one of my proudest moments of recent years when, after I'd had a particularly tricky waltz around the other boats at the junction, Mauren commented to Pingu that i'd managed that quite well. Seeing my brass windlass, she then brought out her collection of windlasses to the lockside, and we spent a happy few minutes talking about them.

<snip>

I hope that in the fullness of time, Maureen is properly commemorated at the lock where she achieved such fame. I would hope that the new owners would agree to a blue plaque, and that we could have a board telling the story of Maureen.

Now THAT would be a good idea. I'm sure there'd be a good response to a collection for that purpose. It will always be known as Maureen's lock by those who met her, whatever its official name may be.

I am sorry that my canal wanderings have never taken me to Wardle, or Maureen's, Lock, I would have loved to have met her.

For how long had she lived there?

Since her father Danny died, who lived there before her and was also a great canal person, who we should not forget either.

Maureen and her brass windlass and Wardle lock all go together. She was always genuinely glad to see us, told us of the latest stupid antics that hirers got up to, reminisced about her boating days and was a real friend. Passing the lock will never be the same.

Absolutely all agreed Dave, but a couple of quick snips here, just to save space:

It was one of my proudest moments of recent years when, after I'd had a particularly tricky waltz around the other boats at the junction, Mauren commented to Pingu that i'd managed that quite well. Seeing my brass windlass, she then brought out her collection of windlasses to the lockside, and we spent a happy few minutes talking about them.

Now THAT would be a good idea. I'm sure there'd be a good response to a collection for that purpose. It will always be known as Maureen's lock by those who met her, whatever its official name may be.

We would certainly contribute to any idea like that! Maureen was always the highlight of any passage through Wardle lock.

Like many, we have had many a chat with Maureen over the years. A fund of knowledge, and a delightful example of that dying breed of "formidable" ladies.

Maureen knew her stuff, and didn't suffer fools gladly, but she was also a sweet person who wanted to help, and to share the company of others. She cared that people got it right, and must surely have been an asset to the local hire firms as their hirers, having fumbled through the first couple of locks, arrived with Maureen for their advanced education.

To all and sundry, she was just Maureen, and she invited such familiarity, except for those who got it wrong and wouldn't take good advice, such as the odd wet-behind-the-ears BW manager, who imagined that HE knew more than Maureen. They were firmly put in their place, and told "It's Mrs Shaw to you"

After passing her on the lockside (and usually passing muster), many times, we heard of her illness, and finding her not out and about one day, Bev knocked to ask how she was feeling, and to ask if there was anything that we could do for her, and was invited in for a cup of tea, which was a treasured experience.

If ever the saying that "they broke the mould when they made her" was apt, it was in Maureen's case, and we have lost one of the colourful characters of the inland waterways who will never be replaced.

Very nicely put Dave. I too hope that Maureen is properly commemorated at Wardle lock. My wife and I have very fond memories of her. I would be more than happy to contribute to some sort of plaque etc.

Edited by Guest

We would certainly contribute to any idea like that! Maureen was always the highlight of any passage through Wardle lock.

Count us in too!

P.S. We once met Maureen's nephew Mark who was moored at Lock 57 on the Trent & Murky. He reminisced about how he spent holidays at the cottage with his aunty and also had some great boating tales to tell.

Edited by Doorman

Thanks for the info about Maureen's funeral. I can't go as I have a hospital preop. appointment that morning. I do hope that the boat can be arranged to carry Maureen's coffin, I think it is an excellent idea. If there are to be donations in memory of Maureen, would somebody be kind enough to post details please?

Thank you.