Sad News about Maureen Shaw who used to live a Wardle Lock Cottage

John Watson

Featured Posts

Sadly Maureen, who used to live at Wardle Lock Cottage on the Middlewich Branch, died last night, Saturday 17th March 2012, she passed away peacefully at Leighton Hospital near Crewe.

Many boaters will have encountered Maureen as they passed through Wardle Lock, she had something of a reputation of speaking her mind if you made a mistake :-) but this was just her way and she helped and advised many an inexperienced boater and always had time for those who were prepared to listen.

Maureen was part of the Jinks boating family, she worked on the boats for many years firstly with her family and later with Jack her husband on their own boats. We had a passing acquaintance with Maureen for a long time but since coming to live in Middlewich we got to know her well. She was a kind and generous person with a fund of stories about her life on the boats and will be sadly missed by many.

I will post details of the funeral arrangements when I know them

John Watson

nb Tam Lin

Sadly Maureen, who used to live at Wardle Lock Cottage on the Middlewich Branch, died last night, Saturday 17th March 2012, she passed away peacefully at Leighton Hospital near Crewe.

Many boaters will have encountered Maureen as they passed through Wardle Lock, she had something of a reputation of speaking her mind if you made a mistake :-) but this was just her way and she helped and advised many an inexperienced boater and always had time for those who were prepared to listen.

Maureen was part of the Jinks boating family, she worked on the boats for many years firstly with her family and later with Jack her husband on their own boats. We had a passing acquaintance with Maureen for a long time but since coming to live in Middlewich we got to know her well. She was a kind and generous person with a fund of stories about her life on the boats and will be sadly missed by many.

John Watson

nb Tam Lin

A truly genuine person who went out of her way to help us even though she didn't know us, we were just another boat passing through HER lock.

John Watson

nb Tam Lin

Sad news indeed, we have had many conversations with Maureen as we have passed through Wardle Lock. Sincere condolences to all her Family.

Met her while we passed Middlewich, clear advice about rope stowage, particularly the stern rope which I now, having taken her advice, deposit on the too when not in use, no longer does it rest wound around the tiller.

Respect.

Roof top that is

I make no apologies for posting this photo again, of Maureen the last time we passed through her lock. An incredible character whom once met, was never forgotten. How ironic that she passed away on St.Paddy's day! As half an Irishman I shall raise a glass of Guinness for her today.

I do hope that the folk of Middlewich pay homage to her in some way.

25a6gi0.jpg

RIP Maureen.

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 2

Wardle lock and Maureen go hand in hand,met her several times,last time was when I mentioned to a boat crew in the lock to be careful,as the surge of water will launch your boat suddenly into the gate.

Maureen came out pointing her stick towards me standing near the lock,saying"listen to him and only a few turns until the lock is half filled".

Then Maureen ask me,or was that" told " me to come over and move one of her plant pots,a proper character Maureen and part of a novices learning curve.

Maureens lock aka wardle lock..

In my thoughts today

Edited by sheriff

I am gutted. I have been on the receiving end of Maureen's "instructions" more than once, and we will really miss her. She remembered my wife's boating family from way back. It will always be "Maureen's Lock" to me, and it would be a fitting tribute if it could be renamed thus.

The country seems to lack such characters today and it is a great pity to lose the remaining few we have left.

RIP Maureen.

Sadly missed by all who have passed through Wardle Lock over the years.

To me it was always "Maureen's Lock" rather than Wardle Lock. It would be nice if the new owners called the house "Maureen's Cottage" rather than just Lock Cottage".

Hi all

Sad news indeed. I only met Maureen a few times, notably a couple of years ago when I was en route to Northwich from Norton Canes to tow Vienna, an FMC butty, back to the yard. As we worked through the lock, Maureeen peered out of the window and then appeared on the towpath and was kind enough to be complimentary about Resolute and the brass and ropework which adorns her. I was heartened by this, praise from a member of the working boat community is as good as it gets in my book (alright, I'm a sad and grumpy anorak!!)

A couple of days later we returned with Vienna in tow. Once again Maureen emerged, this tme armed with photographs of her family in trading boat days. For a good 20 mins she entralled us with these and accompanying remeniscences. Another link with the past is lost.....I hope that her archive isn't lost with it, tho' I fear it may not have survvived the move following her illness, reported here earlier.

Dave

Having met Maureen many times whilst boating in the Northwest, she gave us instructions, advice, a mooring space alongside her cottage one late evening and always had time for a friendly chat. For the whole famaily its will always be Maureen's Lock and we shall remember her every time we pass by.

RIP

Boatingbiker & family

Edited by Boatingbiker

Sadly missed by all who have passed through Wardle Lock over the years.

To me it was always "Maureen's Lock" rather than Wardle Lock. It would be nice if the new owners called the house "Maureen's Cottage" rather than just Lock Cottage".

Hi Dave, I totally agree with that sentiment and as the new owners are members on here, they might just do what you suggest. Let's hope so!

Mike

The country seems to lack such characters today and it is a great pity to lose the remaining few we have left.

RIP Maureen.

Once again, I agree with that sentiment too. I don't know whether it's because I'm such an old codger, but there does seem to be very few like Maureen about these days. Fortunately for us, living here in Audlem, we do meet a very varied and interesting assortment of folk, both living here and passing through.

This Easter will no doubt invite some quirky boaters along the 'road' through the village. I just hope that they leave their Ipads and mobiles back home where they belong and not gripped vice like in their hands whilst negotiating a lock.

If ever Maureen spotted that sort of lunatic behaviour she'd have thrown one of her pots full of flowers at them, Plonkers!

Mike.

For the benefit of every one else on this forum.

Please could you put a little more clothing on your avatar? (Chrissie's is fine though!).

:P

That's the budgy pouch that you bought me for Christmas!

Mike.

For the benefit of every one else on this forum.

Please could you put a little more clothing on your avatar? (Chrissie's is fine though!).

Avatar? I thought it was a photo like Bizzards

Don