Brackets for solar panels

JDR

Featured Posts

Hi John

Sorry I made assumptions following some ones post suggesting you might have made them, I'll probably copy the same.

Regards

julian

sorry , that was me being faceshus having a little giggle at Johns expense. Hence the ;) smiley. However, good that you have found them so simple to get made.

sorry , that was me being faceshus having a little giggle at Johns expense. Hence the ;) smiley. However, good that you have found them so simple to get made.

Hi Matt

No worries laugh.gif

It did prompt me to PM John though asking for info laugh.gif He must have wondered, what's this guy on about laugh.gif

End of day good solution for the panels, I have another plan but this is simple and easy and I do advocate to KISS

Edited by Julynian

Sorry if this is covered earlier but has anybody managed to successfully secure their SP brackets with adhesive?, rather than drilling the boat if so what was used?

Peraps once you have one finished, we han all have a peep!!

(as I do need to improve on my 360 degree rotational angled pallet system at some point)

Your system seems like what I was originally planning. I posted this last week.

Iv'e worked out a plan where the 6 x 80 watt or preferred 2 x 240 watt panels will be mounted on a light timber frame which will end up about 2 metres x 1.65 metres and weigh about 50 kilos with frame and fittings. The 2 metre length will run across the roof and the shorter 2.65 metre width run parallel, this allows more tilt from side to side as the longer ends can go lower due to the curvature of the roof falling away. Basically this will sit mid roof and pivot on a 12 inch diameter plastic ball set into the centre of the array and swivel in a bowl like fixing fitted to the roof, this will enable the array to swivel and tilt the array toward the sun moving it manually every hour or so through the day. The unit can achieve a 30 degree tilt at all 360 degrees around. However the array only ever needs to swivel a total of 45 degrees either clockwise or anticlockwise from it's axis to achieve this. Solid steel balls in 40mm tubes fixed to the underside of all 4 outer edges of the array will roll in the direction of the desired tilt weighting it in that position. Because it's centrally balanced it will be very easy to move ant tilt. If it gets too windy the array can be set back level with 4 fixing straps. The amount of tilt will be limited around 30 degree, but in the winter the sun is low and this might allow some extra gain on sunny winter days. and in summer the sun is low early morning and evening. Seems like a mad idea but having the array all fixed together makes it difficult for them to get nicked, and walking off with a massive panel weighing a 100cwt would be tricky lol The array can also be stabilised level when the sun is directly above.I planned on a frame anyway rather than having panels laying around loose, the extra fittings needed to do this will cost around 60 quid, so worth a try I reckon.

Thing is Johns set up is much simpler and will save a lot of work. mmmmmmmmm unsure.gif

Edited by Julynian

Sorry if this is covered earlier but has anybody managed to successfully secure their SP brackets with adhesive?, rather than drilling the boat if so what was used?

I fixed my four panels with Sikaflex (221 I think). They were put on around four years ago and are still OK. They had to be fitted lengthways along the boat otherwise very big brackets would be needed due to curvature of the roof.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Reference drilling snd tapping roofs,invest in a Rivnut kit ,they are brilliant ,drill the hole pop in the rivnut with the crimping tool and away you go.Works in G.R.P.just as well as in metal.Best thing I ever bought gets you out of no end of problems. Cheers,

Ian F B.

Hi,

Reference drilling snd tapping roofs,invest in a Rivnut kit ,they are brilliant ,drill the hole pop in the rivnut with the crimping tool and away you go.Works in G.R.P.just as well as in metal.Best thing I ever bought gets you out of no end of problems. Cheers,

Ian F B.

Hi Ian

Got a link to this tool?

Just purchased 2 x Hyundai HIS250MG monocrystalline solar pv panel. £0.90p per watt delivered. So a 500 watt array with just 2 panels.

Decided to make the array as I suggested in an earlier post so need to secure a roof fixing, other fixings also.

Do you have a link to the vendor site, that is seriously good pricing

Hi matt

The seller had 4 for sale brand new in packaging, I bought 2 buy it now £225 each this afternoon, another one sold not long after. So there's one remaining but the listing has timed out just before 7pm, so he may re-list the last one tomorrow being a working day. He's in Brum BTW and would deduct delivery costs if a buyer wants to collect, shame I didn't have one of the trucks going that way. Still a good price though.

Here's the link to my purchase, you'll probably be able to to find out if he re-lists the item from this info.

http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1158

ETA

If you have no luck with the above seller, this seller is an even better price, In fact the best price I’ve found on E-Bay BIN 240 watt just under £0.82p per watt.

I phoned them last week, they fit solar panels country wide so buy a lot and can sell them quite cheap. I didn’t have any vehicles goingthat way either or would have purchased. They’re in Hertfordshire.

http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1169

Edited by Julynian

Hi Ian

Got a link to this tool?

Just purchased 2 x Hyundai HIS250MG monocrystalline solar pv panel. £0.90p per watt delivered. So a 500 watt array with just 2 panels.

Decided to make the array as I suggested in an earlier post so need to secure a roof fixing, other fixings also.

Rivnut

Hi Ian

Got a link to this tool?

Rivnut

My solution to fitting solar panels and have security, and I have three x 100w panels and housing ready to fit, is to hinge all three panels so that they can be folded into the footprint of one and stored in a locked roof box when the boat is left for long periods. I know this means no use during those times, but I can manage.

The centre panel is firmly attached to the roof box at one end with hinges and stainless steel bolts with lock nuts.. The outside one attached to that end folds over the centre and the other outside panel folds under the centre panel for storage purposes.

The far ends of the run are locked down to hasp and staple. The centre panel has the box to provide security and support. The outside panels each have support along their length each side to form a continuous run, mostly cosmetic and quick to install and remove.

Once folded up, a custom made box top fits the whole assembly and locks down.

The box itself will be fitted firmly to the roof with brackets on the inside. It's a fair amount of work but it's tidy.

I know it might seem over the top, but I'm not about to spend another heap of money on replacing stolen panels.

Edited by Higgs

I have a selection of small panels from maplins and I tie them down with bits of washing lie from a scrap rotay airer I found.They get stashed away when I go out of the basin so the heath robinson nature of the set up doesnt matter.

With so little roof and needing to be able to walk on it means I would struggle to decide where to put more panels.

Theres some neat solutions on here for those less challenged in the roof department though

Edited by madcat

Hi,

Ian F B.

That's a top tip and no mistake,thanks.Being a lazy git I wonder if there is anyway of securing the bolts without having to remove ceiling panel and insulation, maybe aralditing the bolts? Ultimately if somebody was really determined is there anything that is 100% secure anyway? The roofbox idea is great but probably overkill for my intended use.Removing the panel when the boat is unattended is another option but seems self defeating.Apart from the unfortunate incident reported in General Boating is it actually a major issue?

Edited by JDR

That's a top tip and no mistake,thanks.Being a lazy git I wonder if there is anyway of securing the bolts without having to remove ceiling panel and insulation, maybe aralditing the bolts? Ultimately if somebody was really determined is there anything that is 100% secure anyway? The roofbox idea is great but probably overkill for my intended use.Removing the panel when the boat is unattended is another option but seems self defeating.Apart from the unfortunate incident reported in General Boating is it actually a major issue?

If you want to make it as difficult as possible for scrotes to enjoy your solar panels.

Use Stainless steel Allen bolts into the Rivnuts.

Then drill out the hexagonal centre of the bolts.

When the time comes that you want to remove / replace / repair the bolts - you'll have the job of using mole-grips . cutting flats on them - - but at least the ne're-do-wells are unlikely to come equipped, or have time, to do the job

• 3 months later...

After all the great advice received I finally tracked down a Sanyo HIT250 at £1/watt (left over from a commercial install with almost undetectable cosmetic damage to the frame) combined with a Steca 2012 MPPT controller rated for 100v open cct voltage. Mounted flat with pop rivets for security.With only 2x110ah leisure batteries, LED bulbs to replace the flourescents and low leccy use regime batteries have been pretty much permanently on float in daytime ever since.Can't recommend it enough.