Brackets for solar panels

JDR

Featured Posts

I'm ready to invest in at least one 80 or 100w panel, (only have 2 110ah domestics and no gadgets) and possibly fit a second panel later depending on results.I'm fairly confident about the controller/regulator side but wondered how people mount their brackets? Are there any alternatives to drilling/tapping holes in roof or having bracket permanently welded in place?

I'm ready to invest in at least one 80 or 100w panel, (only have 2 110ah domestics and no gadgets) and possibly fit a second panel later depending on results.I'm fairly confident about the controller/regulator side but wondered how people mount their brackets? Are there any alternatives to drilling/tapping holes in roof or having bracket permanently welded in place?

You could use magnets. I got some off Ebay.

Best Quality MagPads SET OF 2 85mm x 55mm x 10mm around 5.00 each

Used by taxis to hold on taxi sign, etc. Search for magpad taxi 10 for 23.99

Edited by blodger

You could use magnets. I got some off Ebay.

Best Quality MagPads SET OF 2 85mm x 55mm x 10mm around 5.00 each

Used by taxis to hold on taxi sign

I always wonder about these - would it not be rather easy for any local scallywag to nick the panel in a couple of seconds?

My handrails are solid but there are a couple of gaps I could use.Are the taxi sign magnets scroteproof? Or could you bond the magnets to the roof for extra security?I know drilling and tapping is the obvious solution but don't want to do that if a better solution exists.Thanks for the ideas so far.

I always wonder about these - would it not be rather easy for any local scallywag to nick the panel in a couple of seconds?

I used the magnets on a tin shed roof.

On the boat I have self tapped wooden battens also siliconed down that the panels connect to through a similar batten batten bolted to it with 4inch screws through to secure.

i make a few solar panel frames over a year.

there becoming more popular as time goes on it seems.

the frame i make has a U sshaped bracket on the underside, which is the attached to a bracket on the roof, bracket of owners chioce butmost are fixed on with these security type screws. a bit of a deterent i suppose.

My handrails are solid but there are a couple of gaps I could use.Are the taxi sign magnets scroteproof? Or could you bond the magnets to the roof for extra security?I know drilling and tapping is the obvious solution but don't want to do that if a better solution exists.Thanks for the ideas so far.

So - - I'd weld brackets to your handrails, , , and then I'd screw the panels to the brackets using security screws

(scrotes can still remove the security screws - - but it's a much longer job to do so.

Magnets, whilst difficult to 'pull off' by hand, are extremely easy to lever off with a jemmy or stave - - I use many magnets on our boat - - but not for anything as valuable as solar panels

I'm also planing some solar panels and will be building a timber frame for them as the array will be 2 metres x 1.6 metres and weigh well over 50kg, a bit to big to be nicked, well hopefully laugh.gif

Whilst trying o sort out our array I looked a several options. The cos of the stand off brackets for these panels to fix to roofs surfaces etc are ridiculous so I'll be making my own from alloy angle at a fraction of he cost.

I've seen some panels on boats not fixed as people like to move them around and tilt them, but have chain fixed to them to secure them to the boat. Not the optimum security but some deterrent.

Ref magnets These below from E bay are brilliant and rubber coated and very reasonably priced sold in pairs, I would challenge anyone to pull one of these of directly they stick that good. I have to lever them off sideways to remove them, really good for securing stuff on the roof though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-SUPER-STRONG-MAGNETS-TAXI-ROOF-SIGN-ROOF-BOX-LIGHT-/190552003725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item2c5dc8d48d#ht_1900wt_1154

I went with screwing them into roof.

solar%20panels%20005c.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1316159608162

Hi Cotswold man.

Very tidy job.

Can I ask how the centre knob attaches to the solar panel frame. I haven't bought the panels yet a don't know how much you can intrude into the frames, screw depth, holes etc.

And he bracket is also very neat, is this off the shelf or home made? And finally what size panel is that, looks like 80 amp?

Julian

Hi Cotswold man.

Very tidy job.

Can I ask how the centre knob attaches to the solar panel frame. I haven't bought the panels yet a don't know how much you can intrude into the frames, screw depth, holes etc.

And he bracket is also very neat, is this off the shelf or home made? And finally what size panel is that, looks like 80 amp?

Julian

John designs and machines stuff like that every day in his on board workshop and lab.

He is currently working on a new revolutionary 12V power supply for digital TV reception ariels.

;)

In order to get an air gap i put mine on bobbins that i cut out of a stainles steel pipe an inch or two in width and the same in diameter. I put a square of rubber between the roof and the bobbin with a bit of mastic just to seal it then bolted the whole lot rhough using stainless bolts and nut lock. It is never really intended to come off. It is secure but of course lays flat on the roof.

The commercial solution: http://www.controlsu...e/4?shop_param=

No connection to company in anyway whatsoever.

Little point in finding out the cost though, it'll certainly be ridiculous laugh.gif

Cotswoldsmans' solution is still the option for me so far. I asked our local metalworker about making brackets like John's from 2mm galvanised steel with 300mm length at base he quoted around a fiver each, we are friendly though so probable a good quote. he is supplying the metal as well, I will finish around the edges and drill required holes, the handwheel knobs are around 2 quid each.

Little point in finding out the cost though, it'll certainly be ridiculous laugh.gif

Cotswoldsmans' solution is still the option for me so far. I asked our local metalworker about making brackets like John's from 2mm galvanised steel with 300mm length at base he quoted around a fiver each, we are friendly though so probable a good quote. he is supplying the metal as well, I will finish around the edges and drill required holes, the handwheel knobs are around 2 quid each.

Julian sorry not been following this thread after my post. I bought my system fully fitted.