Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

Fixed speed, industrial flywheel ( wrong end for marine use).  This isn't an easy boat engine conversion and I suspect it is hand start only - most of the airfield gen sets were,  and the starting handle is shown below the rad. So you will need to find an electric start flywheel ( or have a  ring-gear fitted) or  a raised hand start set.  Either will cost more than the engine, probably.  Not a dry sump version it appears though, so no need for external oil tanks and pipery.

If the alternator were OK a single phase to 3-phase VFD might make an interesting diesel-electric drive project though.

N

On 09/08/2017 at 09:43, BEngo said:

Fixed speed, industrial flywheel ( wrong end for marine use).  This isn't an easy boat engine conversion and I suspect it is hand start only - most of the airfield gen sets were,  and the starting handle is shown below the rad. So you will need to find an electric start flywheel ( or have a  ring-gear fitted) or  a raised hand start set.  Either will cost more than the engine, probably.  Not a dry sump version it appears though, so no need for external oil tanks and pipery.

If the alternator were OK a single phase to 3-phase VFD might make an interesting diesel-electric drive project though.

N

I've bought and sold on quite a few of these, most of them from remote farms. They do occasionally turn up with electric start, one out a pumping station even had a complicated electric system of decompression for automatic start. Unfortunately my regular customer was a certain Mr. Hudson, he loved them turned down marine JP's in favour of gensets. Despite the grotty exterior they were usually in remarkably good condition and always started easily after a bit of priming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 13:38, noddyboater said:

I've bought and sold on quite a few of these, most of them from remote farms. They do occasionally turn up with electric start, one out a pumping station even had a complicated electric system of decompression for automatic start. Unfortunately my regular customer was a certain Mr. Hudson, he loved them turned down marine JP's in favour of gensets.

At last it is revealed! There was always speculation as to where Steve got his apparently inexhaustible supply of Listers from. The M.o.D. was the guess which I heard most often.

On 8/31/2017 at 08:10, archie57 said:

On 8/31/2017 at 08:43, RLWP said:

Looks like a GU engine room

Richard

Yes, I think that Large Northwich engine room now sports an HB2 instead of this particular engine, (if it's the one I think it is!)

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Industrial HA3

Fixed speed, no raised hand start, no marine g/box. 

Any other differences?

Oh, two broken/missing decompression levers.

Ah, and deficient to to the tune of one in the alternator department.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fixed speed, no raised hand start, no marine g/box. 

Any other differences?

Oh, two broken/missing decompression levers.

Ah, and deficient to to the tune of one in the alternator department.

Pressed steel gear cover, marine has a cast iron one that carries the gearbox. No engine mounts

Richard

• 2 months later...
On 19/11/2017 at 10:31, BWM said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263332094990

Industrial Jp3 for sale, Not sure about the improvised hand start though! Appears to use a water pump..

Actual engine has the appearance of minimal use, unusual drilling in the flywheel. 

There's no handstart on this engine. Genset JP3s were originally fitted with a starting handle on the crankshaft at the non flywheel end. The water pump drive is also the standard arrangement.

Just now, David Mack said:

There's no handstart on this engine. Genset JP3s were originally fitted with a starting handle on the crankshaft at the non flywheel end. The water pump drive is also the standard arrangement.

Thanks for clearing that up, it looked like a heath Robinson rig, and didn't look like it should be there! 

• 3 weeks later...

For any Ruston lovers there is a 4 cylinder 4YC on ebay, currently with 2 days to run and no bids in Reading. Reserve is £350. It says it was used only as a fire pump standby engine and appears to have an SAE1 flywheel housing. Looks in original condition. Search for Ruston 10GFR.

55 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

For any Ruston lovers there is a 4 cylinder 4YC on ebay, currently with 2 days to run and no bids in Reading. Reserve is £350. It says it was used only as a fire pump standby engine and appears to have an SAE1 flywheel housing. Looks in original condition. Search for Ruston 10GFR.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruston-diesel-Engine-4-cylinder-c-w-gear-box/332487351779?hash=item4d69ca5de3:g:pNYAAOSwonBaKWYn

The header tank is worth that if it is in good order

Richard