Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

The last time i went out on mendip it had a jp2 fitted that was before they did the restoration work a few years back as far as i know still has this engine fitted.

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/480/mendip

says FR2 and we discussed the engine just after the restoration here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39255

with no mention of a JP2.

MP.

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/480/mendip

says FR2 and we discussed the engine just after the restoration here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39255

with no mention of a JP2.

MP.

My bad, i always thought was a jp2 have to admit didnt pay much attention i just started the thing.

We have a JP3M dated 1957. Can't be the original as the boat was built in '53 though, so it may have been specially ordered from Lister as a replacement after some mishap.

As far as I am aware, JP2s ceased production 1952/53 but the JP3s went on being made for longer, possibly even into the early 60s.

As far as I am aware, JP2s ceased production 1952/53 but the JP3s went on being made for longer, possibly even into the early 60s.

The official end of production for both JP2 and 3 was 1952 according to the paperwork however that doesnt mean they stopped building new ones. They just stopped mass producing them. I have had more than one JP3 come through the workshop with matching flywheel, crank and crankcase serial numbers dating them at the late 50's. Maybe replacements for engines that have failed, wore out for an long running customer etc etc.

The official end of production for both JP2 and 3 was 1952 according to the paperwork however that doesnt mean they stopped building new ones. They just stopped mass producing them. I have had more than one JP3 come through the workshop with matching flywheel, crank and crankcase serial numbers dating them at the late 50's. Maybe replacements for engines that have failed, wore out for an long running customer etc etc.

...just as the official end of production for Gardner LWs was about 1973, but there are examples around built in the 1990s (I think that the very last 2LW was outshopped in 2000). After all, if a customer is waving money about and you've got the parts, moulds etc. in stock, it would be silly to turn him away.

...just as the official end of production for Gardner LWs was about 1973, but there are examples around built in the 1990s (I think that the very last 2LW was outshopped in 2000). After all, if a customer is waving money about and you've got the parts, moulds etc. in stock, it would be silly to turn him away.

Seem to remember a batch of 2LW's were built in the mid 90's to service an order to replace worn out ones in South African mining loco's. A few UK orders were tagged onto this. Remember viewing a 1995 high spec nb built with a new one.

Marine Dorman 4DSM and gearbox - 20hp @ 1000rpm

s-l1600.jpg

Seem to remember a batch of 2LW's were built in the mid 90's to service an order to replace worn out ones in South African mining loco's. A few UK orders were tagged onto this. Remember viewing a 1995 high spec nb built with a new one.

s-l1600.jpg

I heard that story too, but I have also heard that there never was a S. African order. Who knows?

I too have seen a n/b with one of the "new" engines; I may have got this wrong, but I think there was a plaque in the engine room stating that this was the last 2LW built.

I heard that story too, but I have also heard that there never was a S. African order. Who knows?

I too have seen a n/b with one of the "new" engines; I may have got this wrong, but I think there was a plaque in the engine room stating that this was the last 2LW built.

There wasn't an order, although there was a serious enquiry from the mines in South Africa for new engines. Sadly it couldn't be done to the delivery date and quantities required so the locos were refitted with Chinese made clones of Dorman engines (marketed as Riccardos).

The South Africans were still managing to get hold of new 2LWs during the UN embargo back in the loathsome apartheid era. We recently had a South African 2LW come through the workshop which dated from the sanctions period. A country who managed to smuggle enough nuclear material to build a working nuclear power station and, allegedly, an atomic bomb would find engine smuggling a breeze. Psssst , wanna buy a Gardner ?ninja.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...