Fishermen blocking the towpath

Featured Posts

I actually turned back from walking into the village this morning when I saw that the towpath was lined with fishermen (despite having checked the Wolverhampton AA match calendar - what more can I do?).

Last time this happened it was impossible to progress down the towpath sensible, we either had to keep stopping and waiting for the fishists to move their ridiculous poles, keep saying excuse me, and had to argue with one guy who insisted that we wait until he was ready because he'd paid to fish and we hadn't paid to walk.

My immediate reaction was that if he had a problem with what he was getting for his money he should take it up with whoever he was paying it to, but I later thought a better response would have been 'Your payment buys you the right to fish the water, not to block the towpath'. Would that have been technically/legally correct?

Eventually you will reflect on this and realise it was just down to lifes "percentage " rule. This Is best defined as

Some things in life will have a predetermined outcome if pursued and no matter of positive input by oneseld will affect said outcome.

The skill comes with experience and the ability to turn the other cheek for the sake of ones dignity and self respect

Moving on and resisting debate would demonstrate recognition of this one of lifes golden rules

I believe there are recorded cases. Nice people.

I am sure you are correct, what I was questioning was that we should allow ourselves to be intimidated by that sort of behaviour.

Eventually you will reflect on this and realise it was just down to lifes "percentage " rule. This Is best defined as

Some things in life will have a predetermined outcome if pursued and no matter of positive input by oneseld will affect said outcome.

The skill comes with experience and the ability to turn the other cheek for the sake of ones dignity and self respect

Moving on and resisting debate would demonstrate recognition of this one of lifes golden rules

Another view point may be that the bully has won, encouraging him to contuinue behaving it the same selfish manner.

Edited by David Schweizer

A couple of points here...

2) Although most fishermen look like miserable old gits, as a boater you have no idea of the tension and drama being played out in their minds during an important angling match. Each angler has little idea how well their competitors are doing, so it is a bit like running a race without being able to see any of the other runners. You just have to keep up the pace and hope you turn out at the end to have caught the most fish. This, in my view, is what leads to the anger when a boater bomes along and fecks up a potential fish-catch. You 'may', by coming along just when you did, be preventing them catching the one fish that means at the weigh-in they win the £500 prize* so YOU, the boater, are the reason they may fail to win it. No wonder we get glared at sometimes. Or often. Whatever the weather.

*Just my guess at the prize money involved.

Oh if only we all could always put ourselves in the shoes of those we encounter in such a manner the world would be much more pleasant. Well done you.

Do you use chopsticks?

arf

• Greenie 1

Had to ask some in Berko recently to pull their rods in as they were fishing from the water point and I was on my way to fill up with water. His reaction was not congenial so I explained to him the bollards to his left and right are there for boats to tie to and that big metal tap is for them to get water from, so he knows that if he chooses to fish from there again he could find the same thing happens. And that my 65ft boat takes up 65ft of bollard space. :rolleyes:

Had to ask some in Berko recently to pull their rods in as they were fishing from the water point and I was on my way to fill up with water. His reaction was not congenial so I explained to him the bollards to his left and right are there for boats to tie to and that big metal tap is for them to get water from, so he knows that if he chooses to fish from there again he could find the same thing happens. And that my 65ft boat takes up 65ft of bollard space. :rolleyes:

Ah, Berko; I had to explain to a young man fishing off the lock steps that I was going to drive my boat into the lock & then get off as it came in and come thundering up the steps flicking a rope over anything in the way so he may like to move just while i did that. He did.

poor fisherfolk of Berko - is there nowhere safe for them to fish!

As in the greater percentage that allows maggot drowners to dictate when and where boaters cam pass...

I guess you fish Stuart?

I am sure you are correct, what I was questioning was that we should allow ourselves to be intimidated by that sort of behaviour.

Another view point may be that the bully has won, encouraging him to contuinue behaving it the same selfish manner.

Yes David but what did he win? I,m sure many in the diplomatic core turn the other cheek. I,m sure the saying is "bigger fish to fry" I wouldnt loose any sleep in walking away in the knowledge that it was of no great consequence when the polar icecap is melting theres abig lump of rock out there in space with our name on it and kids all over the world are starving while i write this.

this personal battle of wits everywhere you look is so depressing that one guy who may or maynot have been having a bad day is part of my percentage rule for life

Oh if only we all could always put ourselves in the shoes of those we encounter in such a manner the world would be much more pleasant. Well done you.

arf

greenie for you oh noble one :cheers: :cheers:

As in the greater percentage that allows maggot drowners to dictate when and where boaters cam pass...

I guess you fish Stuart?

Martin You are miles away as usual and I dont even kill wasps

Is that correct? I thought they were not a public right of way, which is why BW can prescribe where cycling is permitted and not for example.

Most towpaths are not public rights of way, which is why BW can close a towpath when it is affected by a stoppage.

Cycling is not permitted on most footpaths that are public rights of way, only on bridle ways and roads used as public paths.

A couple of points here...

1) As these anglers are using canal-wide poles, it is reasonable to infer they are actually fishing for fish on the opposite side of the cut to where they are sitting, so by keeping as far away as poss from the fisherman, you were actually suppying the worst possible disturbance to the swim he was fishing in. Better to steer down the centre in my view.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense now!

Last time this happened it was impossible to progress down the towpath sensible, we either had to keep stopping and waiting for the fishists to move their ridiculous poles, keep saying excuse me, and had to argue with one guy who insisted that we wait until he was ready because he'd paid to fish and we hadn't paid to walk.

My immediate reaction was that if he had a problem with what he was getting for his money he should take it up with whoever he was paying it to, but I later thought a better response would have been 'Your payment buys you the right to fish the water, not to block the towpath'. Would that have been technically/legally correct?

I might have been tempted to say "I'll give you ten seconds, then I'm clambering over it."

But what you really need is one of these:

horsedrawn01.jpg

I once had the pleasure of passing through a fishing competition with a horse-drawn boat. I've never seem so many fishermen move so quickly!

• Greenie 1

I once had the pleasure of passing through a fishing competition with a horse-drawn boat. I've never seem so many fishermen move so quickly!

One of the highlights of my boating life was witnessing (from the safety of my boat) Mad Lizzie leading her Shetland Pony through a big fishing match, on the Oxford summit.

I was quite heartened by the good humour the anglers displayed, as chaos ensued.

On the Calder and Hebble A fisherman in a van pursued cyclist who damaged the fisherman's pole, then threw him and his bike into the canal, than took him to court for damage to the fishing gear. Why was the fisherman not prosecuted for attempted murder and assault. The cyclist said he didn't want to pursue the matter any further. Probably terrified.

You really don't want to mess with Les Pêcheurs on the French rivers and canals. I had one follow me up to a lock. I though he was going to get physical. Not speaking very much French it was a little difficult explaining that the reason we hadn't sounded our horn was because he and his mates had concealed themselves amongst the trees.

Edited by MartinClark

You really don't want to mess with Les Pêcheurs on the French rivers and canals. I had one follow me up to a lock. I though he was going to get physical. Not speaking very much French it was a little difficult explaining that the reason we hadn't sounded our horn was because he and his mates had concealed themselves amongst the trees.

It's been a while since I learnt French at school =-- - - - But I seem to recall that 'Pêcheurs' translates as p*ssheads in English?

Yes David but what did he win? I,m sure many in the diplomatic core turn the other cheek. I,m sure the saying is "bigger fish to fry" I wouldnt loose any sleep in walking away in the knowledge that it was of no great consequence when the polar icecap is melting theres abig lump of rock out there in space with our name on it and kids all over the world are starving while i write this.

this personal battle of wits everywhere you look is so depressing that one guy who may or maynot have been having a bad day is part of my percentage rule for life

That really is the biggest bit of cop out rubbish I have heard for a long while. Do you really think that not challenging unreasonable behaviour by a selfish bully is going to make any difference to third world starvation or global warming? The two issues are unrelated and condoning bad behaviour on the grounds that there are worse things to worry about is a simplistic excuse for doing nothing.

I've always got on reasonably well with fishermen and have never got into a serious argument with one, although one "took my number" and threatened to report me on the Shroppie last year........

A couple of times I have rescued gear for fishermen, one was the end of a fishing pole, the chap was very thankful and said the rod had cost him £3000! (More money than sense IMHO!)

Obviously being on a boat I don't have problems with fishermen blocking the towpath! I do cringe with some of things I have seen happening on the towpath with fishermen holding up walkers and cyclists. The majority of fishermen manage to keep the towpath clear but it is obviously beyond the wit of some, the minority that give the majority a bad name.

One of the best ones I came across though was a fisherman fishing opposite the towpath, behind a hedge between the Stourbridge 16 and Stourton. As I went past him he said "Didn't you see my rod?" To which I replied "Didn't you see my boat?" :banghead:

Or to quote

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,

And foolish Notion ...."

("To a Louse" Robert Burn

Why do fisherman always seem to set up about two foot from the Stern?

Past two times they might aswell put there box on the back deck and fish there!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

I always do, but Im lucky to be able to fish off the back of my deck and not be disturbed by boats passing by :D Lucky me! :cheers:

Argh!! I think this is just the thread I need!! Near the end of a very long day today we came up to a lock somewhere below Wolverhampton where a husband and wife were fishing off the lock landing. They had plenty of chance to move but all they did was take there rods in leaving their keep nets and all their other gubbins right where I wanted to pull in knowing that the lock would probably be against us as we'd passed a boat a couple of locks down. I'm also steering a 42ft boat pulling a 60 something foot boat! I'm not hard to miss and I would have thought quite a concern to someone as I'm heading towards their fishing gear!

I was all for plowing into their gear when Dad told me to head for the lock mouth and we'd work it out from there. It wasn't just that we'd need to get the boats on the lock landing but we'd need to be able to bring both boats to a stop without tripping over fishing crap.

My Dad said something to the guy and he said he would have moved. Bit late by the time i'm already right next to you!

The fishermen that fish near my mooring on the G&S love setting up right next to my bloomin boat this is when I've had my fire lit i'd have thought smoke coming out of a boat is a pretty clear indication that someones home. Had one guy set up a tent across the tow path right next to my boat once to. Even though theres a larger space of grass thats not right on the tow path near by. He moved after a few cyclists nearly got taken out by it.

Such a long day today I think i'm a bit over tired. :closedeyes:

On my local canals fishermen sit by the edge in fear of bikers who will take out anyone as many coming out of towns think the paths are for them only and have got violent to fishermen who leave even a bit of the path with their stuff on it. On weekend I have counted 300+ bikers pass at some spots when moored. Talk about no go area.

On my local canals fishermen sit by the edge in fear of bikers who will take out anyone as many coming out of towns think the paths are for them only and have got violent to fishermen who leave even a bit of the path with their stuff on it. On weekend I have counted 300+ bikers pass at some spots when moored. Talk about no go area.

Tie a few mooring ropes across the path at head height

Sure, Works both ways though doesn't it. Who's going o tell the fishermen?

Well at least they are not blocking the car park - not here anyway!

Snapshot2012-03-1421-26-02.jpg

Wednesday 14 March 2012 Canal lock out anger Wigan Today

A WIGAN canal has been restocked with fish - despite anglers being locked-out! Fisherman were delighted when the watchdog Environment Agency announced a scheme this week to boost their sport by pouring more than 4,000 gleaming juvenile coarse fish into the Leeds and Liverpool to revive an area blighted by pollution. But this has now turned to anger because British Waterways (BW) are refusing to unlock the gates to a fisherman’s car park on canal land near the towpath which has been the centre of a long running dispute. The national canal owning body - which became a charity earlier this year - installed the barrier following a rash of fly tipping on the car park. There were also two separate incidents of joy riders using the car park access to drive stolen cars into the canal waters. They have subsequently refused to remove the bar-barrier despite a long battle with the fishing club who paid for and built the car park on BW land in the first place more than four years ago.

Now the anglers are threatening to challenge British Waterway’s newly acquired charity commission status over the issue because it means that only fit and younger fisherman will be able to carry all their baulky equipment to the canalside. Angling Trust Wigan member John Weedon also claims the continuing closure is illegal because it breaches the terms of the Disabled Discrimination Act because it effectively bans disabled anglers from being able to access the rejuvenated canal length to enjoy their hobby. Mr Weedon, who lives nearby in Abram, says that there is no reason why BW can’t operate a key system at Dover Lock as a number of other land owners who lease fishing rights on their waters successfully do. He also points out that the Dover Lock car park is a key access point to the Plank Lane/Wigan Pier canal towpath walkway the council have spent “hundreds of thousands” creating.

Mr Weedon, 68, said: “It has annoyed everybody around here. And I have lost count of the number of times I have had my ear bent by anglers about it. It was locked a couple of years ago and there is just no way that Waterways will move on it. The car park may be on Waterways land but it was built and paid for by Ashton Centre of Northern Anglers and I think that they are being treated appallingly. Keeping this gate locked is completely against the Disabled Discrimination Act and I have worked with the DDA for more years than I can remember supplying briefings on behalf of disabled anglers and I am at a loss to know how they have got away with it for so long.”

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said that they had no jurisdiction over the management of the angler’s car park at Dover Lock. She confirmed: “Following a pollution incident in the Leeds Liverpool Canal a number of years ago, the Environment Agency has recently restocked around 4,000 fish into this section of canal. Roach and Perch have been put into this section of canal to help re-establish the fish stocks, and help to improve angling in the area.“

British Waterways had no one available to comment.

Why do fisherman always seem to set up about two foot from the Stern?

Past two times they might aswell put there box on the back deck and fish there!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

When that happens to me I start my engine and hope it moves them off...........It usualy does but not always