Single female liveaboard

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of a change of lifestyle...selling up, buying a rental property and a boat for 1 (with room for some guests from time to time).

I've only been on 3 boating holidays; maybe not a complete novice (I can steer but my rope-tying skills need honing), but fairly close!

Am I being ridiculous?

Ridiculous? Not at all. I did exactly what you are contemplating two years ago and never looked back. Your big decision is whether you live on a permanent mooring on the towpath with no services, in a marina with electricity and water on tap, or stay on the move as a 'continuous cruiser' where you are expected to move on at least every two weeks (although in practise you can often get away with much longer in low-demand areas). Or a combination of two - cruising during the nice months and hunkering down on a temporary winter mooring. That decision will dictate what facilities your boat needs most. If you are marina living then all your boat needs is a 240v mains system like a house. If you are cruising or mooring on the bank you need to be much more self-sufficient and have an adequate power generation system and big water and waste tanks. A washing machine is pretty much essential. The expensive to install, but sustainable way of making almost free power is to have solar panels and wind generators charging a large bank of batteries, which then provide mains electricity through an inverter. the cheaper solution is to use a generator only when it's needed.

There are many boaters who work and continuous cruise - it's quite feasible to move around London staying on 14-day moorings within reach of various tube stations, for instance. If you don't have any particular place to be then there's thousands of miles to explore. Enjoy.

Ridiculous? Not at all. I did exactly what you are contemplating two years ago and never looked back. Your big decision is whether you live on a permanent mooring on the towpath with no services, in a marina with electricity and water on tap, or stay on the move as a 'continuous cruiser' where you are expected to move on at least every two weeks (although in practise you can often get away with much longer in low-demand areas). Or a combination of two - cruising during the nice months and hunkering down on a temporary winter mooring. That decision will dictate what facilities your boat needs most. If you are marina living then all your boat needs is a 240v mains system like a house. If you are cruising or mooring on the bank you need to be much more self-sufficient and have an adequate power generation system and big water and waste tanks. A washing machine is pretty much essential. The expensive to install, but sustainable way of making almost free power is to have solar panels and wind generators charging a large bank of batteries, which then provide mains electricity through an inverter. the cheaper solution is to use a generator only when it's needed.

There are many boaters who work and continuous cruise - it's quite feasible to move around London staying on 14-day moorings within reach of various tube stations, for instance. If you don't have any particular place to be then there's thousands of miles to explore. Enjoy.

Where's Mayalid when you need him? :lol:

Well I agree with the London bit, however, my area of cruising was Leighton Buzzard through to Hertford and Bishops Stortford so tube wasn't always there.

You can do Watford through to Tottenham by Tube though.

• Greenie 1

Tbh tubes aren't alway the quickest way to get into London. it used to take us about 45 minutes from Leighton Buzzard/ Milton Keynes to Euston on the train, and about an hour to central London from Ricky or Uxbridge. Last train back to leighton buzzard was 2am on sun morning too :-D

Thanks for the encouragement. Staying put on a permanent mooring or in a marina doesn't do it for me, although I'm sure they're very good. I see myself as the 'continuous cruiser' type; I like the travelling lifestyle although I think for my first winter I would be well advised to 'hunker down' for a while. I like the idea of self-sufficiency and would be thinking of a boat with a log burner. Can these have back boilers connected to them?

Welcome, you might be interested in the Solo thread here

Thanks

Thanks

Is Mayalid the canal equivalent to a traffic warden?

Hi Tazsay,

Welcome to the forum.

In a nutshell do it. I am looking at getting my boat this year, but have to wait till Oct. (funding issues) If you don't do it you will always be sat wondering if it was the life for you. At least if you do it and decide the life is not for you, then there will be a fresh canvas to restart with should you chose.

Go on treat yourself

:cheers: :cheers:

Smudge

Continuous cruising and trying to attend a "place of work" can be hard as the CC regs demand that you move round a large part of the waterway system The "Work from Home" clan do well as they can moor where there is a nice view and boot the office up whenever they need. The really major unknown is the future status of CCing under the incoming CaRT regime which is the succedssor authority to British Waterways. This summer there is the issue with the olympis -they will be closing the local waterways for most of the summer, thus preventing access to large parts of the East London and River Lea waterways.

1330761523[/url]' post='834299']

I'm thinking of a change of lifestyle...selling up, buying a rental property and a boat for 1 (with room for some guests from time to time).

I've only been on 3 boating holidays; maybe not a complete novice (I can steer but my rope-tying skills need honing), but fairly close!

Am I being ridiculous?

You will regret it if you don't. My suggestion is, live and breathe boats as much as you can before you buy. Learn about your engine and basic boat maintenance. That way you won't go to pieces in the first few days if anything goes wrong. When I bought 'little progress' everything went wrong in the first week but I had done my homework so I managed without too much difficulty. As they say, nothing ventured.....nothing gained!........do it!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Staying put on a permanent mooring or in a marina doesn't do it for me, although I'm sure they're very good. I see myself as the 'continuous cruiser' type; I like the travelling lifestyle although I think for my first winter I would be well advised to 'hunker down' for a while. I like the idea of self-sufficiency and would be thinking of a boat with a log burner. Can these have back boilers connected to them?

Thanks

Thanks

Is Mayalid the canal equivalent to a traffic warden?

Er . . . Mayalld is actually a well informed, articulate, outspoken and knowledgeable individual whom regularly upsets those whom don't agree with him, often because his arguments are logical and persuasive. He doesn't tolerate lead-swingers, constant moorers and liars.

• Greenie 2

Am I being ridiculous?

Welcome :) the main thing about any change of lifestyle is to be sure its the right one for you, because living on a boat 24/7 is a lot different than w/e and holidays. Summer is usually wonderful, and winter hmm.. with plenty of planning can be just as wonderful. Its all about adapting to a smaller space, and lots of other things.( see starrys list :)

I sold my house last year and bought a boat, and I will be moving aboard in the summer. I will be marina based for a while to get my sealegs /canal legs back ;), but I have lived on a boat before so I already know the pros and cons so to speak :)

The best advice any of us can give you is to sit and think about what type of boat you will need ectera and to speak to as many boaters as you can. It is a wonderful life and you will get lots of support and advice from here and 'Solo' :)

Am I being ridiculous?

No.. not ridiculous at all.. I thought that.. had never been on a boat.. then just got some bravery from somewhere and did it.. then, asked questions "um... er... how does this work, um what is?... um... how do I ??

Go for it!! It is not a quarter as scary as you might imagine and there is always someone to help..

Do it.. you could not regret it.. Kate x

.. lol.. lots of them.. to everyone.

You will never regret it..

and as for fear... well yes.. at first.. then you relax and you realise that fear is mostly in your head.. do it.. you will never regret it.. even if it is temporary, it is an experience that you will be lucky to have. x

• Greenie 2

No.. not ridiculous at all.. I thought that.. had never been on a boat.. then just got some bravery from somewhere and did it.. then, asked questions "um... er... how does this work, um what is?... um... how do I ??

Go for it!! It is not a quarter as scary as you might imagine and there is always someone to help..

Do it.. you could not regret it.. Kate x

.. lol.. lots of them.. to everyone.

You will never regret it..

and as for fear... well yes.. at first.. then you relax and you realise that fear is mostly in your head.. do it.. you will never regret it.. even if it is temporary, it is an experience that you will be lucky to have. x

First post Kate

Have a greenie

Edited by Bazza2

um whats a greenie?

hope it's not a bogey.. :rolleyes:

Bottom right of each post, just above the 'multiquote' button, there is a green plus sign with a number next to it. Your first post has 2 so someone else has given you a greenie too. It is recorded in your profile, just below your picture, where your 'reputation, is given a number

Am I being ridiculous?

Your going to get a slightly biased view on this forum to go for it, as most are either looking, got or still interested in boats. However if your thinking of it, just do it. If it doesn't work out for you who cares, it's just another chapter in your life that if you don't do you may regret not doing. Just keep options open for rainy days, etc...

Where's Star when you need her most?

I know, we'll talk about her for a couple of minutes, then she'll pop up ;-)

You rang..? :D

(Ps, if you ever need me in an emergency, my advice to you would be, start looking in the pub nearest to my mooring and move outwards in ever increasing circles. If it's good enough for search and rescue, it's good enough for me! :lol:

• Greenie 1