Hull overplating

EdHopwood

Featured Posts

hello folks, I've recently purchased a widebeam boat built in 1988, it's a half finished project that was abandoned some years ago and she's been sitting in the canal for at least 15 years in one spot. She's now on the tidal Thames so I've been able to have a good hull inspection. It seems the outside and waterline looks good with very little pitting. However on the inside where water has sat there is a large patch 8 by 4 ft approx of rust that at it's thickest is around 6-7mm and 2 of the struts/beams have rusted considerably. Is it possible get rid of all the rust and overplate this from the inside or is it always wise to go from the outside?

(the base plate is 6mmm thick by the way)

As I'm fairly new to the world of boating i'd really appreciate any one's advice on this matter?

many thanks Ed

IIRC, rust is about ten times the thickness of the original steel. So, you've taken 0.6-0.7mm off the hull

Clean it up and paint it

Richard

Yes I would agree with this. The amount of rust will be negligable. Give it a good clean up with a wire brush or drill attachment and protect it.

Depending on how bad the pitting looks after you've got rid of the rust, if you're still worried about the baseplate thickness in that area you could get someone in to do a few ultrasonic thickness measurements from the inside.

After you've repainted it, the other thing you should ensure is that the area stays dry.

Edited by blackrose