"Well Done" to BBC Weather Forecasters ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Dear old Beeb weather forecast.

Showed a minimum of minus 3 overnight around here.

So on that basis, I didn't rush to do further winterisation on "Chalice".

The actual figure showing here at the moment is minus 10.

Well - not a lot I can do about it now, is there ?

Thank you the BBC.

Are they not guided by the met office? I know it used to be the case that they were employed by the met office, not sure now. It's -8 in sunny Surrey and I didnt hear any forecast on any medium including the web and radio that suggested it would get that low.

So, dont shoot the messenger!

Thank you the BBC.

Would it not be wise to now "rush and winterise" in case it gets any colder still?

Thank you the BBC.

I read that as " AT LEAST MINUS 3 COULD BE LESS "

Had the C/H heating on as well as the log burner last night.

sat watching (the last sammurie) on tv last night. and the boat groaning and protesting against the grip of ice.

Stuck my head out at midnight, and you could see and feel the freeze!!!

lastnight was the coldest ive experianced on the boat as Alan stated -10

col

the film was good as well

Edited by bigcol

Thank you the BBC.

The forecast that I saw on the Beeb last night said that it could be the coldest night of the winter in some parts on the East side of the country, maybe it was later than the one you saw?

Minimum here was -1, which was in line with their prediction.

The max-min digital thermometer here in Duxford shows -10.9 min last night, and it's -9.7 now.

The milk bottles on the step had little columns of frozen milk coming out with the foils perched on the top. A phenomenon I don't think I've seen since I was a kid and living in the North-East.

MP.

According to the car thermometer it was -12 at 7:30pm last night (10 miles South of Lincoln)

Went out for a smoke this morning - some very pretty trees resulting from the freezing fog but my 'mouse-tache' did freeze up.

Roll on summer

Curently showing -12, twenty miles south of Lincoln.....

apparently it was -18 overnight in some places, so glad i live in the southern part of the country!!

I thought the south east was getting it worst at present? Certainly here in the west Mids there is hardly any ice on the canal.

And strangely it seems to be less cold here than the BBC has been forecasting.

Edited by Chertsey

Minimum at Holme Lock -10.1 and good part of lock cut froze briefly. I guess someone had shut the gate paddles that are normally cracked open in this weather to stop freezing. Now all of -4.2.

Forecasts we saw said -8 here so not far off. Usually they refer to the urban temperature, so allowing 2 degrees lower for being in open country, they were spot on.

6 in our saloon when I got up despite the stove so the diesel stove went on while the boatman's revved up properly!

Are they not guided by the met office? I know it used to be the case that they were employed by the met office, not sure now. It's -8 in sunny Surrey and I didnt hear any forecast on any medium including the web and radio that suggested it would get that low.

So, dont shoot the messenger!

Yes, the BBC weather forecasts all come from the Met Office.

As I live on a boat and ride a motorbike, whether it rains or not is quite significant for me and I often find that the forecasts are wrong (i.e. it rains when there was no montion of rain in the forecast). I do realise that there is always an element of uncertainty but I wonder why the BBC don't show a % probability of rain along with the temperature, wind speed, etc. Surely they could get this information from the Met Office?

Edited by blackrose

Thank you the BBC.

They did here too,actually -4, and its -10.

Thank you the BBC.

Alan. I don't know when you were last up at Cooks, but two of the stand pipes have burst and are doing their best to refil the summit from our side. It is an awful mess and according to Ian, the chap who came out to have a look shrugged his shouldes and said his contract had 'finished'. Great. You would think at this time of water shortages that BW would make an effort to fix them! Mind you, you would also think a few of the residents might make more of an effort to lag the pipes!

My usual 'weak spot' has popped in the bathroom, even though I did lag it. Off to wicks today. Luckily no damage done.

I hope Chalice is OK based on these events and the extreme cold up there.

Yes, the BBC weather forecasts all come from the Met Office.

As I live on a boat and ride a motorbike, whether it rains or not is quite significant for me and I often find that the forecasts are wrong (i.e. it rains when there was no montion of rain in the forecast). I do realise that there is always an element of uncertainty but I wonder why the BBC don't show a % probability of rain along with the temperature, wind speed, etc. Surely they could get this information from the Met Office?

Met Check does this.

Met Check does this.

Is that a service you have to pay for? Some of those rain radars charge.

Edit: Just had a look. Metcheck doesn't seem to be working properly for tomorrow, the next 48 hours or next 7 days. I'm just getting:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0009'

Subscript out of range: '68'

/INCLUDES/GENERIC/FORECASTS/7day_generic.asp, line 21

The forecasts further ahead seem to be working ok but I wouldn't put much faith in forecasts more than about 5 days ahead anyway. Metcheck seems to give cloud % and rain in mm but not probability of rain on any given day. Anyway, if it can't give me tomorrow's forecast I'll go back to the BBC.

Edited by blackrose

Where I am on the Lincolnshire coast it got down to 5°F ( - 14.7°C ) last night. That's the coldest my weather station has ever recorded. It has now ( 11.00am ) just struggled above freezing in the sun......still well below in the shade. It's costing a fortune to heat the greenhouse I use for propagation!

P.S.

Metcheck is always going wrong. Try http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Tinally