Pre filter on Lister SR3

Leo1973

Featured Posts

I been having problems with my boat for the past 4 months, I keep getting told by various people different things. I only have on fuel filter on my Lister SR3 engine and someone told me to buy a filter and put it in before the lift pump as it keep getting clogged up. Some else has now told be it can not go before the lift pump?

The Diesel seem to have bits in it which much be clogging up the engine as it keeps cutting out or chuddering. Should I fit a filter/water separator before the lift pump to stop it clogging up? What does other Lister owner have?

Hi Leo1973

I have a Lister SR2.I fitted a filter/water seperator before the engine, directly onto the fuel tank. Using this method, the modern filter will collect anything from the tank before it enters the small filter fitted on to the engine.

I been having problems with my boat for the past 4 months, I keep getting told by various people different things. I only have on fuel filter on my Lister SR3 engine and someone told me to buy a filter and put it in before the lift pump as it keep getting clogged up. Some else has now told be it can not go before the lift pump?

The Diesel seem to have bits in it which much be clogging up the engine as it keeps cutting out or chuddering. Should I fit a filter/water separator before the lift pump to stop it clogging up? What does other Lister owner have?

Basically there are two types of "water trap" one uses a simple cone and is known as a sedimentor. The uses a filter and is known as an agglomerator and all fuel filters will agglomerate water. In fact the Lucas/CAV/Delphi versions use common parts apart from the cone and filter so you can fit either a sedimentor type water trap or an agglomerator filter or even both or a combined unit in the suction line before the lift pump. In fact I have both on my boat.

However this talk of "bits" in the filter suggests to me that either you have flexible fuel lines disintegrating or bug. If its the former you will feel the bits as small hardish pieces. If they are squishy or slimey then it is more likely to be bug. I think that your lift pump may have a strainer under the domed lid. Inspect it because it could be very illuminating.

Find out which it is.

If rubber bits then change all the flexible hoses and after many filter changes you will have cleared the tank of most of the bits.

If bug my advice would be to dose with Marine16 or Grotamar and leave to stand for a day or so. Then pump out all the water and cloudy fuel from the bottom of the tank. This may well require a length of bent copper pipe through the filler. Then keep on with the additive and annual pumping out and be prepared for several filter changes while the dead bug is cleared from the system. Having the fuel polished will do a way with the filter changes.

Hi Leo1973

I have a Lister SR2.I fitted a filter/water seperator before the engine, directly onto the fuel tank. Using this method, the modern filter will collect anything from the tank before it enters the small filter fitted on to the engine.

Hi LesR

Thanks for your message, so just to confirm you have a filter before you lift pump? and well as the engine filter.

Thanks

Leo1973

Hi LesR

Thanks for your message, so just to confirm you have a filter before you lift pump? and well as the engine filter.

Thanks

Leo1973

The engines micro-filter unit is between the lift pump and injector pump on the engine.The filter unit that you are adding goes between your fuel tank and the lift pump.

If you fit a Delphi type filter/ water trap then you have to replace the nylon drain screw with a metal one (bsc). the crud in your tank lies on the bottom so use a wet vac and a thin tube to vacuum the bottom of the tank. after fitting the filter between the tank and the lift pump clean the mesh filter in the lift pump. and replace the other filter or bypass it.

If you fit a Delphi type filter/ water trap then you have to replace the nylon drain screw with a metal one (bsc). the crud in your tank lies on the bottom so use a wet vac and a thin tube to vacuum the bottom of the tank. after fitting the filter between the tank and the lift pump clean the mesh filter in the lift pump. and replace the other filter or bypass it.

You must NOT!!! whatever you do by-pass the micro-filter,that is the injector pumps and injectors main protector from dirt ect.

Basically there are two types of "water trap" one uses a simple cone and is known as a sedimentor. The uses a filter and is known as an agglomerator and all fuel filters will agglomerate water. In fact the Lucas/CAV/Delphi versions use common parts apart from the cone and filter so you can fit either a sedimentor type water trap or an agglomerator filter or even both or a combined unit in the suction line before the lift pump. In fact I have both on my boat.

However this talk of "bits" in the filter suggests to me that either you have flexible fuel lines disintegrating or bug. If its the former you will feel the bits as small hardish pieces. If they are squishy or slimey then it is more likely to be bug. I think that your lift pump may have a strainer under the domed lid. Inspect it because it could be very illuminating.

Find out which it is.

If rubber bits then change all the flexible hoses and after many filter changes you will have cleared the tank of most of the bits.

If bug my advice would be to dose with Marine16 or Grotamar and leave to stand for a day or so. Then pump out all the water and cloudy fuel from the bottom of the tank. This may well require a length of bent copper pipe through the filler. Then keep on with the additive and annual pumping out and be prepared for several filter changes while the dead bug is cleared from the system. Having the fuel polished will do a way with the filter changes.

Thanks for your message. I don’t think it is the flexible hose as I only have about 7cm of flexible hose and it looks more like the diesel bug you talked about.

I bought a CAV 296 (7111-296) but it’s not the one with the water separator so not sure if I should fit this before the lift pump? Or buy one with water separator?

If I dose with Marine16 or Grotamar how do I get the water and cloudy fuel out of the tank as it’s a double fuel tank on a stern cruiser with no access panel and the filler is at the side and bends around?

Thanks for you message the one I have (Lucas CAV 296 (711-297)) has a nylon drain screw at the bottom and top. Do you know where can I get a replacement? and the pipe connection as I can not seem to find them.

Yes think Bizzard is right about the by-passing, thanks.

Thanks for your message. I don’t think it is the flexible hose as I only have about 7cm of flexible hose and it looks more like the diesel bug you talked about.

I bought a CAV 296 (7111-296) but it’s not the one with the water separator so not sure if I should fit this before the lift pump? Or buy one with water separator?

If I dose with Marine16 or Grotamar how do I get the water and cloudy fuel out of the tank as it’s a double fuel tank on a stern cruiser with no access panel and the filler is at the side and bends around?

Thanks for you message the one I have (Lucas CAV 296 (711-297)) has a nylon drain screw at the bottom and top. Do you know where can I get a replacement? and the pipe connection as I can not seem to find them.

Lots of Filters here and the steel plug is here

The 296 ELEMENT - is the standard agglomerator element as fitted to Lucas/CAV/Delpi agglomerator water traps. A sedimentor water trap has no filter, just a cone. Either or both will fit before the lift pump. There are other water traps available and some are combined sedimentor/agglomerators.

I think that you will find a 6 or 8mm setscrew will replace the plastic drain but check the thread BEFORE forcing it in :)

I have no idea how you could drain the water and cloudy fuel out of your tank without inspecting the boat. I have just spent £140 having my boat and tank modified to allow me to do it

You must NOT!!! whatever you do by-pass the micro-filter,that is the injector pumps and injectors main protector from dirt ect.

The delpi unit is a micro filter plus water trap.

Doesn't matter - listen to Bizzard, otherwise what protects injector pump from sediment already in lift pump.

Typically you would have a finer filter after lift pump say 2 micron.