Lion Salt Works

dor

Featured Posts

The Lion Salt works near Northwich has received a £4.96M grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The site was one of the nominees in the last TV "Restoration" series.

The site is currently really on its last legs, with the remaining buildings close to total collapse.

The Lion Salt Works is the last remaining open-pan salt works in the UK and dates back to the 19thC.

It is not far from the Anderton Lift, and will make an interesting stop for anyone travelling on the northern Trent & Mersey.

See http://www.lionsaltworkstrust.co.uk/ for more information about the site.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My dad worked at those salt works probably forty five years ago, sad to think it has been so neglected but wonderful about the lottery money. I am living on the K and A now but often go back home to Cheshire and hope to take the boat up there next spring to live again. I digress! Dad told stories of men falling into the hot vats of salt, gruesome tales indeed. It was hard, hard work. I must visit when I am next up home.

• 9 months later...

I visited the Lion Salt Works in the 1960's with my family when I was researching the Droitwich Salt Industry. It was a fascinating visit and very helpful to understand the workings

Everything was so delapidated and hanging on by a thread. The foreman told us when walking across the floors always stand on a nail as this meant there was a joist underneath.

With the Droitwich Barge Canal opening this week should I turn my attention to building a replica Salt Works?

Hope to see you all in Droitwich.

• 5 months later...

The OP goes back to 2006, so I wonder what has happened since...

Parish council hears Lion Salt Works update

8:00am Saturday 19th February 2011 Northwich Guardian

A MUCH-ANTICIPATED update on the Lion Salt Works restoration project has been revealed to Wincham Parish Council. Jason Doherty, senior manager for culture and tourism at Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWAC), visited the parish council on February 16, and admitted that the Marston site, is in ‘a bit of a shambles’. He said that he wanted to reassure residents just what would be happening on-site. The salt works was taken into public ownership after it closed in 1986. But funding of £5million from the Heritage Lottery Fund Grant and £3million of CWAC money has spearheaded a restoration drive. “What we are talking about here is an £8million investment as a ball park figure,” said Mr Doherty. “And what we do want to do is reassure people this will happen. Although the works might look ugly and derelict in historical terms it is very important. That kind of salt process is very important for this area. We hope it will create an attraction that actually adds to the locality. It is something local people can use and enjoy.” Mr Doherty said that the work on the Grade II listed site would start in early summer this year, and should be fully operational by the summer or autumn of 2013. “it will be seasonal in its operation,” he added, with two members of staff needed.

He went on to outline the features of the site, which will include a green area with a butterfly and herb garden, a museum contained within the Red Lion Inn detailing the history of salt, an educational space on the second floor and a separate community room. There will be an interactive, physical element to the experience, with live displays of the salt-making process and an emotional experience including photographs. “The last part of the experience is an opportunity to look at some parts of the site which wouldn’t be restored,” Mr Doherty added “People can then look through into the ruins of the industry - after 25 years of no use it is a relic.” Mr Doherty was quick to reassure ward councillor Norman Wright that the community room would not be used for discos, and instead for community events which would be complimentary to the site. Clr Wright also raised the issue of 24 hour boat moorings to keep to keep the level of the congestion in the canal down. CWAC clr Malcolm Byram raised questions about subsidence and Mr Doherty said further investigation would be needed, but mitigation plans would be put in place. Heather Holman, Wincham parish councillor, added: “I find it all very exciting.”

Visit the project website at lionsaltworks.org. Here

The Lion Salt works near Northwich has received a £4.96M grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The site was one of the nominees in the last TV "Restoration" series.

The site is currently really on its last legs, with the remaining buildings close to total collapse.

The Lion Salt Works is the last remaining open-pan salt works in the UK and dates back to the 19thC.

It is not far from the Anderton Lift, and will make an interesting stop for anyone travelling on the northern Trent & Mersey.

See http://www.lionsaltworkstrust.co.uk/ for more information about the site.

Another interesting site is the old brick works between Calveley and the Bunbury staircase on the Shroppie, that apparently can only be seen from the canal in the winter, when there's no foliage surrounding it.

Mike

Bugger I thought it was a new post! Can't get used to this new layout i'm afraid :)

Doh, that makes two of us! :wacko:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

• 1 year later...

Latest ...

Lion Salt Works renovation moves closer

29 Feb 2012, Place Northwest

pnw__1330537127_Lion_Salt_Works_art.jpg

Cheshire West & Chester Council has appointed Wates Construction for the £8m restoration of the historic Lion Salt Works in Marston near Northwich.

Wates will work with restoration contractors William Anelay, which has already carried out initial enabling works to make the site safe and ensure each of the elements are recorded. Subject to planning consent, restoration of the 19th Century open pan salt works will begin in April. John Shannon, business unit director of Wates Construction in the North West, said: "We are delighted to have been chosen as partners on this restoration project, which will see us working within Marston's community. We have extensive experience in heritage refurbishment and are committed to ensuring the redevelopment of this Scheduled Ancient Monument will be led with the utmost care and commitment." Cllr Stuart Parker, member for culture and recreation, said: "With a track record spanning 40 years in the restoration of cultural and heritage buildings, we are confident that Wates brings the expertise a project of this sensitivity demands.

Industrial archaeologist Chris Hewitson will be responsible for monitoring, investigating and recording the buildings and finds unearthed during excavations. The salt works is expected to re-open in spring 2014 as a 'living museum', providing a unique insight into a period in history when Cheshire produced 86% of the nation's salt. Visitors will be able to explore the restored buildings, discover how the salt works operated and find out how the industry impacted upon Cheshire's people, economy and landscape. The project is being funded by a £5m Heritage Lottery Fund grant and a £3m contribution from the council.

Lion Salt Works was established in 1894 by the Thompson family and remained in their ownership through five generations. Salt was produced by evaporating brine over an open fire in large lead pans. It ceased trading in 1986 and was purchased by the former Vale Royal Borough Council. A Scheduled Ancient Monument, it is the last open pan salt works in the UK and one of only three remaining in the world.

The planning application is due to be considered by the council's planning committee on 20 March.

This is SIX YEARS from the original post announcing the Lottery Grant, and it's only just reached the planning stage! It's not only the wheels of Justice that grind exceeding slow. What else has fallen down in the meantime? And is the Salt Barge in fact open now?

This is SIX YEARS from the original post announcing the Lottery Grant, and it's only just reached the planning stage! It's not only the wheels of Justice that grind exceeding slow. What else has fallen down in the meantime? And is the Salt Barge in fact open now?

Maybe as part of the scheme the 'Salt Barge' should be restored as the New Inn, which is how I remember it, a proper basic pub.

Tim

Salt Barge was open in the summer and doing a roaring trade and the beer from the Tatton brewery was in excellent condition, which unfortunately is more than can be said for the Salt Works. Think it has got past the restoration stage now and is entering the rebuild and replicate stage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats good news.

Has The Salt Barge been reopened was closed last time I was there.

I visited the Lion Salt Works when it was open in September 1998 when on a hireboat from Middlewich. The museum then provided a valuable insight into how these salt pans were used and the industry operated. I moored up there again in September 2010, this time on an Anderton Hire Boat, the works were then sadly derelict. It would be a valuable heritage asset to the canal for this museum to be reopened. May be, it might be useful to make more of the canal diversion north of this point, where BW changed the route of the Trent & Mersey Canal a decision caused through serious subsidence occasioned by the salt workings.

Ray Shill

Edited by Heartland