Buying a new boat

grannyannie1

Featured Posts

We are looking at a boat built by Burscough Boats. Has anyone any experience of their boats and workmanship please?

We met them at Crick last year...2010

When I asked them if they adhered to BMF contract terms as to staged payments the response was

...eh...

When I asked them if they adhered to BMF contract terms as to staged payments the response was

...eh...

Perhaps they didn't hear the question clearly. "eh" may well have been "pardon could you repeat the question"

Never mind though you've probably dammed them with your briefest of replies for the OP to go elsewhere.

OP - we did look at them for our newbuild but in the end went elsewhere for no other reason than we were impressed with the satisfied customer feedback and after sales care that our builder had with them. Good luck with whoever you decide upon.

I am sure the general comment would be that you need to check the other boat builders as well.Never pay up front but in stages for work done and make sure you have title to the work done in case the company goes bust.Visit the build often during the build and also see if you can talk to previous owners before you agree to the build.You might find it useful to youse the search button on this page and look at the other threads to do with new having a new boat built.

Perhaps they didn't hear the question clearly. "eh" may well have been "pardon could you repeat the question"

Never mind though you've probably dammed them with your briefest of replies for the OP to go elsewhere.

OP - we did look at them for our newbuild but in the end went elsewhere for no other reason than we were impressed with the satisfied customer feedback and after sales care that our builder had with them. Good luck with whoever you decide upon.

No - but are we only supposed to respond to the OP's question if we can only say 'Oh yes they are fab'

it was clear the guy I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about - and I feel it is important that anybody going to them needs to be aware of this and double clarifies with them what if any arrangements they have in place to protect their customers money.

Enough people have lost money this way.

..make sense edit...

Edited by MJG

it was clear the guy I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about - and I feel it is important that anybody going to them needs to be aware of this and double clarifies with them what if any arrangements they have in place to protect their customers money.

That would have been a bit more helpful if added to your original post.

Suprised though you got this response as they confirmed that they used the standard contract when I discussed it with them. That said I never saw it as the negotiations didn't get that far.

That would have been a bit more helpful if added to your original post.

Suprised though you got this response as they confirmed that they used the standard contract when I discussed it with them. That said I never saw it as the negotiations didn't get that far.

I posted the abridged version for succinctness, the main point was to get the OP to be careful in this respect.

I can only recount what the response was - I have no reason to mislead or relay factually incorrect information, I actually quite liked the boat they had at Crick in 2010.

Where do they build these boats?

From their web site-

Burscough Boat Company

Swordfish Business Park

Burscough, Lancashire,

L40 8JW

United Kingdom

01704 891675

BOOTHE15_BIG.jpg

Think my lads mate works there , sure its only a recent"couple years" set up firm , may have heard talk about the history they claim to have in boat building ,the chandlery at burscough wharf may have something to do with the builder.

...eh...

We're all deaf in Lancashire; it is years of working in foundries and mills tha knows.

Indeed, but since you were talking to a part-time welder that's not surprising. :P

That is a possibility, when I visited the Crick show a few years ago, I asked someone that was part of a showboat exibiter a few questions, the replies were not very reassuring, and on my question what his function was in this company, he worked out to only be a member of the family, who was at the show to help them out for the w.e.

Peter.

That is a possibility, when I visited the Crick show a few years ago, I asked someone that was part of a showboat exibiter a few questions, the replies were not very reassuring, and on my question what his function was in this company, he worked out to only be a member of the family, who was at the show to help them out for the w.e.

Peter.

If so the correct answer to my query would have been - 'hang on a minute I'll get you to speak to someone who will know'

If so the correct answer to my query would have been - 'hang on a minute I'll get you to speak to someone who will know'

As a matter of fact, I asked myself if there was someone able to give me a real answer, of course there was, but they were all so busy with an endless stream of visiters on their boats that it wasn't really the right moment.

I think that those shows are good to get a first impression of the boats and their builders, after which you should visit their yard to see for yourself what they are like in real life, and maybe see some boats in the process of being built, to get a better opinion.

Peter.

Hi, yes had a look at one of their Marlin widebeams that came into the Marina in the summer, the owner's bought it as a cancelled order what I believe and to be honest it was a very high quality boat and a bargin price, was quite impressed they seam very good value for the money. people might associate them with Collingwood/liverpool boat builders but for the price the owners paid for their 57x10 widebeam that I saw it was a great deal just as much wow factor that I see on boats costing alot more.

Think my lads mate works there , sure its only a recent"couple years" set up firm , may have heard talk about the history they claim to have in boat building ,the chandlery at burscough wharf may have something to do with the builder.

You could well be right. On Friday a new boat was put in the water here at Rufford the sign writing was for The Shop in Burcough and is going to be used as a hire boat. I must say the boat looked very nice as it moored infront of me for a couple of hours before making it's way up the Arm to Burscough.

Nice looking boats, wonder how flexible they are? (the company, not the boat :rolleyes: )

http://www.burscoughboatcompany.co.uk/default.html

My intention was to have a new build from Holland, primarily because the quality of build is exceptionaly good and I have some good contacts in the dutch boat/ship building business. However I'm always willing to look closer to home if my specific needs can be catered for.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this company to attention :)

Albert.