CRT Council

mayalld

Featured Posts

So, having thrown my hat into the ring, it is time to actually submit my nomination.

I have had a few offers of nomination in public and by PM already, but in fairness to potential sponsors, I haven't accepted any of those nominations in advance of publishing my election statement.

So, here is my 145 words. It is no literary masterpiece, but it says at least some of what I want to say, and scrapes in under the 150 word limit;

Other candidates may be nominated with the support of associations; I believe we are best served by individuals, not representatives of associations. Too often the voice of the many boaters who aren't members of anything goes unheard.

CRT must manage waterways for the benefit of all boaters, balancing the needs of leisure and residential, moored and cruising, unswayed by those seeking to change things only for their own benefit, and to the detriment of others. It must welcome other users, but not at the expense of boating users.

In over ten years of boating, I feel that I have amassed sufficient experience to understand some of what boaters want, and more important to understand what I don't yet know.

I will be accessible, via the internet, listening to boaters views, and will use my voice to represent the prevailing view ahead of my own views.

Could I ask that anybody who would be willing to sponsor my nomination sends me a PM, and I'll let them have the necessary details for the form. Provided I get 10 sponsors, I will submit my nomination.

Thanks for that David looks good to me.

CRT must manage waterways for the benefit of all boaters, balancing the needs of leisure and residential, moored and cruising, unswayed by those seeking to change things only for their own benefit, and to the detriment of others. It must welcome other users, but not at the expense of boating users.

That bit sounds good to me

So, having thrown my hat into the ring, it is time to actually submit my nomination.

I have had a few offers of nomination in public and by PM already, but in fairness to potential sponsors, I haven't accepted any of those nominations in advance of publishing my election statement.

So, here is my 145 words. It is no literary masterpiece, but it says at least some of what I want to say, and scrapes in under the 150 word limit;

and will use my voice to represent the prevailing view ahead of my own views.

Could I ask that anybody who would be willing to sponsor my nomination sends me a PM, and I'll let them have the necessary details for the form. Provided I get 10 sponsors, I will submit my nomination.

Are you capable of keeping this promise , i have always found that you will stick to and defend your own views and other peoples views will do nothing to change what you think , mayall putting forward any view that he himself is not in full agreement with , cant see it myself .

• Greenie 1

Are you capable of keeping this promise , i have always found that you will stick to and defend your own views and other peoples views will do nothing to change what you think , mayall putting forward any view that he himself is not in full agreement with , cant see it myself .

Yes.

I wouldn't make a promise that I couldn't keep.

Certainly you will have seen that I will argue vigorously for my views here. In a place such as this where I represent only myself, it is natural that I would do so, as it fully reflects the views of my constituency!

In a situation where I am representing boaters, I will represent what their views are. I may well find myself advocating one position here, and a diametrically opposed position to CRT Council, but that is the nature of representing people.

I do it all the time in work meetings.

• Greenie 2

I probably also have a reputation for advancing my own view somewhat vigorously, but I am also capable of representing a collective view when that is what the circumstances demand. I am confident that Dave posseses this abilty, and he will advance the collective view with equal vigour.

• Greenie 1

In a situation where I am representing boaters, I will represent what their views are. I may well find myself advocating one position here, and a diametrically opposed position to CRT Council, but that is the nature of representing people.

Including those you misname "continuous moorers"?

What term would you use to describe these boaters on the council?

....and will use my voice to represent the prevailing view ahead of my own views.

Hmm.

If MPs voted for what their constituents wanted, they'd bring back hanging and all sorts of unsavoury things.

I prefer to vote for a good man who will do what he thinks is right, whatever the herd might want.

In my opinion, you have shown yourself to be both devious and malicious when it comes to the matter of your personal bête noire, the continuous cruiser whose commitments limit his cruising range (and who usually can't afford a paid mooring). You therefore don't pass muster as "a good man", so you won't receive my vote.

Which is a pity, because you are well-informed and capable, and in other respects would probably be an excellent choice. Announce that you will abstain on matters relating to continuous cruising and I might well adopt a different stance.

Edited by sebrof

Including those you misname "continuous moorers"?

What term would you use to describe these boaters on the council?

If it became apparent that the prevailing view among boaters was that there should be a change in the rules that would legitimise certain behaviours that currently fall into the "Continuous Moorers" description, then I would support that view to the best of my ability. If it became apparent that the prevailing view among boaters was that we should just let Continuous Moorers do as they please, then I rather suspect that the results for the waterways would be such that I would disqualify myself from continuing to serve, as I would no longer own a boat.

I would use the term continuous moorers, as it is a readily understood term.

Hmm.

If MPs voted for what their constituents wanted, they'd bring back hanging and all sorts of unsavoury things.

I prefer to vote for a good man who will do what he thinks is right, whatever the herd might want.

In my opinion, you have shown yourself to be both devious and malicious when it comes to the matter of your personal bête noire, the continuous cruiser whose commitments limit his cruising range (and who usually can't afford a paid mooring). You therefore don't pass muster as "a good man", so you won't receive my vote.

Which is a pity, because you are well-informed and capable, and in other respects would probably be an excellent choice. Announce that you will abstain on matters relating to continuous cruising and I might well adopt a different stance.

No, I won't abstain, and most certainly won't do so in an attempt to buy your vote.

If you think that being prepared to represent the views of the majority rather than seeking to promote my own agenda means that I don't pass muster, then so be it.

As to your comments about my personal bête noire. I am ready to listen to ideas that would allow accomodations for those in difficulty, but I don't personally see that "Oh, you can't afford a mooring, well just do what you want, and ignore the rules that apply to those without moorings then" passes muster.

... the continuous cruiser whose commitments limit his cruising range (and who usually can't afford a paid mooring).

Such a person isn't a continuous cruiser, is he? He's a continuous moorer. A continuous cruiser, umm, cruises. Continuously. (Apart from Winter, stoppages and of course 14 day stopovers where allowed.)

Anyway, Dave, sorry for going :smiley_offtopic:

Tony

Hmm.

we are not voting for anyone that will have power to change things, this council will only be putting forward views and the 4 boater representative will be in a very small minority so in my opinion we need people who can put forward a good argument in order to protect boaters interests.

If you really think that the representatives from cycling, fishing, walking etc are going to be even in the slightest bit interested in CCers V. CMers then I think you have completly the wrong idea of the power and make up of this council. The make up of this council shows that the majority of its members will be more interested in Towpaths etc.than anything to do with what actually happens on the water.

• Greenie 2

I would have reservations about voting in people belonging to Associations if they think that their Association is their focus group, and think the first paragraph of your statement covers that. The Boating Council members strength will be as a group, at council meetings.

I'm sure, away from council meetings, there will be disagreements. The constraints of reality will bear down on the group and I hope they will be given backing, as a group. Once the group has been elected I hope they will stick together at Council meetings, speaking on behalf of the boating community. As a whole, the Council will have some common ground and some specific interests.

I don't have to worry about taking part, but it is certainly an interesting opportunity.

we are not voting for anyone that will have power to change things, this council will only be putting forward views and the 4 boater representative will be in a very small minority so in my opinion we need people who can put forward a good argument in order to protect boaters interests.

If you really think that the representatives from cycling, fishing, walking etc are going to be even in the slightest bit interested in CCers V. CMers then I think you have completly the wrong idea of the power and make up of this council. The make up of this council shows that the majority of its members will be more interested in Towpaths etc.than anything to do with what actually happens on the water.

Exactly so, I agree. Which is why it is so important that the Boater members can forcefully put the interests of BOATERS to a group that will have other agendas. And that in turn to influence the Trustees who will make the actual decisions.

Brian

Is quite simply extracting the urine and blatantly NOT a continuous cruiser.........

But of course it is.

It is also a fairly blatant attempt to de-rail any sensible discussion of what I might do on the Council into an argument about CMers.

I shan't be playing that game with them!

I will, of course answer sensible questions :-)

But of course it is.

It is also a fairly blatant attempt to de-rail any sensible discussion of what I might do on the Council into an argument about CMers.

Bye the way you have a pm.

Am afraid you won't get my vote, even if your the only one to go up for it. I consider you devious, self righteous and arrogant, but what most concerns me, is the fact that you get right up my nose, and I suspect you would get up the noses of other council members as well. Sorry to be blunt with my honesty :)

• Greenie 1

But of course it is.

So any question that you don't like is an "attempt to de-rail any sensible discussion"?

This to my mind is exactly why you are unsuitable. Your inability to think outside your particular box makes you unlikely to be capable of representing all boaters.

Whereas we may agree on some boaters who are outside the pale, we disagree fundamentally on where that line is drawn. So how can you possible represent me?

I have no doubt whatsoever you would make a very good job of representing of a particular subset of leisure boaters but that is not the job on offer.

I apologise if I have derailed your 'sensible' discussion with this comment.

(or perhaps that should be 'I apologise for interrupting your cosy Daily Mayall love in')

Edited by Chris Pink

Am afraid you won't get my vote, even if your the only one to go up for it. I consider you devious, self righteous and arrogant, but what most concerns me, is the fact that you get right up my nose, and I suspect you would get up the noses of other council members as well. Sorry to be blunt with my honesty :)

I wasn't actually expecting your vote.

So any question that you don't like is an "attempt to de-rail any sensible discussion"?

This to my mind is exactly why you are unsuitable. Your inability to think outside your particular box makes you unlikely to be capable of representing all boaters.

Whereas we may agree on some boaters who are outside the pale, we disagree fundamentally on where that line is drawn. So how can you possible represent me?

Not at all, which is why I answered the question :-)

However, I rather think that the question is now fully answered, so, unless you wish to start a new thread to discuss it further, there are probably other topics that people would wish to know my position on.

I think you are right that we differ fundamentally as to where the line is to drawn. It is my view that the line should be drawn so as to attempt to accomodate the needs of all boaters. It appears to me that you want it to be drawn so as to suit a particular subset of boaters, without regard to the adverse effects on other boaters.

But of course it is.

Actually, Mr Mayall, it wasn't. The last thing I want to do is to get you cantering off on your hobby-horse again. I was merely making the point that you are basically a one-trick pony, with an inability to see shades of grey, and a tendency to argue dishonestly.

Apart from that, you're great!

Actually, Mr Mayall, it wasn't. The last thing I want to do is to get you cantering off on your hobby-horse again. I was merely making the point that you are basically a one-trick pony, with an inability to see shades of grey, and a tendency to argue dishonestly.

Apart from that, you're great!

Well, clearly you will have your views on me that I'm not going to change, but that is as it is.

Not sure why you believe that I argue dishonestly though.

I prefer to abide by the adage "Anyone who wishes to stand for election should be automatically disqualified from doing so".

Absolutely.

It would probably be better to pull names out of a hat.

But as that isn't what they are doing, I shall try not to let absolutely no power corrupt me.

But think how well informed the other members will be after Mr. Mayall has put them all right, possibly in Latin.