Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

When buying a boat privately what safeguards/procedures are there to ensure you're not buying a stolen boat or one with outstanding finance on it. Is there anything like a central register or a website like you have for vehicles

Usually to get finance secured on a boat it has to be Lloyds registered, and few narrowboats are. Otherwise boats are normally bought with unsecured personal loans. So if you buy a boat and the vendor has not paid off the loan, its his problem, not yours.

Hi

My name's Piers, and I'm hoping to buy my first boat this summer. I lived on a friends 32ft narrowboat over a (cold) winter several years ago, and always intended to do it properly some time - and that time is now! I'm a Londoner, and wanting to stay in this amazing/miserable (delete according to taste) city for the time being.

I was lucky enough to be on a mooring in Islington - which is not going to happen again! so right now I am thinking about my mooring options. I am not ruling out continuous cruising - during the warmer months, at least; I suspect I might want to take up a winter mooring, though.

Since I am considering a canal boat of some sort, but also looking at Dutch barges - which I believe live on the river, and cannot go up the canals, maybe I'll get kicked off here before too long! (Having said that, I seem to remember one moored at Wenlock Basin in N1 on the Grand Union, in which case I'm wondering if that understanding I have is wrong - but perhaps it was lowered in by crane. As well as the draft issue, I suspect some of the tunnels on the GUC would be a bit tight for barges).

I would be very happy to hear from anyone who wants to point me in the right direction. I feel as though I have some idea of what boat life is like, including some things to avoid (like ripping out the wood burner and replacing it with some half arsed heating system - like my friend had done. Fun when the canal froze over at the same time as the boiler broke!)

All the best

P

Welcome Piers, your cold winter will have given you an insight into life aboard.

When you look for a boat do try to be practical, as you have said a Dutch Barge may not be the way to go. We all have ideas as to the perfect boat but post links to any you have your eye on and we will all play Devil's advocate.

Phil

Hi Cuthound!

We saw the Lyneal Trust boat when we went past their wharf. It looked like a well thought out adaption, but more suited to a party than a couple!

I was curious about more modest boats that could comfortably be crewed single handedly. Especially I was wondering if anyone has tried a tracked hoist rather than a lift. I have a few ideas!

Thanks for the information though.

Have a look at http://www.willowwren.co.uk/boats.htmthey have a Narrowboat converted for the disable called http://www.willowwren.co.uk/boats.htm A friend of mine hired it last year, his wife had not been boating for about 6 years and found it great, so much so they have booked again this year.

post-261-0-40620500-1467468963_thumb.jpg

Hello ☺

Am so new to boating that I get aboard in 2 weeks and am so excited with some proper OMFG moments as I went on my first ever narrowboat on Saturday and called and put an offer in on the Sunday!!!!!

My friend has a widebeam I've been on a few times and my wonderful parents are helping me bring her home as Dad's been a bit of a helmsman previously but what a massive learning curve I have coming to smack me right in the face ? but I absolutely can't wait lol

I have done several months of reading and watching YouTube videos but have had many offers of help and assistance from friends, friends of friends, colleagues and just hear time and again of how nice and friendly the community I'm joining is ☺

So if you see some not-getting-any-younger, (48 with 49 breathing down my neck and should be old enough to know better ?) scratching her head and looking confused, say hello as I'm sure I'll be at a loss for some reason or another ??

Welcome to the forum, and to your new way of life.

Enjoy it and don't be afraid to ask questions or use the forums search facilities.

Between them they will provide answers to everything you need to know about boats and a whole lot more!

Thanks peeps, I do feel we come already and when I asked my mum if I was being stupid or rash, her response "Did I not say years ago that you'd suit life on the cut? Must have dreamt it then!" and I think they are almost as excited as I am

Hi all

My name is jay

Great forum . Every search for info I put into google ends up here , Im starting my journey of living afloat and am researching and researching . I'm going to get a grp cruiser to start with as I have a young family so will begin with weekends and small trips. So living full time on a boat is a few years off yet . And by then il of got a narrow boat . Well that's the plan . It's a a lot to get head round from engines to power sources to heating not to mention the right moorings .

Welcome Jay,

Hope everything goes well and you soon find your first boat.

You are right, there is a lot to get your head around, but it all sinks in eventually, epically if you do as much as you feel capable of yourself.

Welcome jay/life goes on and piers, what phil says is so true and their are many helpfull people on here.

I would of been lost without their help.

Happy boating.

Edited by Greylady2

Welcome Life Goes On, do do realise you have just bought into a whole heap of fun. I must add that it's not all beer and skittles but life is like that anywhere, the difference is this life is a whole heap better.

Phil

If you can play skittles...someone stole your furniture :o)

Hello all, I'm Chris and as most people on this post, myself and my partner Nikki are looking into buying a narrow/canal boat.

We will be buying a "in need of repair" vessel as ALL of the work will be done by ourselves!

Anyway, is there a do's and don't's list to look at anywhere or anyone who can point out some things to check for that may not be obvious to people with zero experience in this field?

As we don't want to rush into buying a "basket case"

ANY help will be gratefully received and we look forward to any input on the matter!

We have LOTS of questions regarding regulations and legislation.

Many MANY thanks in advance

Chris & Nikki

Hi Peter and thanks for your reply.

I am off to Boroughbridge tomorrow to view a boat for sale. I live in North Nottinghamshire...not a million miles from Rotherham..and wonder if I might meet you sometime over a pint and "pick your brain" regarding potential pitfalls to be aware of with installing a Rayburn?

I hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike just found your post on the thread send me a PM if you want to talk Rayburns

Cheers Peter

Hello Chris and Nikki..lots of advice on here

Visit lots of boats..get a feel for what you want then put up some on here and wait for all the comments.

I used google to read up all I could about pros and cons of new v second hand rip out and then ask questions and used search engine. Theres lots of info already on here but if u cannot find just ask.

Patty

Hi Chris & Nikki

Once you've found your dreamboat, ask on here for a good surveyor. DO NOT LET THE BROKERAGE BOOK ONE FOR YOU! Make sure the survey is in YOUR name! Don't ask how we know these things! ?

Check out the first time buying a page on our blog.

Good luck, hope you find heaven afloat! ?

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself! My names Sam and I'm a long time reader, but first time poster.

I work as an Archaeologist in Oxford, and have been saving up for a canal boat over the last couple of years (by living in my van).

Over the next few weeks me and my partner are planning to intensify our searching, and will be looking to spend between 25-30k on a 55+ foot boat.

Fingers crossed!

Welcome Sam.

You are a good example of what is so vibrant about the canals these days. I hope that you enjoy your boating as much as we do. Lot of good advice to new boaters and potential ones too.

When you have found something that takes your fancy post a link up here and lots of people will comment and tell you what to look out for. Be prepared for the cost of looking. Travelling to see the boat, having a full survey done (You own, not one that the boatyard recommends) If you don't know a surveyor ask on here and someone will recommend a reliable one in your area.

All the best. "The only stupid question is the one not asked."

I may as well confess although you may have worked it out by now. I really, really need to have a boat. I need it more than i need a hug by Brian Blessed.

Ordered a skip for next week where i will be dumping all the stuff i am not bringing with me and the rest is getting picked up by a charity shop.

I will be out of this place by the end of August, on my boat in time for my birthday.

I may as well confess although you may have worked it out by now. I really, really need to have a boat. I need it more than i need a hug by Brian Blessed.

Ordered a skip for next week where i will be dumping all the stuff i am not bringing with me and the rest is getting picked up by a charity shop.

I will be out of this place by the end of August, on my boat in time for my birthday.

I may come skip scrounging :)