food safe hose not cassette

boatboss

Featured Posts

can anyone help please

Hi

My self and many more on here have never felt the need for a food safe hose and nobody's died.

Plastic hose is what feeds many taps these days and the state of cold water pipes inside and out side the house, I would suggest, is far from food safe quality.

IMHO the main function you need from an hose is that it doesn't kink.

Alex

We and most other boaters have used any old hosepipe to fill the water tanks over the years....nobody died.

Edited, crap spellimg

Years and years ago I was slighlty concerned about this issue and spoke to people at Hozelock about it. They reckoned that if the hose was well flushed before it was first used to get rid of the extrusion oil that there wouldn't be a problem. They confirmed, what we already knew, that people had been using standard garden hoses for filling their tanks for years with no known after-effect. I have always used standard hose since the early 90s and have yet to suffer any effects that I can link to the hoses. It is always a good idea to flush them through before putting the nozzle into the tank, of course, but that is to get rid of the stale and possibly contaminated water first.

Roger

Hi

My self and many more on here have never felt the need for a food safe hose and nobody's died.

Plastic hose is what feeds many taps these days and the state of cold water pipes inside and out side the house, I would suggest, is far from food safe quality.

IMHO the main function you need from an hose is that it doesn't kink.

Alex

you can rely on alex he's hundreds of years old........alex is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to all things boaty.I ring him up when im in doubt...and problem solved..

you can rely on alex he's hundreds of years old........alex is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to all things boaty.I ring him up when im in doubt...and problem solved..

Snivering git ----------------------- Spike Milligan ---- about Prince Charles.cheers.gif

Alex

There is no contaminating chemicals going to come through a normal pvc garden hose, you flush it through every time anyway before you use it. food grade hose is totally not necessary. Is plastic plumbing pipe food grade ? nope.

Not sure if that's true. Where did you get that information from?

BS6920 Water Quality Testing: Specifies requirements for the suitability of non-metallic products, with regard to their effect on the quality of water intended for human consumption.

http://hep2o.wavin.com/Hep2o/Standards_and_Approvals.html

Perhaps some normal PCV garden hoses also meet BS6920, but I'm sure many would not, as carrying water for human consumption isn't really their primary function.

Edited by blackrose

I got food quality hose for my boat. I wish I didn't it is a right royal pain in the ....

It is much thicker than normal because it has two or three layers to it and is difficult to roll around the trolley thing. I also had to cut a long length of it off as it wouldn't all fit. Despite me buying both from the same place and asking them to confirm that it would fit.

Regardless of using "food grade" hose or not it is always good practice to flush the hose out before you use it to fill your water tank because you just don't know what has crawled in since you last used it.

Also standing water in any sort of hose on a warm summer's day (if ever we get one) is a bug's idea of a breeding heaven...

I got food quality hose for my boat. I wish I didn't it is a right royal pain in the ....

It is much thicker than normal because it has two or three layers to it and is difficult to roll around the trolley thing. I also had to cut a long length of it off as it wouldn't all fit. Despite me buying both from the same place and asking them to confirm that it would fit.

I'm sure you can buy an ordinary garden hose on a reel for about 20 quid.

Flat food grade hoses are easier to deal with than the the thick stuff, although I know there are lots of boaters who don't like them because they have problems getting them back on the reel for some reason.

Edited by blackrose

Still alive here too -

To the OP - be aware the 'proper' blue non cassette stuff is a bloody nightmare to handle in anything other than very hot or warm weather.

If I could remember which skip I'd chucked mine in I could direct you to where there is some for free....

Sometimes I sit here and have to laugh at some of the posts on here. What is the op thinking about posting a question like that ??

What does he think will happen to him if he fills his water tank up with water used from his " garden hose " . A hose is a bloody hose it doesn't matter if it's red blue or pink with spots on.

As onionbargee said flush it through for a minute then use it, don't make life so complicated.

Flat food grade hoses are easier to deal with than the the thick stuff, although I know there are lots of boaters who don't like them because they have problems getting them back on the reel for some reason.

I use a flat f/g hose and have no problem reeling it in. Much easier to store too. Only problem when filling up is getting cyclists to lift their bikes over it. Makes for some interesting conversations.

Sometimes I sit here and have to laugh at some of the posts on here. What is the op thinking about posting a question like that ??

What does he think will happen to him if he fills his water tank up with water used from his " garden hose " . A hose is a bloody hose it doesn't matter if it's red blue or pink with spots on.

As onionbargee said flush it through for a minute then use it, don't make life so complicated.

Boredom i think,i avoid them,wasting my Gorillabites ''data''.Like i bought a box of matches today.there was supposed to be 50 in it and when i counted them there was only 49.

Hi

Its possible that the OP did not have all the information to make a correct choice - He may well think everybody has a food safe hose.

That's why this forum is so popular, now we have answered his question, he's happy to have all the information needed.

This doesn't apply to everyone of course - some people know it all !

Alex

No one has mentioned this, though it has been discussed by the forum on previous occasions: as most people do not drink the water from their boat's water tank, why would a food-safe hose be needed to fill it?

Hi

Its possible that the OP did not have all the information to make a correct choice - He may well think everybody has a food safe hose.

That's why this forum is so popular, now we have answered his question, he's happy to have all the information needed.

Alex

Well I would have thought it was like most things in life " use some common sense "

Darren

Hi

Alex

Well put Alex,

I think I agree - when I ditched my blue hose I asked about it on here in case I was missing something obvious as to switching to a normal Hozelock garden hose.

Weighed up the responses I got I then made an informed decision and yes I'm still alive....

Isn't this what this forum is about, ie not mocking peoples questions?

Well put Alex,

I think I agree - when I ditched my blue hose I asked about it on here in case I was missing something obvious as to switching to a normal Hozelock garden hose.

Weighed up the responses I got I then made an informed decision and yes I'm still alive....

Isn't this what this forum is about, ie not mocking peoples questions?

I'm really am not knocking him, just his question It's only a hose pipe it's not as if we are trying to send some man to mars.

Darren