Caldon Canal

troutfisher

Featured Posts

Bones!! :D:lol::lol:

Why are we assuming that 'someone created it', looks like a real ghost to me. There are many well documented sightings in the Harecastle going back 200 years.

Smelly:

If you have such a terror of kids, canal boating is probably not an ideal occupation for you, the little blighter's are all over the place, better to stay at hone behind your steel shuttered widows.

Edited by John Orentas

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Calden this summer and can confirm:

a) there are no developments that affect the waterway. Stoke tunnel is completed and the only development is of an old building nect to Planet lock.

:o Yes, the first six miles are a bit depressing, but the rest is wonderful.

c) The Hollybush is alive and well. Moored up outside the front door both times that we passed it without any difficulty - but did tend to arrive early

d) Didn't attempt the tunnel (far too high to get through) but teh moorings before the tunnel are OK - not as good as down the Uttoxeter branch though

e) If you feel in need of exercise the walk to Foxt from Froghall is good and the pub there is excellent

f) Leek branch is also definitely worth doing.

g) The Black Lion pub at Consall Forge is quaint - but the staff can be a little wierd.

Graham

P.S. If you do go to the pub at Foxt tell the landlady that you come with the personal recommendation from the customer that she threw a pint of beer over! <_<

i'm not trying to put anyone off as kids are back in school, but we were planning to do the caldon about 5 weeks ago and got put off by tales of rabid nippers at Hanley who, having been nicked already, had it in for boats.

We were there last spring, and even moored in the middle of the park for a few hours to let our kids play there. We had no problems, our kids must have scared theirs off :lol:

g) The Black Lion pub at Consall Forge is quaint - but the staff can be a little wierd.

The landlady of the Black Lion is fantastic, a couple of summers ago a young waitress was attempting without success to find the owner of a plate of food she was wandering around the garden with, reporting back to landlady "it's impossible, they won't take any notice when I shout".. "You need a gob like" mine she replied and took over the task, she was back in 20 seconds.

Watch out for the spiders in the tap room they're the size of rats, one clomped across the floor in front of me, near frightened me to death.

Sat for two hours waiting to see the famous bats as they leave their roost behind that wall mounted pub sign at dusk:- not a single one.

• 1 month later...
The winding hole beyond Leek Tunnel (Leek Branch) - just past the next bridge - was long enough for our 61 foot boat to turn with room to spare and there is a decent mooring spot there. Some older guides indicate longer boats can not turn beyond Leek tunnel.

Hi. Does anyone out there know for certain [ie have YOU actually done it] whether a full length (69'6") boat can be winded above Leek Tunnel ? I know it might be seen as a bit of an adventure, but I don't really fancy reversing back through the tunnel - although I suppose scraping along the tunnel walls will ensure that the boat goes backwards in more-or-less a straight line for once....

Pete.

Hi. Does anyone out there know for certain [ie have YOU actually done it] whether a full length (69'6") boat can be winded above Leek Tunnel ? I know it might be seen as a bit of an adventure, but I don't really fancy reversing back through the tunnel - although I suppose scraping along the tunnel walls will ensure that the boat goes backwards in more-or-less a straight line for once....

Pete.

Yes definitely!

I admit that we're only 67 feet long, but this summer we turned there with more than 10 feet to spare (there was a boat moored to the bank directly opposite the winding point, and we still had plenty of room left without having to ask him to move). So yes go through the tunnel, then if you're like us and not tyoo deep-draughted you can also reverse right back to the end as well (I'd be interested to know what length can actually turn at the very end, BW say 45' but I'll bet oit's a lot more than that!).

I'm just working on my website pages this evening, with photos, but probably won't have them all finished until nearly the end of next week; I'll post here when they're viewable.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
Yes definitely!

I admit that we're only 67 feet long, but this summer we turned there with more than 10 feet to spare (there was a boat moored to the bank directly opposite the winding point, and we still had plenty of room left without having to ask him to move). So yes go through the tunnel, then if you're like us and not tyoo deep-draughted you can also reverse right back to the end as well (I'd be interested to know what length can actually turn at the very end, BW say 45' but I'll bet oit's a lot more than that!).

I'm just working on my website pages this evening, with photos, but probably won't have them all finished until nearly the end of next week; I'll post here when they're viewable.

Allan

Just to clarify things, did you turn before Leek tunnel or beyond it at Bridge 9 ?

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I'd add a picture - for those of you who like steam railways (taken from the boat this summer)

P1010540r.jpg

Nice photo.

I unfortuantly left my camera behind for the trip, but have some photos from the varous other crew members. But no train scenes.

- I think ive mentioned before that both times up and down we got emilyanne side by side with there big american engine. Which was cracking fun.

emilyanne120mergeqc5.jpg

im003409sv0.jpg

im003419uz4.jpg

image6nm7.jpg

im003425aw5.jpg

Daniel

It gets a little tight in that tunnel doesn't it Daniel. How was the Basin at Froghall? Still full of weed ready to grab your prop as soon as you enter? I did hear BW were going to clear it. Good fishing tho.

It was clear of weed when I went there in August