Chav/Ned tactics?

IainW

Featured Posts

I take my phone out of my pocket and pretend to film them. They soon stop in my experience

Possibly an urban myth but haven't some folk got themselves into bother doing that? filing children without permission..

Possibly an urban myth but haven't some folk got themselves into bother doing that? filing children without permission..

If you do file them make sure it's under "C".

I think of him as Napoleon Salmond, it's only a matter of time before he declares himself Emperor; you might laugh but remember you heard it here first!

Joshua

I know what you mean, definitely a bit of a megalomaniac. I remember his presidential arrival across the lawn from his helicopter during the general election.

It's important to distinguish between incidents of kids mucking about and situations where you might be in real danger. The worst example I've heard of was where someone was taking pot shots with an air rifle at boaters and lockies on the Leeds Liverpool (near Leeds). In a situation like that it's simple, you dial 999. We intervened in a situation earlier this year when we arrived at a lock to find some kids throwing debris onto the boat going down. I eventually rang the police as that's an example of where someone could get hurt.

All this bravado about carrying a piece of four by two or whatever is so much macho nonsense.

But, the big problem on the canals is that you can't just run away. So you have to use the next best line of defence and act confidently and assertively.

If all else fails there's a tried and trusted method for getting out of a potentially threatening situation and that is to act like an idiot. Actually, reminds me of that Spike Milligan line;

"Soldier, you acted like a coward"

"i wasn't acting sir."

Anyway, whether it requires pretence or not, giving the impression of mental instability is a well known method of making someone beat a hasty retreat.

I met a guy on the towpath recently who seemed quite lucid until he started telling me how all the canals were in fact built 2000 years ago by a roman called Herr Willy, that he avoided motorways because they were radioactive, that my boat was definately 15th century (the surveyor never picked that up), and something about spreading coffee on the ground making the sun shine.

"Really?? er...goodness me is that the time..."

I guess if they were in a state of undress, or on private land.

But you can film what you like in public areas.

All this bravado about carrying a piece of four by two or whatever is so much macho nonsense.

a bunch of kids throw stones from a bridge down on to you. One brick landed in the water, 4 or 5ft away from me.

I dont know what your approach is, but I tend to give let someone else steer the boat and chase on foot. I havent actually used either the stick or the cable on anyone yet, and dont really intend to

I guess the correct approach is to call the police so they can fill some forms in?

Yes, it's a thorny area. But there's a difference between filming kids lobbing things at you off of a canal bridge, and filming someone else's children in a playpark...

If needed, I've got an SLR with an impressive-looking lense on the front, which caused the miscreants to scarper the one time we ever had any confrontation.

It's been really useful to read this, thanks folks. On a bike approaching neds, you just don't slow down. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option haha.

So next time i'll try to engage them in a bit of chit chat and see what results there are. If that doesn't work i'll wear my underpants on the outside and start running about like a crazed idiot on the roof whilst filming them. At least that will be an experience...

All in all we're loving the experience so far haggis but i knew in my heart of hearts urban areas would have their 'characters'. Auchinstarry is great and the stretch from Linlithgow to Winchburgh is beautiful too. Loads of nice folk on the cut too. Our blog is at http://nbmarbeck.wordpress.com/.

cheers,

Iain

It's definately an 'urban myth' and not helped by the tabloid press who regularily obscure the faces of children in their photographs to 'protect the child'. There is no law in the UK which prevents anyone taking photographs of children in public or in private. Where the confusion may arise from is s.1 of the Protection of Children Act 1978 and s.160 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 which makes it an offence to make or distribute indecent images of children.

A couple of 'helpful' links, one from the Torygraph; There is no law against photographing children

and this one from the CPS; S 1 Protection of Children Act 1978

HTH

Edited by PaulR

I'm CRB checked - next time I'll wave my certificate at them at the same time!

Perhaps a pressure washer with the intake hose in the canal... or if you're feeling particularly unpleasant, the sewerage tank :sick:

That sounds way cheaper than buying a self pumpout kit. What a good idea!