Single Females - Do you feel safe?

Clarity

Featured Posts

With that many fleas in your armpits you'll have the entire forum crawling.

;)

I am a bit concerned that as this group is repeatedly described as being for 'ladies' that I, as a mere woman, might not be welcome... :unsure:

Of course you are welcome if you want to that is, as its all about freedom of choice :)

I used to be a single guy on my boat and never had any more trouble than you would expect. We had a number of older single ladies in our boat club and they never had any trouble either. I would think that almost everything mentioned here could be applied to a house apart from the fact that you do chat more with your neighbour moorees on the boat dont you?

Like has been said, it just depends where you moor, and you can always move if you decide you dont like the company/locals/etc.

I always thought that regardless of gender if security is an issue the best strategy is to moor close to other boats and talk to your neighbours.If you ever needed help it is the people in your immediate physical vicinity who are most likely to be able to offer instant practical assistance.

Any boat related problems stand more of a chance of being answered if they are presented to the largest possible audience, rather than a limited membership support group.

PS: A pinned topic "where i am mooring tonight" for single females, some who will have their boat name listed against their profile, on a public forum might not be a great idea.

Edited by JDR

I am a bit concerned that as this group is repeatedly described as being for 'ladies' that I, as a mere woman, might not be welcome... :unsure:

If you describe yourself as a woman, you are probably nearer to being a lady than those who so style themselves.

It's another word lost to the language.

My first morning in the marina today and I stopped a lady to ask her about the wifi. Got chatting as you do and established that I am a lone girlie, and promptly got invited to a group lunch next Tuesday that apparently another lady here at Braunston arranges once a month for single ladies/ ladies at the marina who stay on the boat alone.

I thought this was rather nice and a nice system to have going here.

My first morning in the marina today and I stopped a lady to ask her about the wifi. Got chatting as you do and established that I am a lone girlie, and promptly got invited to a group lunch next Tuesday that apparently another lady here at Braunston arranges once a month for single ladies/ ladies at the marina who stay on the boat alone.

I thought this was rather nice and a nice system to have going here.

I wish we had the "like" button as we do on Facebook cos I would have used it for this post, but with only two greenies per day I've used mine up and can't give it a greenie! Sounds great Starry, and sounds like you're settling in well to the lifestyle.

Thanks Ange.

I have been busying today so have not had the chance to meet many people, but this lady was really welcoming, invited me to pop round for tea, came round past my boat later with the lady that organises the lunch to say hi... Lovely people.

And the people in the cafe were also great.

Everyone I have met here has been super! I like!

:blush: I meant for the non-singles to post where they are mooring so that the single females can see this...not the other way around....misinterpreted.

Oooooooookay, makes more sense! But logistically are you going to have every boater on the forum posting their current location on a daily basis?

Ooops...touched a nerve there....sorry. But yes, you could use it for that too..... :blush:

Dont take it personally, it's quite unlikely you've ever grabbed my rope, snatched my tool, told me to 'get back on the boat' or; todays new one, tried to grab my windlass.

I wish that the men who cant seem to get through locks without a wife as crew to be bossed around would realise that some of us are quite capable of getting through a lock ourselves without crew - we do it all the time. Dont tell us what to do!

We know how to moor up by ourselves - we do it all the time. If its a bit breezy & you think we need help then ASK first. Dont just try and grab the rope from our hands.

My all time favourite was the man who picked up my neatly coiled rope and was just about to drop it down onto the boat now that the lock had emptied and i was opening the gates - i'm not sure how he thought i'd get down onto the boat (deep middlewich lock) without pulling it under the ladder first - luckily i stopped him in time

Oooooooookay, makes more sense! But logistically are you going to have every boater on the forum posting their current location on a daily basis?

We dont need non-single boaters to post their location on a forum - we have eyes* we can see where other people are moored as we go past!

sheesh!

*apologies to any blind boaters for the generalisation

We dont need non-single boaters to post their location on a forum - we have eyes* we can see where other people are moored as we go past!

sheesh!

*apologies to any blind boaters for the generalisation

That's pretty much what I said in my original post.(#80) I don't understand the need for overcomplicating things.

Edited by JDR

That's pretty much what I said in my original post.(#80) I don't understand the need for overcomplicating things.

yes, your post #80 was the most sensible contribution from a man on this thread

Another thing i found strange to begin with but am now used to is the number of men who, on having just met & chatted to them for 5mins, ask 'do you live by yourself/alone [on the boat]'. Now if a stranger asked me outside my flat if i lived there alone I would be suspiciously thinking 'why do they want to know that'.

I dont think this is a male/female thing though - strangers of both sexes (boaters and passers by) tend to be much nosier and ask more personal questions when you live on a boat in my experience.

ha ha - I do have an imaginary dog on occasion..

One lone female boater that we met some years ago used to make a point of shouting down into the boat to ask an imaginary other half to stick the kettle on for a cup of tea if she felt at all nervous in any situation bank side. Seemed to work for her.

Roger

I read it to mean 'it's a crying shame that people don't feel safe walking a towpath because they feel society is dangerous to them. How sad that fear of crime inhibits good people from living their lives'. More an indictment of criminal offending than anything else.

I could be wrong.

Has anyone here ever been attacked on a towpath in the dark?

Or is it some kind of primeval fear that kicks in in the dark ... despite it usually being perfectly safe?

I enjoy long walks along towpaths in the dark - usually fairly rural ones or beyond the edges of towns. I find it refreshing and head-clearing after a day at work and the horrors of train commuting. My night vision seems pretty good, and I usually have a torch to hand if needed.

After dark I very rarely come across a non-boater on the towpath and, curiously, I have come to generally trust boaters in the dark (and light!). I suppose non-boaters don't usually equip themselves with a torch and the towpaths seem a foreign, mucky world for those not used to them.

I suppose if I did come across some troublesome people in the dark I'd act like a nutter, muttering obscenities and looking wild and such - taking a tip from those who regularly have to traverse Harlem in New York.

Ahh, Narrowboat world.

Past advice given by the police to keep away from canal towpaths in the dark would seem very sensible, as by their nature they are usually ill lit, if at all, and not well frequented.

...Completely forgetting the fact that half of their readership is kind of obliged to use dark towpaths on a regular basis, or perhaps they just think everyone should live in a marina and/ or not leave the boat after twilight?!

• Greenie 1

Ahh, Narrowboat world.

...Completely forgetting the fact that half of their readership is kind of obliged to use dark towpaths on a regular basis, or perhaps they just think everyone should live in a marina and/ or not leave the boat after twilight?!

Narrowboat World... the Daily Mail of waterway websites.

If every boater paid attention to half of the stuff on there no boat would leave its mooring and heaven forbid go near any built up area! ;)