Roof Storage

Featured Posts

Having seen a few boats on the system with wooden storage boxes on the roof, some open topped containing small logs and some with opening flaps containing mooring gear etc, are these just made by the owner or can they be purchased?

Stuart :)

I saw some being made out of scrap pallets to sit on the top of the roof last year in Bristol. Looked very nice, once painted, but nothing you couldn't knock up yourself. They were produced either open or pigeon-box style and fetched the rather less lovely price of £90 open and £140 lidded. I would hazard a guess that they might be a hazard on low or tight bridges, so I would be wary of over-deep boxes.

Having said that, I saw a boat last year that had a display of pelargoniums the size of a tropical rainforest stuck on the top. Didn't see them doing any cruising though..........

Jill :)

I saw a boat last year that had a display of pelargoniums the size of a tropical rainforest stuck on the top. Didn't see them doing any cruising though..........

.......just be careful what you do with your pelarg....... WHAT ????

(non-gardener) :)

• 1 year later...
I have seen the odd halfords 'roofbox' ...

I'm about to put an old halfords roofbox on the roof of Epiphany, but am concerned that it might cause problems at low bridges. We're on the K&A at Devizes. According to the Canal Trust the maximum air draught is 8' (2.4m) on the K&A. I presume that means the lowest bridge is 8' above normal canal water level. But a lot of bridges are parabolic / semicircular / curved, so what does 8' really mean?

When we escape onto the Thames and the canals north of said river, when will I have a problem with a roof box? I realise I'm going to have to measure the height from water to top of roof box, and will when its on board.

Having a cratch cover over the bow cockpit, it's not going to be easy to move the box onto the bow area. Has anyone come up with a clever solution? We could leave the roof box with the car if necessary, as long as we have a car...., but that defeats the object of boat roof storage.

I saw storage boxes for narrowboat roofs, plus fitted covers at Braunston Boats chandlery. I half-remember the make being 'The Top Box' and thinking I'll maybe order one, but I can't find the name on the net so I may have made a mistake. Someone told me you can get different sizes and they come with a base coat of paint and you add the top coat yourself. I also vaguely remember £120 or thereabouts.

I saw storage boxes for narrowboat roofs, plus fitted covers at Braunston Boats chandlery. I half-remember the make being 'The Top Box' and thinking I'll maybe order one, but I can't find the name on the net so I may have made a mistake. Someone told me you can get different sizes and they come with a base coat of paint and you add the top coat yourself. I also vaguely remember £120 or thereabouts.

.. have to wean you off those vague pills, Carrie .. ^_^

Contact details for TopBox are 'TOPBOX6@aol.com', Nick Atton.

I think Braunston Boats are an agent/supplier of TopBoxes.

When I spoke to Nick he was most helpful. Not only do they do standard sizes, supplied in primer for you to paint a topcoat to match the boat it will sit on, but I have spoken to a boat owner who had one made to a non-standard size.