Any overnight moorings in the Hatton flight?

Neil Corbett

Featured Posts

It looks like we'll be arriving at the top of Hatton flight mid/ late afternoon with insufficient time to get down the same day. Is there anywhere part way down where we could tie up for the night?

If not and we do it all the following day? Where would be a good place to overnight around Warwick?

Thanks.

I believe it is possible but you run the risk of getting there and someone has had the same idea, then having to complete the flight.

RLWP (hope that's the right order) should know.

I am sure he will pick up the thread.

There are visitor moorings at the top, although by choice I#d moor up just beyond Hatton station. The moorings are in a gloomy cutting

People moor up in the long pound near the bottom (after the second lock IIRC), or by Middle lock lane. We have moored by the petrol station, but I wouldn't recommend it

Does that help?

In Warwick, go to the Cape of Good Hope by Cape locks

Richard

Richard gave us the same advice and we moored a ways back from the top in a lovely stretch (thanks Richard!). That was where we found our boat companions for the following day. And I primed the cafe that afternoon so as we arrived at the top of the locks, I dashed in to pick up the pre-paid bacon and sausage baps for all those on the two boats! Made the first few locks go with a real swing!! :P

Richard gave us the same advice and we moored a ways back from the top in a lovely stretch (thanks Richard!). That was where we found our boat companions for the following day. And I primed the cafe that afternoon so as we arrived at the top of the locks, I dashed in to pick up the pre-paid bacon and sausage baps for all those on the two boats! Made the first few locks go with a real swing!! :P

Now, that's clever. Last time we tried to get a sandwich from the cafe, it was going to be over an hour's wait

Richard

... We have moored by the petrol station, but I wouldn't recommend it

I parked up there on my way to Napton in the way back when. Someone took issue with us doing that, but I can't remember who and I can't remember why. There was another boat there at the time (it definitely wasn't them).

Seconded!

I love the way the pub faces onto the canal and NOT the road.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Thirded!. Stopped there for a couple of days in the summer. I couldn't even find a road entrance whilst walking out of the town back towards the canal!

• 6 months later...

The Saltisford Canal Trust have plenty of secure moorings available in the centre of Warwick, five minutes cruising to the bottom of the Hatton flight

http://www.saltisfordcanal.co.uk/

Cost is £4 per night.

The site has water and electric on the visitor moorings, canal shop and a laundrette.

Very close to the centre of warwick and shops ( much closer than the Cape moorings)

Not a good idea to moor on the flight as some pounds can lose water overnight.

• Greenie 1

We arrived at the top with the intention of setting off down early the next morning but did as has been suggested here and moored up well before the locks so we were not in the cutting. We arose early next morning with the intention of moving onto the lock moorings and starting breakfast to see if another boat joined us to share the locks. As I was still bleary eyed with my first cup of coffee and in my dressing gown a boat came past! We could not believe anyone was setting off down so early and there was no way we could be ready to catch him up so we took it easy and set off around an hour later with an eye for boats arriving.

We made a start down the locks and each of them was against us which we expected due to the boat having gone down earlier. I spotted a boat on it's way up and was relieved that a few locks would then be in our favour. Oddly apart from one lock they were all against us :wacko: I could not understand how this could be. I had kept looking down the flight and had seen nothing. Then another boat came into view on it's way up and they had an advance locking crew who walked up to where we were and asked if we knew there was a boat 3 locks ahead of us! Aparrently he was a single hander with little experience and was getting very tired at trying to do all the locks on his own :angry: I am thinking well why on earth has he not waited for us instead of going ahead and setting every lock against us making it harder for us. It appears each time I had peered down the flight he must have been on his boat. I had wondered if I had seen a paddle up at one point but decided it was a trick of the light. I walked down the locks and told him to stay put where he was until we could catch him. Then we breasted the boats up so he and I could work the locks while Dave steered the boats through. I think if I was in the same situation again with a plan to tackle a wide flight we could share with someone else I would put a notice in the window the night before saying we plan to do the locks first thing and for boaters who wish to do the same to knock so we can plan what time to set off.

We arrived at the top with the intention of setting off down early the next morning but did as has been suggested here and moored up well before the locks so we were not in the cutting. We arose early next morning with the intention of moving onto the lock moorings and starting breakfast to see if another boat joined us to share the locks. As I was still bleary eyed with my first cup of coffee and in my dressing gown a boat came past! We could not believe anyone was setting off down so early and there was no way we could be ready to catch him up so we took it easy and set off around an hour later with an eye for boats arriving.

We made a start down the locks and each of them was against us which we expected due to the boat having gone down earlier. I spotted a boat on it's way up and was relieved that a few locks would then be in our favour. Oddly apart from one lock they were all against us :wacko: I could not understand how this could be. I had kept looking down the flight and had seen nothing. Then another boat came into view on it's way up and they had an advance locking crew who walked up to where we were and asked if we knew there was a boat 3 locks ahead of us! Aparrently he was a single hander with little experience and was getting very tired at trying to do all the locks on his own :angry: I am thinking well why on earth has he not waited for us instead of going ahead and setting every lock against us making it harder for us. It appears each time I had peered down the flight he must have been on his boat. I had wondered if I had seen a paddle up at one point but decided it was a trick of the light. I walked down the locks and told him to stay put where he was until we could catch him. Then we breasted the boats up so he and I could work the locks while Dave steered the boats through. I think if I was in the same situation again with a plan to tackle a wide flight we could share with someone else I would put a notice in the window the night before saying we plan to do the locks first thing and for boaters who wish to do the same to knock so we can plan what time to set off.

why was there no one like you there when i did the flight single handed on the first day of having a boat

:(

really killed me, one of the toughest 5 hours of my boating trip

why was there no one like you there when i did the flight single handed on the first day of having a boat

:(

really killed me, one of the toughest 5 hours of my boating trip

It can be a tough one! We do have some history with Hatton - We seem to make a habit of vounteering to get boats down there after tha Lapworth banter and last year we, with the assistance of Bazza2 managed to get NB Alwick down through the flight in 1 hour 55 mins in the pooring rain!

The thing is Dave and I actually quite enjoy locks and have been known to volunteer to assist all sorts of people through locks all over the place. It even led to us doing the Farmers Bridge flight in Birmingham twice in a row before 10am one morning (and our boat had not moved from it's mooring!)

Doing locks on your own is very hard work and the more tired you get the more difficult it becomes. I would always suggest that if you are not in a terrible rush to get through them then it is always worth waiting and hoping that another boat comes along at wide locks. If people feel daunted by the prospect of doing a flight single handed then start a thread on here and see if there are any offers of help! We have been very ably assisted by forum members who do not not own their own boat but relished the chance to do a bit of boating and wield a windlass before now (and they even brought home made fruit pie!) After all it costs nothing to ask and the worst that can happen is you get no offers of help.

We've never stopped in the flight itself, but we have stopped a couple of times in the long pound above Cape Locks, and we've never had a problem, although it is close to housing. There's a decent pub not too far away - About 15 mins walk from the cut. Go over the footbridge (half way between Cape Locks and Br. 49) then past the Hospital. The Wild Boar.

A few years ago there was an incident and the flight was reputedly closed - but no sign of anyone controlling.

So we went down to the lock above the yard where there was no water..

Moored in the disused narrow lock.

Nobody complained or asked us to move back. Hardly an useful place to moor from the point f splitting the journey.

Locks were refilled overnight and a body was found a few days later when it floated to the surface.

The mid flight "mooring" isn't really such - it's a lock layby, so doubly breaking the rules. - but who gives an asterisk about rules today??

Not a lot - pity. No Esprit.

While on a minor rant, why do so many avoid working down together?

We've had great fun inviting folks to breast up - and when they do my Management takes more pleasure in driving the boat - which she does exceedingly well. Several folks have said "we never knew you could do that" ??Uhhh??

Locks work much better when they are used by craft of the full gauge. But people seem happier to bounce around entering a broad lock one at a time, which can be challenging as the first occupant will inevitably be sucked over by the laws of fluid flow, or so an ancient Italian gentleman tells me.

Edited by OldGoat

It can be a tough one! We do have some history with Hatton - We seem to make a habit of vounteering to get boats down there after tha Lapworth banter and last year we, with the assistance of Bazza2 managed to get NB Alwick down through the flight in 1 hour 55 mins in the pooring rain!

The thing is Dave and I actually quite enjoy locks and have been known to volunteer to assist all sorts of people through locks all over the place. It even led to us doing the Farmers Bridge flight in Birmingham twice in a row before 10am one morning (and our boat had not moved from it's mooring!)

Doing locks on your own is very hard work and the more tired you get the more difficult it becomes. I would always suggest that if you are not in a terrible rush to get through them then it is always worth waiting and hoping that another boat comes along at wide locks. If people feel daunted by the prospect of doing a flight single handed then start a thread on here and see if there are any offers of help! We have been very ably assisted by forum members who do not not own their own boat but relished the chance to do a bit of boating and wield a windlass before now (and they even brought home made fruit pie!) After all it costs nothing to ask and the worst that can happen is you get no offers of help.

IIRC Bazza went ahead and got the slow mature couple on the ever so shiney boat down the flight ahead of Anlwick and Andante so as not to slow them up. The plate of sandwiches being handed around in the pouring rain made me chuckle but was most welcome even if slightly damp. :P

IIRC Bazza went ahead and got the slow mature couple on the ever so shiney boat down the flight ahead of Anlwick and Andante so as not to slow them up. The plate of sandwiches being handed around in the pouring rain made me chuckle but was most welcome even if slightly damp. :P

Sandwiches? I don't remember sandwiches!

So much for teamwork....PAH!

Sandwiches? I don't remember sandwiches!

So much for teamwork....PAH!

The sandwiches were the previous year (I remember cake too!) and were made by Mrs Tawny Owl and brought along to the team. I just remember last year being WET! If you have learned anything about team work and lock wheeling then it is likely to be to stay close to wherever the best chance of food is :cheers:

The sandwiches were the previous year (I remember cake too!) and were made by Mrs Tawny Owl and brought along to the team. I just remember last year being WET! If you have learned anything about team work and lock wheeling then it is likely to be to stay close to wherever the best chance of food is :cheers:

The year before??????

I'm getting old. That seems like six months ago. Just checked the date of this video and you are correct Jan. (as usual)

The Saltisford Arm in Warwick is always good for an overnight stop.

Agreed -stay at Saltisford Arm - excellent place to stop for seeing Warwick and its Castle, easy walk into town and to Sainsburys. Also very close to a frequent bus stop to take you into Lemington Spa (the moorings at Lemington Spa aren't great).

On the Saltisford Arm you can have electric, full facilities including self service laundrette (and big book exchange).

From memory, its first night free, then a couple of pounds a night there after - don't quote me on that though ;)