thames accident

the grinch

Featured Posts

heard on the breeze radio late last night that one of the thames passenger boats has hit the new millenium bridge sometime last night a few injuries but thankfully the boat has stayed afloat

thank god it wasn't as serious as the Marchoness! no more details at the moment, but i'm sure it will be all over the news today!

kev

heard on the breeze radio late last night that one of the thames passenger boats has hit the new millenium bridge sometime last night a few injuries but thankfully the boat has stayed afloat

thank god it wasn't as serious as the Marchoness! no more details at the moment, but i'm sure it will be all over the news today!

kev

Must have been some sort of mechanical failure I reckon whilst docking, preventing the skipper from stopping. Those things are seriously fast so hitting a bridge could have been very nasty.

However the artcle saya it hit Tower Millenium Pier, not a bridge. So this would have been a low speed bump not a 40 knott crash.

However the artcle saya it hit Tower Millenium Pier, not a bridge. So this would have been a low speed bump not a 40 knott crash.

40 Knots ?

I'm rather surprised that that BBC linky also brings up a much older article that says "Passenger vessels operating in the vicinity of Greenwich and in central London are now restricted to a maximum speed of 12 knots."

Older BBC Linky about "new" Thames speed limits.

Yeah! Right! - I'm sure none of the "Clippers passing us were at more that 12 knots! :lol:

Let's hope it wasn't trying to dodge some errant narrow boat pulling some daft stunt that moves us one step closer to a ban on narrowboats on the tideway!

40 Knots ?

I'm rather surprised that that BBC linky also brings up a much older article that says "Passenger vessels operating in the vicinity of Greenwich and in central London are now restricted to a maximum speed of 12 knots."

Older BBC Linky about "new" Thames speed limits.

Yeah! Right! - I'm sure none of the "Clippers passing us were at more that 12 knots! :lol:

Let's hope it wasn't trying to dodge some errant narrow boat pulling some daft stunt that moves us one step closer to a ban on narrowboats on the tideway!

Well I've been on a Thames Clipper which I reckon travelled at a good 40mph for the first mile or so from near the Thames Barrier when we got on, which I accept is only my estimate. Stood on the outside deck and sticking my head out to look forwards the wind ands spray in my face was so strong I could not bear it on my face for more that a second or so, and the speed over the water was phenomenal! Felt just like sticking my head out of a car window at 50mph hence my speed estimate.

I agree as the trip back to Waterloo progressed the Clipper's speed grew ever slower as the stops got ever closer, but the first long leg was a very high speed experience.

I'm not certain but,i think going down stream the 12 knot limit ends at Tower bridge or just after.

I can find references to "Lower Pool" so down to Rotherite it seems ????

Looks like it may still only be advisory, with a view to it becoming part of the bye-laws.

PLA Lower Pool to Wandsworth Reach - Advisory 12 Knot Speed Limit. Linky

This link implies Thames Clippers have slowed down a lot ?

"Commuters angry as river speed limit is halved"

Edited by alan_fincher

I can find references to "Lower Pool" so down to Rotherite it seems ????

Looks like it may still only be advisory, with a view to it becoming part of the bye-laws.

PLA Lower Pool to Wandsworth Reach - Advisory 12 Knot Speed Limit. Linky

This link implies Thames Clippers have slowed down a lot ?

"Commuters angry as river speed limit is halved"

Years ago in the early 1970's i went on a free demo trip from Westminster pier to Greenwich,on an Italian owned passenger carrying Hydrofoil,that was about to launch a ferry service. And i seem to remember the skipper saying, we can open up after Tower bridge which it did do 40 knots on the plane. I don't think the service came to anything though.

Well I've been on a Thames Clipper which I reckon travelled at a good 40mph for the first mile or so from near the Thames Barrier when we got on, which I accept is only my estimate. Stood on the outside deck and sticking my head out to look forwards the wind ands spray in my face was so strong I could not bear it on my face for more that a second or so, and the speed over the water was phenomenal! Felt just like sticking my head out of a car window at 50mph hence my speed estimate.

I agree as the trip back to Waterloo progressed the Clipper's speed grew ever slower as the stops got ever closer, but the first long leg was a very high speed experience.

From the thames clipper web site it would appear that the top speed is 28 knots:

http://www.thamesclippers.com/our-fleet/our-fleet.html

As you mention above Tower Bridge they do not get the opportunity to go very fast even if they were allowed to as the stops are only a short distance apart.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

• 4 weeks later...

To clarify the exact point in which clippers ease down is at wapping and then above that there is a max speed of 12knots. Below wapping there is only a wash limit. The big clippers can do up to about 28-30knots with the tide.

"Knots" is speed through the water. 30 knots with a 4 knot tide gives a speed of about 34 mph relative to the land, or against the tide a speed of about 26 mph relative to the land. "About", as 1 knot is actually 1 nautical mile per hour, equal to about 1.15 land miles per hour.

(edited as I can't add - or spell)

Edited by Tam & Di

In London 12konts top speed 34 knots but alt of the time they doing about 28 knots I Bern working on the boats for about 4 years now I just do part time they now

Nice boat to work on

Power by m.t.u v12 + 2