hallmark 35ft

stevewest

Featured Posts

Hello and welcome!

Hallmarks were a supercheap brand so, unless the previous owner has made additions, don't expect any frills.

found this one on ebay would you please have a look at it[only one]lots of extra stuff it seems

but dont want to rush into it but i do no i dont..hart over head...help steve.

found this one on ebay would you please have a look at it[only one]lots of extra stuff it seems

but dont want to rush into it but i do no i dont..hart over head...help steve.

When they were around I heard rumours about porous welds so if I found water in the accommodation bilge I would be more than a little suspicious.

thank you tony if i find water anywere other than on the outside i will think hard about it thanks mate

I think all or most were cruiser sterns so do not worry overmuch about small amounts of water in the engine bilge. That could easily be rain or a slight leak on the stern gland.

My first NB was a 40' Hallmark (1999) and I just could not get a dry bilge.

The 'drain holes'at the bottom of the steps down into the cabin drained into the bilge (as they were below the water line).

Automatic bilge pump mandatory !!!!

Because of the slight 'lean' to starboard the rain ran to that side and down the steps. Even a leaf could block these holes and an inch of water meant it went over the step and into the cabin.

Fitted a pram-hood which helped but still had a damp (rather than wet) bilge.

A great first boat , basic, but had everything we needed, performed well in both forwards and reverse.

I'll try and dig out some pics.

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSCF0023-1.jpgDSCF0004-4.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

My folks bought a Hallmark 35ft new in 1998 and I would agree with the comments above regarding the rear deck drainage particularly. It was a good boat as long as you bore in mind that it was a cheap build and corners may have been cut hear and there, such as not dressing welds or leaving wiring loose! New I think it cost around £17,500.

Hello and welcome!

Hallmarks were a supercheap brand so, unless the previous owner has made additions, don't expect any frills.

thank's for your reply Athy it will help me when I view the littel lady on saterday,cheer's

Thank you for that,very helpfull,and the time you took to do them pic's brill!! so knowing what you know now would you do it again..same boat,I would be gratefull for any other tip's.

The 'drain holes'at the bottom of the steps down into the cabin drained into the bilge (as they were below the water line).

Because of the slight 'lean' to starboard the rain ran to that side and down the steps. Even a leaf could block these holes and an inch of water meant it went over the step and into the cabin.

A great first boat , basic, but had everything we needed, performed well in both forwards and reverse.

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

I think all or most were cruiser sterns so do not worry overmuch about small amounts of water in the engine bilge. That could easily be rain or a slight leak on the stern gland.

Thank you Tony I shall go there with a much better understanding thanks to you guy's

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

she looks real classy to me.

Thank you for that,very helpfull,and the time you took to do them pic's brill!! so knowing what you know now would you do it again..same boat,I would be gratefull for any other tip's.

Thank you Tony I shall go there with a much better understanding thanks to you guy's

........... so knowing what you know now would you do it again..same boat,I would be gratefull for any other tip's.

When we got her she was 3 years old (but at the time we put her down as 15+ due to her condition) The Bilge had been flooded half way up the engine, the alternator was rusted almost sold and the gearbox flooded and ruined - she had been 'cleaned up' and dried out & non of this came to light on the surveyors report.

We fitted an exchange gearbox, removed the wardrobe and enlarged the bathroom to take a bath, built the lounge furniture, laminate-floored and re-painted her.

Your 1st boat is always the 'best' but she was superb - not had another one I could reverse as well.

Yes - I'd have another Hallmark.

Tip 1) Keep the drain holes at the bottom of the steps clear at all times.

Tip 2) Have an automatic bilge pump.

Tip 3) Keep battery well charged to supply the bilge pump

Tip 4) Have some sort of cover (either a Tonneau or pram-hood) to cover the backend when you are going away.

Tip 4) Make an offer 20% lower than the asking price (maybe a higher % if its been for sale for some time)

Tip 5) If you are having a surveyor make sure you spell out exactly what you want looking at - generally they will not lift carpet or even the hatch into the cabin bilge. As these boats are suseptible to flooding due to the aforementioned drain holes being blocked its well worth getting the floor and below-floor checked out if possible.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you so much for your advice,best ever i'm over whelmed with your responce I shall keep you informed on my progress as I say she's on ebay the red one at walton it looks good now with your advice

I will look at her with a more informed eye ,it's got lots of stuff,lots of work done.there I go wwwooooo boy//thanks Alen

When we got her she was 3 years old (but at the time we put her down as 15+ due to her condition) The Bilge had been flooded half way up the engine, the alternator was rusted almost sold and the gearbox flooded and ruined - she had been 'cleaned up' and dried out & non of this came to light on the surveyors report.

We fitted an exchange gearbox, removed the wardrobe and enlarged the bathroom to take a bath, built the lounge furniture, laminate-floored and re-painted her.

Your 1st boat is always the 'best' but she was superb - not had another one I could reverse as well.

Yes - I'd have another Hallmark.

Tip 1) Keep the drain holes at the bottom of the steps clear at all times.

Tip 2) Have an automatic bilge pump.

Tip 3) Keep battery well charged to supply the bilge pump

Tip 4) Have some sort of cover (either a Tonneau or pram-hood) to cover the backend when you are going away.

Tip 4) Make an offer 20% lower than the asking price (maybe a higher % if its been for sale for some time)

Tip 5) If you are having a surveyor make sure you spell out exactly what you want looking at - generally they will not lift carpet or even the hatch into the cabin bilge. As these boats are suseptible to flooding due to the aforementioned drain holes being blocked its well worth getting the floor and below-floor checked out if possible.

Just a couple of other thoughts :

With a 'short' boat of 35ft you are 'wasting' about 6ft at each end so your effective living space is nearer 20 foot.

Adding a pram-hood not only keeps the water out but gives you another 6ft 'room' which can be used as a 'patio'/ conservatory even if its a bit cool or raining. Put a table leg holder into the deck boards you can set up a table there and eat al-fresco.

At the pointy end put a cratch cover on and you have somewehere to store your wet clothes, wellies etc.

Cost of a pram hood will be in the region of £1500 (just had one fitted a couple of weeks ago) and around £500 for the cratch cover.

Suggest you plan for these in your budget / offer.

Looks a nice boat and if you can get it at the right price it would be even better.

Good luck

My folks bought a Hallmark 35ft new in 1998 and I would agree with the comments above regarding the rear deck drainage particularly. It was a good boat as long as you bore in mind that it was a cheap build and corners may have been cut hear and there, such as not dressing welds or leaving wiring loose! New I think it cost around £17,500.

Hello and thanks Avonside so that was the new price very interesting..mmm I'm thinking what would be the right price today,going to look at weekend you have helped me go along with

better understanding

again Thank you best regards.and will keep you posted,Steve.

Thank you Alan going to try 20% off asking price,thank'sfor looking do you know much about the Sole engine, the money saved will be spent as you recomend,will keep you posted

best regards Steve

Just a couple of other thoughts :

With a 'short' boat of 35ft you are 'wasting' about 6ft at each end so your effective living space is nearer 20 foot.

Adding a pram-hood not only keeps the water out but gives you another 6ft 'room' which can be used as a 'patio'/ conservatory even if its a bit cool or raining. Put a table leg holder into the deck boards you can set up a table there and eat al-fresco.

At the pointy end put a cratch cover on and you have somewehere to store your wet clothes, wellies etc.

Cost of a pram hood will be in the region of £1500 (just had one fitted a couple of weeks ago) and around £500 for the cratch cover.

Suggest you plan for these in your budget / offer.

Looks a nice boat and if you can get it at the right price it would be even better.

Good luck

The Sole fitted to my folks boat was a reliable little engine, the mini 29 I think from memory, and it managed perfectly well even after we had stretched the boat from 30' to 46'. The problems we had were with the electrics and the alternator which couldn't cope with the demand from the 2 leisure batteries and starting battery and we fitted a larger unit after the original gave up! Spares were a little awkward as you are limited in where to obtain them but the distributors were usually very good about sending bits via post or carrier.

As long as you accept that these were no frills boats built down to a price rather than up to a standard then you will find them a handy and inexpensive boat. However, keep in mind that because of this the steelwork used was definitely heading towards the minimum thickness you would want.

As an aside, and I'm not convinced of the truth of this tale, but I did hear tell of a Hallmark owner who, on his first outing after taking delivery of his boat, reached the first lock and discovered that the boat didn't fit. Upon measuring it he discovered it was just over 7' wide instead of 6'10"...

Add:

Just had a look at the ebay ad, it looks like a very basic Hallmark with very little added in the way of frills inside.

Oh and having just asked... my folks boat was £14,500 when new in 1999 and I got the length wrong in the first post too, it was a 30' not 35'... Doh!

Edited by avonside1563

Nigel wrote:-

"As an aside, and I'm not convinced of the truth of this tale, but I did hear tell of a Hallmark owner who, on his first outing after taking delivery of his boat, reached the first lock and discovered that the boat didn't fit. Upon measuring it he discovered it was just over 7' wide instead of 6'10"..."

I can vouch for this. The unfortunate owner was a member of our boat club, and found that he was unable to get his boat into the bottom lock at Hurleston ( not the only boat that suffers from that problem). I seem to recall that he spent quite a lot of money on having it professionally measured, and managed to get it up the Llangollen by diligent use of an angle grinder. I think, if memory serves me right, that Hallmark offered to take it back and give him another one, but nothing came of it as they went under while he was still negotiating the deal. He gave up boating shortly afterwards.

Another useless snippet, the shells were bought in from somewhere and fitted out in an industrial unit in Flint. Also, his engine was fitted so close to the cabin bulkhead that it was very awkward indeed to check drivebelts and other bits.

Mike

Not useless at all Mike, an interesting bit of info. Who built the shells? As Hallmark were a volume producer, it can't have been just two blokes in a shed with a welding torch and a dodgy tape measure. I thought that they built their own shells.

Not useless at all Mike, an interesting bit of info. Who built the shells? As Hallmark were a volume producer, it can't have been just two blokes in a shed with a welding torch and a dodgy tape measure. I thought that they built their own shells.

At the time all this was going on I was still gainfully employed, and only caught occasional glimpses of the front or back end of a boat sticking out of the roller doors of the unit. When they started fitting them out in Flint there was considerable local publicity and pictures in the local papers of the shells and completed boats being moved. I can't remember any mention being made of the origin of the shells, but of course they could well have fabricated their own elsewhere. It was hailed as another welcome addition to employment opportunities in this part of north Wales but didn't last all that long.

Mike

Sounds rather like the more recent Deeside Narrowboats, who exhibited possibly the least attractive new boat I have ever seen, at Crick maybe five years ago. I wonder if either or both companies was/were attracred there by the grants available to firms creating new jobs in areas of high unemployment.